If this isn't DIY then i don't know what is

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

her_xr6t

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
So after reading all the posts on here about enclosures and rockwalls i thought why not, ill give it a crack.
its been work in progress for about 6 months that could of taken about 2 :?
any way i started with your simple entertainment unit that i won off ebay for 1c lol, im thinking "score Ange" not really thinking of what's ahead, i decided to build my rockwall inside my enclosure instead of inserting it when it was finished so off to bunnings i went to get my supplys.
as you can see by the pictures i dont really need to tell the whole story and to let every one know i am no way artistic nor am i very crafty but when you put your mind to it you can get great results.
all thats left to do is the runners and glass for the front and some fake plants, i did want to make some doors to match the side door it has but i dont know any chippies to help me lol
:D
DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0221.jpg

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0263.jpg

DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0265.jpg

DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0269.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

DSC03175.jpg

DSC03176.jpg

DSC03177.jpg

DSC03178.jpg

DSC03179.jpg

DSC03420.jpg

DSC03421.jpg

DSC03422.jpg

Last edited:
polystyrene, mortar, expander foam, charcoal ( for the brick effect), liquid nails for attaching the bits, dowel for the bars, bondi crete to seal the mortar pondtight to seal the whole thing and crazy clarks poster paint ( ya cant get more non toxic that poster paint @ 2.99 a bottle haha)

What are you going to house in it?

172787_10150419933305574_593530573_17624008_1616248_o.jpg

165579_10150374842665574_593530573_16931658_4326899_n.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great, nice idea with the prison bars.
Do you have a cage for the heat light?
EDIT: just saw the cage on the floor

And yes, he is insane and demon like but we love him.

Looks great, nice idea with the prison bars.
Do you have a cage for the heat light?

check out the last pictures,.. indeed a light cage as im not partial to fried snake lol, there is actually a night glow light and cage to go in his cool area. also the red light will go to my diamond and Tarzan will get a basking light

Looks good Sam.Ange, I'm building my enclosure at the moment, think I should have built my rock wall inside instead of having to insert it, cause the measurements all looked good in theory, but the cement on one side was a bit thick so I had to cut into it. Hopefully it will all work out in the end. I'll post some pis when I'm done. Anyway great job and love your snake too.

cheers for that i asked some a while ago and didnt get any real details thanks

what i have found through building this thing is,.. you can read and research until ya head hurts and your blind but at the end of the day its a go by brail sort of process, like i just went in with thinking i knew what i was doing but actually i didnt and winged it the whole way. i don't think i did to bad at all and hey if Tarzan likes it then my job is done. I think he will love it, he has been in it to try it on for size and it took me 30 mins to get him out lol,.. he wanted to eat me my hubby the cats and even wanted a go at our 50kg mastiff lol.

looks good, i like the drain at the bottom, reminds me of lord of the rings...I reckon getting the colours real is the hardest bit of all.

Hi yea thanks,..we have a computer fan to put there to circle the air so it doesn't get well stagnant if ya like,.. as we all know snakes can be a little poon-tang from time to time. so there will be one fan blowing air in and another up the top sucking it out... and well computer fans are quiet (non vibrating) and they don't produce a huge breeze,. bearly feelable so to speak. the colours well thats about 7 coats of paint on them there walls and what not, that was the most hardest i still think it could of been brighter but the lights will do a good job of reflecting.
;-)

If you are going to use any substrate, to go with the theme, I thought you could use grey pebbles.
(but only if you want to)it was just an idea

WOW Sam.Ange, that's impressive work! It is amazing what we can accomplish when we just "potter"! That would certainly make an impressive talking point/piece of furniture in anyone's standards, well done! :)

Oh, and if your snake doesn't like it... when can I move in?! :lol:

Best,
Carolyn

That looks fantastic, bet you will have one happy jungle, you have a very creative mind.

really nice, tho it be alittle worried about your snake squeezing throungh the vent in the centre section and escaping. maybe its not as big as it looks. cheers

You made the comment in tour original post " I'm not very crafty or arty" , well the proof is out there now for all to see that you were WRONG. LOL you've done a fantastic job and proved yet again that we don't know what we can do until we try. I wish more people would just try something as simple as a hide, just to prove to themselves that they can do it. As you've found out, it can be time consuming so I suggest to all those that have hatches, start on their adult cage now. They grow like weeds and you don't want to rush something like this.

Fantastic job and I bet you've inspired others to give it a go :)

Honestly i think maybe...just maybe i should go for it.your enclosuren is too cool.i love it,inspiring to say the least.and thankyou for your step by step photos.......pics are worth 1000 words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back