Zoology: career counselling needed, please.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renenet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I hope everyone is having a good Easter/Anzac break. Mine has been filled with internet searches, excitement and the beginnings of big plans.

In addition to considering a big move, I'm thinking about taking up further studies. Zoology is the front-running candidate. I think it would suit me because every time I go travelling I get so thrilled about the animals I see that I come up with lists of PhD research topics.

Although I have a strong interest in science, I have very little formal science background - hell, I did as little maths and science as possible in year 11 and 12. (It's a long story.) What I have is an undergraduate degree (pretty good marks) and a graduate certificate in editing and publishing (HD average).

Having set that out, I'm wondering: (1) What's the best way I can get into a zoology course? Do I have to start again in undergraduate purgatory or is there some graduate science program I can do? (2) What science/zoology courses are considered to be the best in Victoria and QLD?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, especially in the holidays. I'd appreciate any advice; in the meantime I'll continue to research.

Regards,
Renenet

Hi :) I graduated from a BSc majoring in zoology and ecology last year from the university of Queensland, and am now doing honours. If choosing a Uni from qld, I recommend UQ for any science degree. We are taught by world renowned zoologists :) unfortunately I think you would have to do undergrad first just cause of your limited science background, but you might get some course credit. Let me know how you go, I might be seeing you around! :-D

I second Lace90 :) I'm currently in my last year of a BSc majoring in Zoology at UQ. If you're thinking about it, it's something you should do. Good luck with it

JCU (James Cook Uni) in Cairns has some pretty good subjects to do in their zoology .... That's where I'm heading next year :D

Lace, what are you doing your honours on?

yeah im at uq aswell doing environmental science majoring in ecology. It is a great uni and you will have to do an undergrad course... maybe even some bridging courses because i know for mine i needed chem, bio and maths b. not 100% though

Hey jordo, I'm doing honours in taxonomic entomology - describing new species of a scale insect genus :)

im thinking of doing it over the summer semster. Have you heard of anyone doing it and keeping a live collection? im really interested in insects i just dont have the heart to kill any...

Why do you say that geck?
And jazz unfortunately you got marked on your mounting technique of the insects which would be difficult if they were alive.

dammit =/ i wouldnt have minded a few extra 'pets'... no way im killing them though

Wow, I go to sleep, come back in the morning and find all these great posts full of info and encouragement. Thanks.

Lace or Rahni, what campus of UQ is the zoology course on?

Geck, I'm not sure what area of zoology I'm most interested in yet. I guess you figure that out as you do the course? Anyway, I'll check out the course programs with UQ and JCU, and see which one appeals most.

I'll have to start making inquiries with universities about what I have to do. It did occur to me that I might have to do a couple of bridging courses. I might be able to knock some of those over down here while I make final plans. After all, if I have to do an undergraduate course I might as well get started as soon as I can!

If anyone has some more uni suggestions or inside info, please let me know!

zoology is at st lucia and other animal science like vet and agro is at gatton =]

Renenet, I'm so excited for you!
And jazz, yeah it is a shame, I hated killing them. You would have a lot of new pets though, as there are atleast fifty insects you have to collect! Lol

What makes me say that is not so much my opinion as hearsay from my dad. (Who is a prof at Uni Newcastle.) And that hearsay towards JCU being better is more based on honours after doing Bach Science. JCU's location has proven to make for many interesting honours projects on frogs and reptiles in the tropics that have occured over the last while. I do not say it is definitely better, just saying that the impression I have been given of JCU is better than that of UQ.
When you say UQ has world renowned zoologists, please continue and name. If you are looking for the uni with the top zoologists cannot pass Sydney by, Mike Tylor is Australias so called leading frog man, Rick Shine is an amazing herpetologist for snakes. Not to mention the budget Sydney runs on compared to other unis.
In saying that I am highly cynical of the idea of 'highly renowned' as I know many less renowned people who are no less good at zoology and biology and have heard some disenchanting things about some of the more renowned ones.

While it can be something you find out during the course it is helpful to know before hand as knowing for example you want to work with say Turtles, you would probably choose a WA or NT uni and get a piece of all the turtle action in the Kimberly. Not crucial just useful.

I finished my BSc in zoology in 2007 at UNE. Was a fantastic degree and I'd highly recommend it if it is your passion. Just keep in mind that if you are doing it for a career change, there are limited job opportunities when you finish. I have done several other degrees since and am now teaching high school science instead. Captive Vertebrate Management at CSU (post grad) is another great course but is more practical rather than scientific.

While it can be something you find out during the course it is helpful to know before hand as knowing for example you want to work with say Turtles, you would probably choose a WA or NT uni and get a piece of all the turtle action in the Kimberly.

I'm interested in everything! It'll be hard for me to choose. It goes without saying that I love reptiles, in which case I think either UQ or JCU would be fine. Birds are great as well.

I hear what you say about Sydney Uni being great for herps - but could not stomach the thought of returning to Sydney after fleeing the city almost a decade ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back