Puppy Farms

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

motman440

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone thinks about these so called puppy farms.
Opinions would be delightful.
I'm all for them, but not in there current state. Standards need to be made like in piggeries, feed lots etc. If standards are met by these farmers, I don't see the problem. We intensively produce our food, why not our companions. With education and learnt expertise from producers, this model of producing puppies may provide more beneficial outcomes as far and health and ethics than that of the private breeder.

Feel free to slander, but please bring some proper form of argument to the table.
Much Love
Thom :)

Because theres already too many ! Are we then going to only sell desexed puppys ??? We already have thousands of puppys needing homes ! I think people should need a license to breed dogs ,cats etc and to have children too !

Imo, my real concern aside from the atrocious conditions alot of them (not all) are kept in is....
The amount of homeless animals that are sent in/surrended/impounded by RSPCA or local pounds?
to me, if these are high now, surely it will escalate further if the market is increased?
There are already a lot of pet shops etc that do not know too much about their stock(point being, puppy
mills usually supply them the stock)
I used to breed Bull Mastiffs (registered) and do agree there needs to be a shake up with that industry too
I am really not confident it could be regulated and monitered enough to ensure that it would be in the best
interests of the puppies/kittens(animals)
respectfully
Crystal

They are disgusting and they are made for one reason and it is for profit nothing else they spend as little money on the parent as they can and breed them as much as possible and the bad thing is that not many people know most pet stores buy their puppies from puppie mills so i think they should be shut down or get the mills tidied up and the owners go through a proper training procedure to breed dogs

I think all cats and dogs sold should be desexed, Unless to a licensed breeder. Licensing would act as a deterent of those in it for the quick buck, pet shops could only buy off those who are licensed as they would be the only ones with intact animals. Private buyers could still do the shonky though...... hmmmm. let me get back to you on that one :)

Where would be a good place to get a dog from. Would people suggest a registered breeder? I would love to know. I would hate to have my money go towards funding this horrible farms. I would consider a rspca animal I think it would be great to bring one home.

I think it's a great idea!! Much better than feeding numerous small rats to a large Scrubby or Olive, puppies and kittens in the freezers next to the rats at pet shops would be sweet!

Stupid idea. Puppy farming is done solely for profit, with bitches kept in tiny cages and bred litter after litter after litter until they're too old or worn out and "disposed of". Absolutely disgusting that someone could actually be for such a horrid practice =( Furthermore, none of the animals are vet checked, health tested or cared for in general. Why should we "mass produce" our companions when thousands are already being put down in pounds and shelters because people like you support terrible industries such as puppy farming. It needs to be abolished off the face of the earth.

Grogshla, if you're not looking for something specific, then I suggest having a look at shelters or pounds and give a puppy a chance at a new life =) If you are looking for something specific (ie, yard size, activity level, shedding, size, trainability, etc), then I'm sure a dog forum will be able to help you there =)

Hell no. They are cruel. And nothing will stop them treating the animals badly, they'll cut costs anyway they can, clean, non-cruel puppy farms will never happen.

alot of people have already stated why puppy farms shouldnt be allowed but another reason is also these puppy farms dont health test their stock at all and therefor are breeding dogs that in the long run are going to suffer from health problems that will cost their owners alot of money. I am a breeder of german shepherds, all my stock are show dogs meaning they are shown under a breed standard set by their mother land germany. We have top german judges come to Australia to give their opinion on our dogs, we spend alot of money on our dogs, they mean the world to us just like having kids. We only breed from the best dogs, all are hip and elbow tested (and guaranteed) and breed classified under the german shepherd dog club of Australia meaning they have to be of a certain quality. We strive to breed the best, and only the best.....there is a big difference between us, other show dog people and puppy farms, we do it for the love of our breed, bettering our breed with every litter we produce ..... puppy farms only care about the money and spend nothing on their dogs. If you prefer a purebred puppy over a dog from a shelter ONLY BUYER FROM A REGISTERED BREEDER, who health test all their stock and treat their dogs as part of the family!

ETA alot of registered breeders require their puppies to be desexed by their owners by the age of 12 months and provide ongoing support whenever you need. All my pet puppies must be desexed by that age and once I see a certificate of desexing from their vet they get a refund of $250. Most kittens also that come from registered breeders are usually already desexed, unfortunately the earliest puppies can be desexed is 6 months.

Last edited:
heidii, you and people like you are the only people who should ever be breeding dogs. It's nice to see someone actually in it for the breed. =)

Do we all feel a pig is a less intelligent animal than a dog? Is this why we have a more sympathetic approach to our canine friends? The descriptions in posts above all seem to state this.

If these farms were overhauled by a government agency, such is intensive beef and pork farming, there is a possibility that the health and welfare of these animals may rest above an approved threshold that the majority of our members seem to be demonstrating.

