Newbies-Idiots? hot topic

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is sifting the rubbish out from the gold that is the problem longqi.

This is true, and this is why so many newbies ask over and over, for different opinions, different ways. Books are awesome, but so is experience.....

This is true, and this is why so many newbies ask over and over, for different opinions, different ways. Books are awesome, but so is experience.....

Perhaps APS needs an agony aunt, or a panel of tribal elders if you will, to address newbie concerns.

Perhaps APS needs an agony aunt, or a panel of tribal elders if you will, to address newbie concerns.

ha ha well thats quite funny lol, but really there is no need there are plenty of decent people on this forum that never get sick of helping others with their questions, my whole point to extremely long (sorry bout that lol) letter was that if you dont agree, dont wish to acknowlege, dont want to help, then dont but dont get on and give some poor bugger a hard time for trying to do what they think is the right thing to do, or ask questions there is no need to be horrible just move on.

The authors of most of the respected literature on Australian reptiles have done one thing that the majority of keepers will never do. And that is spend considerable amounts of time studying their subjects in their natural environments.
but we keep our herps out of their natural environment.watchers in the wild influence natural behaviour just by their presence

Everyone should know basic husbandry before obtaining an animal, buy the way i just bought a german shepard. What do i feed him, how often and can he live in my one bedroom apartment.

but we keep our herps out of their natural environment.watchers in the wild influence natural behaviour just by their presence

Heaven forbid we use natural conditions as a guide to the way we keep our reptiles artificially.

Everyone should know basic husbandry before obtaining an animal, buy the way i just bought a german shepard. What do i feed him, how often and can he live in my one bedroom apartment.

lol well im only new but im sure there is a dog lovers forum where you can get all the help needed, without criticism and fear of retribution

Both of the last couple of comments are valuable in their own way

To the last one... hatchlings in the wild have a pretty low survival rate
maybe this was intended by mother nature?
possibly to cull the weakest genetically?
With us force-feeding assist-feeding entice-feeding or what ever you call it are we actually assisting the hatchies to the detriment of the gene pool??
[bit like breeding albinos maybe??]
[SHHHHH You cant say that on here or you will get flamed mercilessly]

However simulating wild [but safer] conditions where we can seems to produce 'happier' reptiles
So taking Wallys point and keeping it in a safe place somewhere in your mind is a very good idea

If someone simply doesn't like it, much easier to click back button and move on.

Agreed. I don't understand why some people who seem to think the question is a waste of time then waste more time typing a rude, unhelpful response. Having said that, very few people, if any, have been rude to me and I find this forum brilliant for helpful advice. I also love reading different opinions; as Longqi says, discussion can trigger all sorts of new thoughts and developments.

In defence of silly questions, all the research in the world is sometimes inadequate. I researched thoroughly before I got Zephyr, anxious to do everything right for my little friend. Then one day she disappeared under her paper substrate - and stayed there for days. I was very worried about her. It turns out she was on shed. (She's on shed right now as a matter of fact - again hiding under paper substrate.)

Although I'd read about shedding in all sorts of sources, I had no idea what was happening - until her eyes became milky - because I'd never personally seen a snake going through it. The people on this forum were able to reassure me that everything was okay. That's how it should work.

A couple of people mentioned that new members should get a fact sheet when they join. Hear hear!

I had been researching for years before i got my first reptile and im still learning more. I think experience really does count and having people around you who do have experience.

I had been researching for years before i got my first reptile and im still learning more. I think experience really does count and having people around you who do have experience.

Why cant we have the best of both worlds, Im with you snake boy, love it!!!

Newbies: Take a deep breath have a good look around the forum, use the search button before asking the question. Chances are it has been asked before numerous times. It clogs up the forum and gives fodder for people who like to ridicule. If the problem is that serious it ain't going to be solved by a bunch of people on the forum specially if its a health issue take it to the vet straight away.

Experienced people: Ignore the the thread if you don't want to answer there's really no need to reply. There be plenty of lesser newbies that will (as it's always the case).

PS. A search will prove that these kinds of threads pop up every 4 months or so.

Cheers and have a nice evening everyone.

Last edited:
I certainly reckon that anyone wanting to keep any reptile or animal should educate themselves to the best of thier ability before actually purchasing thier desired reptile or what ever it is they are wanting, and getting a reptile license should be a little more involved than what it is now, like some sort of questionaire so that they know that people recieving the license have the basic knowlege needed.
But someone that has done a search either on this site or in the appropiate books etc and they aren't happy with the answers they find or need some reassurance, I can't see any problem with someone asking a question, as the only dumb question is the question not asked, especially if some reptile is going to suffer because of it.

A person who has taken the time to research, write and then publish a book will always get my attention before any free internet advice.
Absolutely agree with the above statement. I didn't have internet when I was getting into reptiles, so read a lot of books. 'Care of Australian Reptiles' was the only Aussie guide to go by, and the 'Keeping Bearded dragons/etc' vastly improved my husbandry knowledge too. I think any of the books just mentioned should be in every herper's library to refer too. The 'Keeping and Breeding pythons/lizards' books are fantastic also to further your knowledge. If some of the younger members on here that I wont mention had taken the advice to simply read a book, it would save so many 'PM's' asking basic crap. Funny how in another thread I get told by a young member that 'Keeping and breeding lizards' is better than the outdated guide i recommend, only to have him PM me a very basic question he would have known if he read the damn book!
END RANT

I would JUST like to point out theres a search function at the top left corner write your dribble in there and see what comes up.
I disagree with that, have you ever tried to use the search function on here....it's absolutely useless.....And as far as researching the net goes , not everyone is computer savvy. Sure most of you probably live on your computers and googling is as natural as wiping your bum, but not to everyone. I agree that some people ask stupid things but it's not so much the stupid questions but the wrong attitudes that are the problem. You can tell these people straight away. Anyway if people are bothered by newb questions, move on to the next topic and stop bignoting yourselves by implying "you're soo stupid how can you not know this"....It's one of the biggest problems in society today, intolerance and selfishness.....:(

I certainly reckon that anyone wanting to keep any reptile or animal should educate themselves to the best of thier ability before actually purchasing thier desired reptile or what ever it is they are wanting, and getting a reptile license should be a little more involved than what it is now, like some sort of questionaire so that they know that people recieving the license have the basic knowlege needed.
But someone that has done a search either on this site or in the appropiate books etc and they aren't happy with the answers they find or need some reassurance, I can't see any problem with someone asking a question, as the only dumb question is the question not asked, especially if some reptile is going to suffer because of it.

That is an aweome adittude to have,

I disagree with that, have you ever tried to use the search function on here....it's absolutely useless.....And as far as researching the net goes , not everyone is computer savvy. Sure most of you probably live on your computers and googling is as natural as wiping your bum, but not to everyone. I agree that some people ask stupid things but it's not so much the stupid questions but the wrong attitudes that are the problem. You can tell these people straight away. Anyway if people are bothered by newb questions, move on to the next topic and stop bignoting yourselves by implying "you're soo stupid how can you not know this"....It's one of the biggest problems in society today, intolerance and selfishness.....:(

Thank you Ben

what about making it a bit harder to get your license? I know in Qld it's just fill out a form, pay your money and wait. It might weed out those impulse buyers.

The thing that gets me is when a newbie asks a question an experienced person answers with good advice, 6 other newbs give not so good advice. Who does the OP listen to? Not the experienced person but some other newb. This happens all the time - I saw it again yesterday where Ramsayi gave good advice which was completely ignored lol. And people wonder why experienced people don't often bother replying.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back