Newbies-Idiots? hot topic

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Retta4jungles

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I realise that as newbies some of the questions that we ask are frustrating and seem stupid to some people, for the last few months i have watched people attacked and ridiculed for questions and comments. Stating why didnt you read up and study before you got this snake etc. As experienced handlers you should know better than us newbies that experience is the key, you can read all you want does not make you a good pet owner. One animal is not the same as another. This forum im guessing was designed to help both new and old. I have read and studied and i guarantee you i could read for the rest of my life and still have more to learn. I yes still ask stupid questions. We all started somewher even you experienced people. Not all of us newbies are rednecks that got them to impress our mates. Not all of us have the advantage of having a breeder right next door for help. When your starting out and you actually care your gunna ask silly questions because you simply want the best for your new mates. As newbies we look up to the experienced ones for advice and encouragement, not criticism and ridicule.. Yes there are some silly questions, i have asked most of them lol But with the best of intentions, we all complain about everyones ignorance to snakes, what about the ignorance we are giving to those trying to learn about them. I would be horified to know that someones animal was stressed, hurt or even died because a newbie thought it was a stupid question and didnt want to ask. If you love snakes like you say you do would you not want to share your knowlege? If not why are you on here commenting.They are asking for your help, your advice not your criticism.

We are not rednecks, we are beginners who want to share the same passion as you, we are entitled just as you are, please guys think bak to when you started and how you were. If you simply cant stand our stupid questions dont read them leave them for someone who who wishes to share their knowlege, for someone who thinks its awesome that someone cares so much they are willing to risk criticism and asks the question so many want to ask but are scared. Please have a good think about what you are about to write there are feelings and animals at risk. In my experience(though limited) i have found even the most experienced breeders dont know it all... I am well aware that i am about to get bombarded with criticism for writing this, i just thought someone needed to remind some people what this forum was about...sharing a passion.

Last edited:
the frustrating part of answering a question from alot of noobs is that their 5 minute experts that then question the anwser that their given. granted not all noobs are like this, but us so called experts dont know this and alot have been put off from answering questions and having our answers questioned.

Most of the issue comes from a question that is asked every couple of weeks, and the person couldn't be bothered searching for an answer. When I first joined, I spent a bit of time in chat getting help. Most of the people that are in there are more than willing to help.

When I first got into herps I spent 3 months researching before purchase. Whenever I had an issue I'd search the net before posting a question. More often than not the search led me to this site where the question had already been asked.
Questions like help me name my snake, what should I get next etc is all a personal thing that no one can answer but the individual asking the question( and these have been done to death on here)

Agree with the above, i'm new as well but have all the answers i need by doing a simple search here or on google. Most of the common noob questions have answered a 1000 times before. There is also a FAQ and various noob related stickies with most of the answers in these threads.

I researched for about a year before I got a snake, I bought a couple of really good books eg keeping and breeding australian pythons. I bought everything I needed and set up the enclosure to make sure all the temps were ok.

What happens all to often is people don't research or spend the money to get the set up that is needed.
If someone asks a question on here 90% of the time you can tell if they have researched before asking or not. It's when they haven't researched or spent the money that it becomes frustrating. What happens is they will say "my snake won't eat" So you ask them about there set up what temp hot end/cold end, what hides. They can't tell you because they haven't spent the money on a thermometer.

Another thing with APS comments can be interpreted differently as it is open to interpretation as to the comment, such as "Have you researched" is it a simple question or having a dig at someone for not researching.

Last edited:
Unfortunately it's always going to happen. Research as been said is the key. They should take a day or two to read the FAQ section etc first before starting threads which may have obvious answers to the rest.

As dangles said, I researched and asked questions from other keepers before making my purchase for my first snake. Unfortunately some people do it as a popularity thing or something they just wake up and decide to do before researching first and realising to does take some money to get a set up complete or they don't simply think about the long term of owning a snake and realise as the snake gets bigger..so does it's living and food requirements of said snake.

