Climbed Mt. Timbrogagan (sort of)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Virides

Yesterday I had a grand idea that my brother and I go climb one of the Glasshouse Mountains. Never climbed a mountain before and was something different to do on the holidays.

I personally could only manage going up about 10% of the way (although this was the hardest part and for the most, the scariest section). My brother on the other hand already tried this mountain 2 times before and was determined to get to the top, which he did.

I just didnt trust my ability and the other rock climbers there said "If you are not confident, don't continue". Which was comforting when another climber freaked himself out and did the same thing, stopped goin. I always thought it was "being weak" but, everyone there was totally understanding that you are actually there risking your own life and you are testing yourself.

There was a time where I just stopped and thought, how did I get here, I can't move, I need to get down from here....I could die right now". It was pretty scary since it is a climb that is using purely your own skill - relying completely on your own self preservation. It gave me a new perspective on life.

My brother was up the top, out of view, and he told me of a "oh no" moment, where he was coming down and the rock he was relying on began to give way and he dropped only a few inches, but it was freefall of the unknown. He said it was the first time he felt like it could be it.

We are sore now from our muscles and bruises we didn't remember making. We are alive and feel a bit more aware of our existence.

I think I might attempt it again when I am more fit though....

I had thought of doing it one day... By the sounds of it i might start off practising with Mt Berrburrum... LOL!

Come up and do it Brad, I've done Tibrogagan and Mt. Beerwah a couple of times now. They are both a great climb! I prefer Mt. Beerwah though...the view from up there is incredible!

From my back patio I get to watch the Orange people get lowered from the helicopter to rescue the numbnuts that don't make it all the way up Tibro's Northern face and panic. Makes Sunday arvo's a little more interesting.
It really is an appalling climb , made worse by the appaling maintenance on the tracks.

isn't the tallest Mt in Australia like 2000m. It's a day stroll right?

OK I looked it up after hitting enter, it looks kind of hard.

Last edited:
I've done Tibrogargan quite a few times, the first time I had to climb down halfway because the labrador refused to go another inch ( this was before it was a national park ). Put the dog in the car then climbed back to the top.
I'm assuming you did the backside(sic) as the front requires ropes etc. There are two "scary" parts to that climb up, I can understand turning back, as both times you wonder how you can get down. It is, however, an easy climb down and the view from the top is amazing and it is a really good workout.

And for those who don't know http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Tibrogargan

When I visit family up in Queensland, I climb Mt Ngungun since my relatives live at the base. Their house has a great view of Tibrogargan. I've never climbed it, but admired how it looks like a gorilla at sunrise. Maybe it's just me that thinks it looks like that..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back