Newies not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankee000

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just looking for some assistance. I'm reasonably new at keeping pythons(I kept a couple several years back but moved them on to better carers as I was renovating and moving). I have 2 Darwins, 1 Albino and 1 Het, both hatched between Nov and Dec last year. I have just moved them into their enclosures 9 days ago and have attempted 3 feeds(every 3 days) and both are not interested in what I'm giving them.
Breeder has given me all indications that the Het was a solid feeder and the female was too, although she only ate every second feed, but I'm starting to get worried as to me, they don't know what they're doing.

I've tried pinky and velvet mice and pinky rats but they just have a sniff and continue along their way. Best case scenario I've had is they snap at the food a couple of times and then move along.

Should I be worried at this stage? I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong.
Enclosure Temps are fine and I haven't tried scenting.

Thanks

As long as you are sure your temps are good, I would suggest leaving them alone for at least a week, even two, before attempting to feed them again.
Quite possibly they are a little stressed at the move.

Make sure they are not bothered by comings and goings past their enclosures ie: move the enclosures into a little used room, or if you cannot do that, throw a sheet/towel over them.
Don't disturb them at all except to clean or give fresh water (even water they will get by without for a few days).

Attempt a feed after a week (or two) if they don't take it then, repeat the process.
Good luck

If they have snapped at the food, they will eventually eat. As the others have said, leave them alone for at least a week. Make sure they have plenty of small hides. After a week or two, try a feed at night with whatever the breeder was using for food. If no luck, try again in a week or two. If you are getting nowhere, try moving them back into a tub for a while.

Thanks guys...generic collective term used for a group of people, not just men ;-)...

The enclosures are fairly large, but they have plenty of hides (rocks & plants) and I generally wake up to find them nestled underneath the plastic leaves...
I might try covering up the glass as they would see a lot going on in the evenings between 6pm-10pm when we're in the loungeroom.

Thanks again :)

If the enclosure is large i would possibly look at putting them into click-clacks and putting them somewhere quiter while they are still at this age, then move them back into the larger enclosure in several months once they have established a good feeding pattern.

happyherp

hi i am only ney to reptiles i will be getting my first diamond python in a couple of weeks any way from the multitude of info i have been sifting through latley i agree with the above mentioned posts wait a couple of weeks to let them settle in and try again not sure if anyone else thought of this though but from what i have read a fair few pythons go through a cooling off period over winter or if not cooled will go off thier food instead now i dont no where bouts u live but its already gettin cold down here near port maq if they still refuse in a couple of weeks this could be why? also i read if u using already dead mice/rats defrost em in warm water in the sink so that wen it comes out it should be slightly warm to touch wich means about our body temp so they can sense the heat also if that fails try tapping the mice/rat on the snake behind the head on the neck area this will apparently cause a natural strike reaction from the snake as soon as this happens let the food item go so the snake can coil around it i hope this helps

from what i have read a fair few pythons go through a cooling off period over winter or if not cooled will go off thier food instead now i dont no where bouts u live but its already gettin cold down here near port maq if they still refuse in a couple of weeks this could be why?
also i read if u using already dead mice/rats defrost em in warm water in the sink so that wen it comes out it should be slightly warm to touch wich means about our body temp so they can sense the heat also if that fails try tapping the mice/rat on the snake behind the head on the neck area this will apparently cause a natural strike reaction from the snake as soon as this happens let the food item go so the snake can coil around it i hope this helps

Young pythons (under a year) generally do not 'cool down' over the colder months. That is something you can expect mature pythons to do.
Under a year, they are usually on 24 hour heat :)

Dead, frozen mice/rats should always be used. Never feed live. Warm through with hot tap water. If your enclosure temperatures are correct, and a sufficient settling in period observed, problems should be minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back