"FEAR" & respect a "BIG" Difference in IMO

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

solar 17

As this site has/was/is become a forum l must confess it never ceases to amaze me how many people ask "what if my snake bites me" shouldn't this topic have been considered "before" you acquired the reptile, because the part that gets to me is what if the reptile gets into some hazzardess situation where it becomes anxious are you going to leave it there because its become "bitey" or are your able to overcome your fear and lets be real thats what it is and help your pet or jump on a forum and yell for help because you were and lets face it "a redneck" and purchased an animal without thinking about the purchase from "all angles" so your friends and rellies would think you a "real tuffie" but imo at the animals expense.....maybe just maybe a lot if not all these newbies should seek out an experienced herper spray themselves with f10
and just see how they go or even watch how a cage protective reptile is handled "WITH RESPECT" and NOT with a big dose of "l WILL WIN" as a fair few of the newer herpers seem to have trouble grasping "ALL" of our reptiles came from the wide open spaces at some point in theirs or their forbears lives or maybe ask a experienced and TRUSTED herper to give you a few scenarioes of what "could and does" happen instead of waiting until the critical moment ARRIVES.......solar 17 [Baden]...ps its its my lifes experience there is no such thing as a DUMB question but there are DUMB answers....

i agree completely. Im very new to owning my snake and i did truck loads of research before i got her. If youve never been bitten before it is a little nerve wrenching though... i know everyone says it doesnt hurt but its been drilled into us as children. I have over come any fear though and have been bitten a couple of times. not so bad =]

I think this applies to all "pets" in general
People have got to realize that so called domestication doesnt mean squat if you cant take care of another animal properly, animals can and do fight back & demand respect

I think that keeping a snappy python isnt any harder than keeping a placid python, the only difference is you cant usually handle a snappy python, which is a bummer. If your scared of it biting you, dont touch it and just have fun viewing it behind the glass, until you gather enough courage to hold it.

I agree wholeheartedly with Solar 17

Plus it does take a huge amount of intelligence to be a good reptile handler. Most people are intelligent they just don't use it to their advantage.

Reptiles are NOT pets they are protected native fauna and it is a privledge for us to keep and care for them.

Therefore learn the reptiles "psyche" (once understood) there should be no problems. Just MHO :)

Last edited:
I think that keeping a snappy python isnt any harder than keeping a placid python, the only difference is you cant usually handle a snappy python, which is a bummer.If your scared of it biting you, dont touch it and just have fun viewing it behind the glass, until you gather enough courage to hold it.

What do you do if it needs to be removed ASAP ... if it is injured , stuck or for what ever reason , just wait a few weeks till you build that courage up ??

And there is a huge difference in keeping a snappy snake to a placid one ...

I brought some young bredli off an APS member while back. Snappy little sods they were. I didn't not get a chance to fear this snakes as, by the time we had sexed and selected, I had had "suffered" three bites, none of which broke the skin. Perhaps this should be a condition of sale, you need to be bitten before taking them home.

PS. Unfortunately the bredli settled down, by the time they could actually draw blood, they lost interest in biting :(

I have a little jungle with a major aggression problem i'd say its small man syndrome but he still hasnt grown out of it. somedays hes great to handle and other times it's near imppossible just to get in to change his news paper and clean him out. I dont mind getting bitten by him though as its clearly just defensive and he never latches on. What does scare me more is a feed response from a Big python, Which i got from my big MD girl stupidly when i first got her trying to change her water after feeding her learnt my lesson there though and has never happened since.

there is a reason why we need a licence to keep these animals.
they deserve huge amounts of respect and if that is not given both parties will be worse off

It is a fact at some stage of your keeping experience you will recieve a bite, snakes do not have hands to tell you to stay away if they are having a bad day. And 9 times out of 10 a bite will come from a handlers error.
The one thing and this is the most important, as a handler you must over coming the urge to pull away suddenly once it's happen. Go with the flow and they will release eventually :)

Most bites are defensive bites when your snake wants nothing to do with you at the time. Respect the animal and they'll return the favour.....................

The only time I'm ever hesitant to handle one of my snakes is when my Woma goes into a food response type attitude. :lol: Then I jump around like a cat on a hot tin roof...

It's part of owning a snake, and anyone who can't accept this really shouldn't be owning them...

I know that im scared to take a bite from my adult snakes, fear is ok as long as your willing to make the sacrifice and cop a bite if the situation demands it. In saying that, with the right husbandry there shouldn't be any reason to have to put yourself in that situation.

It's the same for a lot of pets. It never ceases to amaze me some of the stupid questions I hear people asking in pet stores.. Basic questions they should have known the answer to BEFORE they got the animal :\

Pet stores definitely don't help much, either. What's with all the pet stores that sell heating rocks, calci-sand and other products that generally produce an unfavourable reaction in reptile keepers?.. Not to mention I see pet store selling reptile heating products which rarely have thermostats..

When I first got the hatchies the urge to pull away was there, but with this newest one it bites fairly frequently (usually just when I'm getting her out) and I don't even flinch now. It's kinda fun getting bitten and my mum and grandparents looking in horror. Soon I'll get the male from my gf's mums place and they cab play with him.

He is so placid, my gf introduced the jungle and the minie foxy together, Georgie (the jungle) stretched out and touched millies (the foxy) nose. No biting or anything, the just rubbed noses haha. Cute as. The dog was like *** and backed back. Now it just looks inquisitive all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
ive been bitten and scratched by cats/dogs that hurt more.. my bearded dragons claws rip the bejezuz out of me and it hurts more than the snake bites i get, but they dont know they are just walking... and i dont want to clip them :(

I am just facing the end result of exactly this problem right now
3 years ago someone bought a small retic thinking it would look great
It did look great and he provided a nice big viv etc etc
A couple of months later it bit him and the bite turned septic resulting in light surgery being required
It was never touched again because of fear
It is now nearly four metres long
Was fed two chickens once a month and is in pretty fine condition
Because everyone was scared of it and the enclosure was outside they simply hosed it off to clean the viv
Local kids would tease it etc to get it striking to show off to their friends
Easiest way for them to do this was a sharp stick
The owner is now returning to his home country and asked me to take the snake
retics are an extremely 'intelligent/cagey/wise' animal
This one knows every trick in the book and has invented some of its own but can never be considered for release like other ones we buy
simply because it has zero real hunting skills
Nobody else wanted it so if I didnt take it it would be killed
I have never seen a snake that hates people; with good reason; more than this one
But I have taken it on anyway, but knowing that one day its going to tag me hard
Probably the first retic that I am actually scared stiff of
I am confident that eventually I can calm it down but its going to take a while I think

Probably the first retic that I am actually scared stiff of
I am confident that eventually I can calm it down but its going to take a while I think

Good luck longqi. Let us know how you go.

My girlfriend said she wanted to tame the next retic we got
She has watched me do this several times and is getting quietly confident
She took one look at this monster when it swarmed out of the bag I brought it home in and immediately arranged to go away for a week
So Ive moved it into my bedroom so it can get used to my smell and start to realise its safe now
It has stopped striking when I walk past and sits out in the open more now instead of in its hide
So its on the way I hope but I havent tried to handle it yet

Any volunteers greatly accepted
Free food and board
[Maybe a few little holes to take home]
[and maybe a few sprung ribs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back