Getting A Baby Wild Blue Tongue Transfered Onto Licence

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r_boy2251

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys Yesterday i was out the back and the nextdoor neighbours dog was trying to kill a baby blue tongue so i put him in my reptile pit and have been feeding him snails and fruits but i have become attatched to him and i want him on licence how can i do this or do i have to just let him go.
Thanks Jordan

I'm no expert but am sure you will have to let it go. I'd be worried about passing on any bugs to your own herps too.

By you picking it up and placing it in your pit you have commited the act of poaching under the wildlife regulations/act.

The alternative would have been to remove it form the yard with the dog and release it a short distance away.

yes i agree beeman, BUT what if it had minor injuries if the dog got it? could it be kept isolated until they've healed then let go say it had a small scratch? r_boy, unfortunately no matter how attached to it you are it must go.

yes i agree beeman, BUT what if it had minor injuries if the dog got it? could it be kept isolated until they've healed then let go say it had a small scratch? r_boy, unfortunately no matter how attached to it you are it must go.
If its injured you should call ARC (local wildlife rescue service), if its that bad it cant be released then it should be looked at by a vet anyway

Just looking at it and showing an interest is just about illegal when it comes to wild herps, even if all you did was save it from the dog and moved it to safety a few metres away (protecting a protected species), you have broken the law.
If I was a ranger, I would tell you that you should have let the dog kill it.

But since I'm not with the wildlife authorities, have half a brain and can think rationally, I will say you have done a good thing but you will have to let it go.

call WIRES and the will look after it then release it. It probably needs antibiotics anyways.

even if you apply for a license theres no way you could keep him legally
if its healthy by all means release it to nearby bushland, but chances are its better to contact the appropriate authorities

Mate the goal of rescuing wildlife is to eventually allow it to go back to the wild. I mean the whole reason you rescued him in the first place would have been because you care about wildlife, right?

I understand you've become attached, but if the bluey is healthy and releasable then it's not really fair to keep him in captivity. Also if the bluey does not have any injuries that will make his life in the wild difficult then there is zero chance they will agree to you putting him on your licence.
You should definitely contact wildlife carers though because as said before if the dog has grabbed him he will probably need antibiotics.

Is there any way at all where you would be able to legally keep a wild herp you found.AAAAny way at all?

There certainly is, but it's only legal once you have it on licence. Theres a way around everything. But legaly - no. Permits to collect wild specimens are rarely issued for the purpose of keeping, only for scientific study, or for venom supplies, which are sold on eventually, but this is obviously only for elapids.

There certainly is, but it's only legal once you have it on licence. Theres a way around everything. But legaly - no. Permits to collect wild specimens are rarely issued for the purpose of keeping, only for scientific study, or for venom supplies, which are sold on eventually, but this is obviously only for elapids.

So if someone happens to come accross an extremely different specimen of python, they cant grab it for any reason at all?

so basically we should let sick/neglected/injured/dirty reptiles to go about their business even if our intervention would help them immensly? I am also talking about finding reptiles and buying reptiles that are in these conditions.

So if someone happens to come accross an extremely different specimen of python, they cant grab it for any reason at all?

by law just because it looks fancy doesn't make it different. I am sure that when they were trying to figure out the wording for the laws they didn't add the exception of "Unless it has pink polka dots and plays the guitar"

there are two ways around this problem, 1 - you can become Aboriginal... if that isn't a suitable/possible option, ... you could always associate yourself with a reptile park and then use their rare and captured species for breeding projects…. Just saying is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back