Zoology: career counselling needed, please.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear what you say about Sydney Uni being great for herps - but could not stomach the thought of returning to Sydney after fleeing the city almost a decade ago.

I understand what you mean there, I find Sydney a horrible city too.

I finished my BSc in zoology in 2007 at UNE. Was a fantastic degree and I'd highly recommend it if it is your passion. Just keep in mind that if you are doing it for a career change, there are limited job opportunities when you finish. I have done several other degrees since and am now teaching high school science instead.

Thanks Iozza.

Ha ha, trust me to choose something with limited career opportunities. Story of my life. :) But combined with what I already have under my belt, I think I can do something constructive with it.

Those of you who are studying zoology, what do you intend to do with your degree? And for the people who have graduated, are you working in a related field or not? What jobs are you in?

I see that the UNE course can be done by distance education, which would make study a bit easier to combine with work. Then again, I did my graduate certificate by distance education and found it a very lonely way to study. I would really hesitate to do it again. (This is really saying something because I'm not an outgoing person.)

Lots to think about! :?

I did mine by distance so I could still work. There was a very good social life at the res schools lol and I guess there would be more online interaction compared to when I did it (all unis seem to have online stuff for distance these days). Its all down to personal preference though.

Its all down to personal preference though.

And practicality. I've been spending some time this evening looking at the UQ course, going through the subjects and checking out timetables. While it looks fantastic (apart from the inevitable unit on statistics), there are a lot of contact hours even for part-time study and they're scattered all over the week. That'll make it hard to hold down an ordinary job. Yet the UNE course material doesn't thrill me so much. A lot of it looks like it's geared towards agricultural production, which doesn't interest me at all. Please let me know if I'm wrong!

Ah, it's fun being a mature-age student... :rolleyes:

I'll check out JCU now.

I am also seriously considering going to Uni..... i'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

I am also seriously considering going to Uni..... i'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

Going to move to QLD with all those snakes, Jay? :D

Are you thinking of doing Zoology as well? I'll try to keep this thread alive as I progress with my course research.

I would love to go to JCU as i have had friends study there and they loved it. However the thought of moving does not appeal much.

I was studying Natural Resource Management straight out of school, but circumstances were not in my favour, and although i was doing amazingly well i had to quit :(

I am considering zoology, environmental science or veterinary science at the moment. Years of travel and living overseas etc has made me realise i have to pursue my dream and true passion. So it may be time to bite the bullet and go for it?

The first real thing to consider is your probability of employment [if required]
Notice I used probability not possibility
Zoology and environmental science are extremely low volume turn over jobs and unless you have a fairly large amount of cash behind you
it can be difficult to be self employed with your own company as the cost of good lab equipment can be crippling
Most of the people I know are on short term contracts and really sweat each time they come up for renewal
Marine Biology is an absolute joke in this regard with several hundred applicants for any menial position
Veterinary Science has much more possibilities in my opinion
Depending on your choices in Environmental science, positions can be reached through many councils now as they become more and more aware of EISs

Jay,

I'd say go for it if you want it enough, especially if you're not happy with what you're doing now (my problem).

JCU, nevertheless, is definitely a long way to go. I don't mind the move if I decide that's the right uni for me. It's finding a job to support my studies in Cairns or Townsville that worries me the most. Certainly, though, it wouldn't be for everyone. Have you looked at studying here in Melbourne? And as someone mentioned, you might be able to get credit for what you've already done.

I did briefly think about vet science but I'm allergic to cats, which cuts out about 40% of my clientele :D, plus I much prefer native wildlife. There's something about environmental science that doesn't appeal, maybe because I think the jobs it would lead to could be very frustrating at times. I don't know if that's an erroneous impression or not. Zoology looks like it might be the one for me.

Keep me posted.

Marine Biology is an absolute joke in this regard with several hundred applicants for any menial position

Thanks longqi. Those are good points. I am actually interested in Marine Biology but got the feeling that it was very competitive. (Is that why they travel all over the world for work?) Zoology seems a bit more likely to scare up a job, though I am aware it may not. But that's okay because there are a couple of other good reasons (to me) for doing the course.

It sounds like you know some zoologists and environmental scientists personally. Where are they employed and what do they do?

Last edited:
2 are marine biology professors who teach at one of the universities already mentioned
they were both on 'tenure' but now exist on designing new projects and getting government grants for them
two are environmental scientists both are employed by nth qld councils and seem much more relaxed about work
another Es is employed coastal city nsw and quietly content
one zoologist employed in a fairly large zoo also scrounging government funding

And practicality. I've been spending some time this evening looking at the UQ course, going through the subjects and checking out timetables. While it looks fantastic (apart from the inevitable unit on statistics), there are a lot of contact hours even for part-time study and they're scattered all over the week. That'll make it hard to hold down an ordinary job. Yet the UNE course material doesn't thrill me so much. A lot of it looks like it's geared towards agricultural production, which doesn't interest me at all. Please let me know if I'm wrong!

Ah, it's fun being a mature-age student... :rolleyes:

I'll check out JCU now.