It seems to easy for them to start a thread and wait for answers rather than research, now this obviously doesn't give another user the right to attack said person, but I can see where it becomes frustrating, but I do aggree with you Retta. If someone simply doesn't like it, much easier to click back button and move on.

I'm by no means a expert and probable never be cause there is always more to learn,i see noobs asking the same questions over and over again without searching first. i read books and stuff on the net before getting any snake or dragon that i now have. i learnt most by doing. i made mistakes and corrected them and learnt from there now i feel confident in what i do but not enough to give out my own opion of advice.

i totally understand the topics stated above, and i really do get what your saying. The thing is until you really get to know this site, your not really sure if the question has been asked. Im not only new to snakes im new to computers as well. The thing is you dont have to answer these questions if they bother you leave them for someone else, its thats simple rather than discouraging people from using this forum. As for the people questioning your answers not everyone has the same opinion and thats all it is, an opinion, i was told by so many people dont believe everything you get told on this forum... so how do you know if you dont question???? Its not all the time that they think they are 5min experts, they are simply questioning the theory, its called learning.

I would JUST like to point out theres a search function at the top left corner write your dribble in there and see what comes up.

One of the other things with most forums, people seem to think low post count/ recent join date makes you inexperienced. I saw this interpretated this way in a recent thread

Retta. i completely agree with you . Im not one of the newbies that researched before i got my snake as i never planned on getting one. it was no impulse buy ...i had him givin to me as he was neglected and the person gave him to me to look after until i found a better home. the first day i got him i went to the reptile store to find out what the hell to do. they told me about this forum. so i came on here... expecting some help instead i was criticised by the question i was asking. in the mean time i fell in love with my baby so i have done the necessary things to keep him. No not all experienced owners are know it all's and treat newbie's like crap. i have met alot of good people on here a couple having years of experience and have helped me and being very generous. But i still ran into the know its alls that talk down to you. i have learnt to ignore them and not even listen to there opinion.
i see it as if im not going to get any respect then im certainly not going to give it back.
my time here over the last couple of weeks have honestly been more positive then negative.
So as a newbie welcome :)

Thank you DM, i understand totally i really do, but one day there is going to be the need for the question and yes sometimes, alot of the times you can find the answer by reading, but do we really want people to be too scared to have a say or ask that silly question. Im new and i take offence to people having shots at people for trying to understand their pets

Do you know what is ironic?

This topic has so been done before!!! Even back when I started...

Personally - what has been said above all seems about right.

I agree Rett, whether said and done before or not, new or old, forum or in person it is nice to retain some manners and kindness when communicating... lazziness is usually the reason for bad manners not only ignorance.

Keeping reptiles was a fairly new hobby
only really growing in the past 30 years or so
It has very rapidly turned into a pretty big industry

There really are no experts out there; just a few people who have more experience
This industry changes every week as new things are discovered in both husbandry and science

My views on reptiles are extremely different to many people on here
That gets me some flak at times but the flak simply doesnt matter
Am I right or are they right?
Who cares so long as the reptiles appear to be happy?
I will probably never know
The ones who will know are the young people just getting into reptiles now as they have the time to learn more
[the more I know about snakes the less I know]

Do your searches when you can
But also ask your questions if you find unsatisfactory answers in your search

A couple of words can trigger a totally different train of thought

What I hate is when noobs ask a question and you help them with it and they aren't satisfied or they get an attitude with you.
What I can't stand is when noobs read something and within finishing it, they think they are experts and start giving advice to everyone else.

What I hate is when noobs ask a question and you help them with it and they aren't satisfied or they get an attitude with you.
What I can't stand is when noobs read something and within finishing it, they think they are experts and start giving advice to everyone else.

I would be annoyed if a newbie gave adittude when all your trying to do is help as well, but according to alot of people on here, reading makes you an expert? This is what im trying to say, not all of us are like this, i dont believe for one second that all the reading in the world will make you a good keeper, thats why its important to ask questions. Most of my questions are about understanding why they do it the way they do, everyone has such different ideas, when i question something im not challenging the knowlege of the person im trying to understand better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back