Would you agree or disagree?

I seriously question the sense of ANYONE who is in agreeance with puppy farms, be they clean or filthy and the dogs kept in atrocious ways.
Why the heck would we want hundreds of puppies churned out, it would be JUST like battery hens, and situations such as we have in piggeries now. These are the sorts of animal cruelty we are trying to get away from due to a huge demand for eggs, chickens, bacon, and pork.
Where is your compassion for these animals? It's the very WORST thing that could happen, we would be over-run with dogs, many of which would be discarded when the 'cuteness' had worn off, just like we have now, only in larger numbers, how over-run are animal shelters now, trying desperately to find homes for unwanted dogs, and having the heartbreaking job of putting many of them down!
No no NO! I would never condone these things. Keep dog breeding exclusive to the REGISTERED BREED breeders who are approved by RSPCA's and Canine associations, or whatever. And unless a dog is to be sold to another registered breeder, it should be spayed before the new owner takes posession of it.

I'm with you Heidii

Standards need to be made like in piggeries, feed lots etc. If standards are met by these farmers, I don't see the problem. We intensively produce our food, why not our companions.

There's nothing good about the way animals are treated in factory farming either. Even if there was that much demand for puppies and kittens, I certainly wouldn't want to see the technique replicated anywhere else.

Ethical breeders who put the welfare of the animals first are greatly to be preferred. It's one of the things I look for in snake breeders.

Standards need to be made like in piggeries, feed lots etc. If standards are met by these farmers, I don't see the problem.
What are these standards that are met in piggeries, pigs are kept in atrocious conditions even when the standards are met, one of the reasons I don't eat pig. Any kind of intensive farming is bad whether it is for food or the pet trade. Meeting minimum standards does not make a happy, healthy animal.

I hate the idea of any animal being treated cruely. We have a maltese x shihtzu whome we recently got desexed and today I purchased a lab pup from a breeder. I checked out our local pound and wanted to give them all a home but the criteria that I had sensibly thought over BEFORE getting the dog, none at the pound met, and while I didnt want to spend a fortune on buying a dog in our case going through an actual breeder was our best option. These puppy farm ideas are horrendous and Im sorry but the comment that was made about it being a great idea seeing puppies and kittens in the freezer for feeding snakes I personally feel is an atrocious one. I love my snakes but that is a truly horrible concept. Sorry but that is my personal opinion

we have herd alot of negativity about these and the pet shops for buying them, now i work in a pet shop and we get 90% of our cats and about 50% of our puppies from the local pound and rehome them for only the cost of the vacination and microchipping and also a 50% discount voucher for desexing,

now to puppy farms
I know a puppy farm owner through work (they buy the carry cages to transport the dogs in) and have visited his place and they keep their dogs in pristene conditions, the dogs are kept in pens no less then 3m x 2m and spend most of the day outside in a 20m x 10m fenced yards females and pups in one and males in the other, he also only breeds from each female once a year also they are members of the Australian Association of Pet Dog Breeders, all pups are vacinated, chipped and vet checked before being sold, and any follow up advise the new owners need.(see for yourself go to fluffypuppies.com.au and click on the page about us and look at the pictures)
i also know another but haven't visited them but the wife is a vet nurse at the vets i go to and all their puppies have all the vacinations, chipped and checked before they are sold,
of course they only show the bad examples on the tv not the good ones

now peopole say go to registered breeders but i know of several of different breeds and i visited one once that breeds mini foxies and they kept their dogs in pens that would have been no bigger than 4ft x 3 ft with a single dog in each and they only got let out for about 1/2 hour each day,

out of those examples i gave i know who i would buy from.

Last edited:
considering you're usual livestock is kept in attrocious conditions, i'd say why the need for another market involving supposed animal cruelty?
enough are going through death role as it is, most people simply don't understand that a pet is a full time responsibility, and current trends support that. And don't even get me started on pet shops...

Even IF there are some "farms" (i just don't like how the term is used, its degrading of what is a respectable trade of animal husbandry) that does everything flawlessly, the numbers that are in it for profit and could care less for the animals welfare easily overshadows those that do actually care.

I have a slightly better view of small private breeders, but then again everything has its pros and cons.
as of now, i've yet to deduce any pros for battery farms, puppies or otherwise.

If i want to get a dog, i'd rather adopt one, retired racing greyhounds are high on my list if i ever have the priveledge, they come wormed and vaccinated, papers n all, not to mention giving a living being another chance at life feels good, period.

oh and for farm animals,i'm sure this has been posted be4 somewhere, just thought it would b relevant (warning, some may find this quite graphic)
[video=youtube;LxHl6kZROQw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxHl6kZROQw&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back