Nope not much ag stuff at all that I did. There are lots of ag subjects you can choose if you want. Animal Biosecurity was an interesting one.
You need to do the following units:
ZOOL203 - general intro to vertebrate zoology including evolution etc.
ZOOL210 - invertebrates. we did mostly marine invertebrates as well as a large section on parasites such as plasmodium (malaria).
ZOOL220 - entomology. making insect collections etc
ZOOL326 - animal behaviour. fantastic unit - marmoset colony at une, waterbird behaviour, I did a project on repro behaviour in nephrurus levis.
ZOOL327 - physiology. learning about body plans etc. repro histology etc. lots of dissections.
the other unit they have listed now is ZOOL328 animal plant interactions which I didn't do as I did a double major in marine bio which they don't run anymore.
They also don't have parasitology anymore it seems which was the best unit imo.

Hi Geck, the reason I say that UQ would be the best for a science degree in QLD is because of its reputation - it is only one of two uni's in Aus that are in the top fifty in the world; and, especially when doing a degree that does not have a good graduate employment as mentioned, you are more likely to get the job if your potential employer recognizes the institution from which you graduated.
I say that we have 'world-renowned zoologists' referring to the amount of funding they are granted and the number of times their research has been cited by other zoologists around the world. Many don't even reside in Aus, they will come to do research for six months, and do a few undergrad seminars while they are here. I am not saying that they are better than those at other universities, however - though we recently had four life science openings at st lucia, and there were just under four hundred applications for each of those positions, many of which were from overseas researchers looking to work in sunny QLD (or should I say cloudy QLD?).
Also, I don't think that it is too important to know exactly where you want to head with your zool degree when you begin it - there is nothing different between the universities in regards to their herp/ento/ecol research - especially for an undergrad degree. And as a postgrad, it dosen't matter what are you want to work in - it is an excuse to go on a field trip. I am traveling down to NSW/ACT in the next two weeks to collect my insects; and we have salties on the roof of our zool building if that is what floats your boat :p as long as you find a supervisor that is prepared to let you do your research, then you are set!
And as for work propositions, it again depends on where you want to go with your degree. I think it is important to keep your knowledge broad, and don't disregard something at face level, there are plenty of entry-level opportunities.
As for what I want to do - I love taxonomoy and my bugs (herps will always be a passion separate from work) - and there are heaps of areas I could get into. I love the taxonomy field because I can link it with conservation, as I am passionate about preserving the Australian enviro.
Sorry about the huge ramble. Keep the topic rolling!! :D

2 are marine biology professors who teach at one of the universities already mentioned
they were both on 'tenure' but now exist on designing new projects and getting government grants for them
two are environmental scientists both are employed by nth qld councils and seem much more relaxed about work
another Es is employed coastal city nsw and quietly content
one zoologist employed in a fairly large zoo also scrounging government funding

Thanks. It's something to think about. I can always do environmental science as well if it looks like it will be hard to get a job in zoology! :)

Nope not much ag stuff at all that I did. There are lots of ag subjects you can choose if you want. Animal Biosecurity was an interesting one.
You need to do the following units:

Thanks Lozza, that's helpful.

Also, I don't think that it is too important to know exactly where you want to head with your zool degree when you begin it - there is nothing different between the universities in regards to their herp/ento/ecol research - especially for an undergrad degree.

That post of yours is very informative, Lace. I've got a passion for conservation of the environment as well. Not to mention that the more I read, the more I get the impression that we know so little about the amazing animals we have in Australia. That stuns me and I'd love to add a little extra to our knowledge.

You mentioned that you've got a lot of opportunites with taxonomy and bugs - do you think there are fewer opportunities if I pursued herpetology?

Salties on the roof of the zoology building! Ha, that's fantastic!

****UPDATE****

Okay, I've sent a couple of emails with plenty of questions. I guess the unis will be on holidays right now so I'll try to contain my enthusiasm until I receive the replies. :)

Last edited:
On a note that has nothing actually to do with being at the university itself in doing a little research I have decided the UQ website is absolutely horrible and not very informative, the JCU one was howevor much more forthcoming and useful. Not that this effects how good the university actually is, and not that everyone will find the same.

Hi Geck, the reason I say that UQ would be the best for a science degree in QLD is because of its reputation - it is only one of two uni's in Aus that are in the top fifty in the world

That depends on where you look. http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010

I say that we have 'world-renowned zoologists' referring to the amount of funding they are granted and the number of times their research has been cited by other zoologists around the world. Many don't even reside in Aus, they will come to do research for six months, and do a few undergrad seminars while they are here. I am not saying that they are better than those at other universities, however - though we recently had four life science openings at st lucia, and there were just under four hundred applications for each of those positions, many of which were from overseas researchers looking to work in sunny QLD (or should I say cloudy QLD?).

Ok so research scientists from other parts of the world come to do research (While these people may be world renowned you have only really told me they come from somewhere else in the world). They do a little teaching. But primarily they are doing research. I fail to see how this adds anything better for people studying undergraduate, honours or PhD at the university?

