Herping around Sydney

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jase75

Reaction score
Had a free weekend so headed to Sydney to check out some of the National Parks, it was a nice day and still quite warm at night. I walked a few firetrails during the day and then just drove some roads at night.
Death Adder.JPGDeath Adder (3).JPGDeath Adder (6).JPGDeath Adder (7).JPGDeath Adder (17).JPGDeath Adder (18).JPG
My first Death Adder, something i have wanted to see in the wild for a long time, this 1 was just coming onto the road just after dark. Also seen a Burtons Legless Lizard but didnt get any pics.
Heath Monitor (5).JPGHeath Monitor.JPGHeath Monitor (9).JPGLace Monitor (33).JPGLace Monitor (34).JPGLace Monitor (35).JPG
Were heaps Of Lacies and Heath Monitors around during the day.

Last edited:
That's the longest adder I've ever seen!
Also love the lacies and heath

yea you got to go to the right spots in sydney for adders usually on the fringes or outside the sydney basin.
what part of sydney did you go?

I don't want any particular spots but is anywhere in near blue mountains any good. I would think this time of year it might be a bit cold but just wondering

One of my mates does mountain biking and he comes across browns sometimes. I haven't been yet but might go looking when it warms up again.

i usually find lizards such as jackys moutain dragons and lace monitors and i come across red bellys and ive only seen one broad headed snake i thought that was good but thats about all ive seen up in the moutains

Try heading up the Putty rd, bout 10 mins past the old halfway house servo there is a turn off to the left as you head north, you can follow this rd upto apple tree flat near Denman or there is a track that will bring you down near the township of Bulga. Might be a bit late this time of year but in the summer you will see more reptiles on this track than you could poke a stick at. Its called the Commission track and i wouldnt recommend taking a 2wd up there coz its a long walk back.HAHAHAHA

I'll go with you!

Nice finds Jase. Thanks for sharing

Yer we should go one time. I am having to work most weekends but we should. Are there any good spots around Windsor or Richmond I would think Richmond would be alright. Cheers daniel

Yer we should go one time. I am having to work most weekends but we should. Are there any good spots around Windsor or Richmond I would think Richmond would be alright. Cheers daniel

i would be keen as well. I guess the bush park area around windsor downs, llandilo or near the dropzone would be ok areas to start

Haha thanks Bigfella. Reckon my mighty Vitara would make it?
Dan I think up the mountains is really the best bet. I've heard of the odd find around some local bush but it seems there would be much more variety up the mountains a little in summer

Yer my subaru is all wheel drive but tends to shy away from anything more than a dirt road lol the traction control doesn't seem to like dirt or wet roads for that matter

I was think around springwood road you would probably find some good stuff

Mate the Vitara will do fine, trust me tiger snakes by the truck load and the biggest Lacies you will ever see and a whole lot more. Ive got maps of the whole area with a few more trails you try aswell. There is a track, though ive never been on it that will take you through the bush from the putty rd through to Wollombi.

Wish I had known that about 3 months back. I was staying a pokolbin for a mates bucks party I was up there for a week and drove back through wollombi.

You can also drive in the bush from the north side of the halfway servo to almost the sand mine at Colo with only a small surfaced detour around the gorge, this was the stretch i got shot at in but dont let that put you off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back