Also, I don't think that it is too important to know exactly where you want to head with your zool degree when you begin it - there is nothing different between the universities in regards to their herp/ento/ecol research - especially for an undergrad degree. And as a postgrad, it dosen't matter what are you want to work in - it is an excuse to go on a field trip. I am traveling down to NSW/ACT in the next two weeks to collect my insects; and we have salties on the roof of our zool building if that is what floats your boat :p as long as you find a supervisor that is prepared to let you do your research, then you are set!

I agree partially, at least in that definitely as and undergrad it matters very litte, and that if you have a willing supervisor you can do the project. But the benifits of having a supervisor well versed in the field you want to study as a postrgraduate are huge in the way they are able to aid and help you along compared to having a supervisor who is simply willing to supervise a project he/she has little idea about.

Please do not feel I am apposed to UQ or even that I think it is the worse university out of it and JCU. I have simply heard many good things about JCU and few about UQ and asking and challenging how you portray UQ is the best way to get information on it. Its the age old thing of to understand something properly, explain it to a six year old. Except I want actual evidence. :p Thanks for the time to in writing such a lengthy reply.

On a note that has nothing actually to do with being at the university itself in doing a little research I have decided the UQ website is absolutely horrible and not very informative.

Agreed. I spent altogether too much time pulling all the information I wanted together. As you say, that isn't an indication of course quality, just better web design and marketing. It doesn't give a great first impression, however. But the course does look fantastic.

Lace and Geck, I am finding your conversation very interesting. I'm keen on the courses at both UQ and JCU. As a mature-age student who wants to work while studying, it will probably come down to which is more practical for me.

I'd love to hear from some JCU students - if there are any out there?

Last edited:
I think you should set your sights higher, move to Sydney and go to USyd :)
Be careful, as mentioned you are looking at a career with VERY limited jobs, very high chance you'll end up with another degree, a big bill and nothing to do with it! Enroll in a straight Science degree, this will give you flexibility and options. If you're passionate about this field maybe consider a double degree i.e. BSc and B.teaching. Go teach what you're passionate about to others.
I started on the zoology path, i even did a years work in Rick shine lab but I never pursued it because of the 'lack of job' reality. However, doing a BSc i had options! I studied several zoology type courses which fed my interest but pursued a career with more job opportunities and a greater interest. I majored in Biochemistry and Microbiology, did honours in Infectious Diseases and now im doing a PhD in medicine while working full time as a hospital scientist... Now i get to play around with and genetically modify some VERY nasty diseases and couldn't be happier!

I guess what im trying to say is leave your options open!

I did mine by distance so I could still work. There was a very good social life at the res schools lol and I guess there would be more online interaction compared to when I did it (all unis seem to have online stuff for distance these days). Its all down to personal preference though.

Where did you do it by Correspondence?

Quite an interesting thread, I'm an Msc student at JCU (I also did my undergradat JCU) I moved here from melbourne on the advice of many zookeepers, and herp people i spoke to when i was 17. It was pretty much explained to me that JCU would be the best place for hands on experience with herps. My current house mate and one of my best mates from Melbourne did the same degree in Melbourne and he got no field experience during his degree. I missed lots of classes so i could do field work, and i loved it! Undergrad involved lots of hands on lots of field time. I wouldn't complain about it at all.
However being interested in herps is gonna get you far in terms of jobs. My interest was only reptiles when i started, I now study frogs, have a job working on dingo ecology, spend lots of time photographing and doing bird surveys. Keep your options open and things will be much more enjoably.

I think you should set your sights higher, move to Sydney and go to USyd :)

USyd has one very, very big problem. It's in Sydney. :D

I guess what im trying to say is leave your options open!

Sensible advice. While I'm not sure I'd enjoy a straight science degree, I will try to keep my options as wide as possible in whatever I end up studying. It probably will be zoology, as I have a habit of following my passion, but I will try to find a happy balance between heart and head.

However being interested in herps is gonna get you far in terms of jobs. My interest was only reptiles when i started, I now study frogs, have a job working on dingo ecology, spend lots of time photographing and doing bird surveys. Keep your options open and things will be much more enjoably.

Thanks for that perspective, gus11. It's always great to hear from people who are doing the actual course you're considering. I love the sound of lots of field work. I don't understand those courses that keep you cooped up inside when practical experience is so important to what you're studying.

Again, keeping options open is good advice. Reptiles are just one of my favourites. I like all kinds of animals so I'm quite happy to study other things too. Nonetheless, I can't help being attracted to JCU because of the herp factor. :)

Are you in Townsville or Cairns? How do you find life up there? It's a big change from Melbourne in every sense! I'd love to ask you some more questions privately, is it okay if I PM you?

I'd like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread so far. It's been very helpful and has clarified a lot of my confusion. Please keep the info coming and I'll keep you posted on my progress.

*******UPDATE*******

I had a quick look at the bridging courses UQ recommended. In addition to Chemistry, I have to take the equivalent of Queensland Maths B. I forgot how much maths does my head in. I confess that I can barely remember my times tables. I think I'll have to revise some pretty simple mathematics before I can tackle that course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back