Stackable plastic storage drawers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laghairt

Banned
Reaction score
I was in Bunnings on the weekend as saw that they sell stackable plastic storage drawers that seal well around the edges and seem fairly robust. It got me thinking that with a few strategic holes for ventilation, some fly screen and and a heat chord you could make a very cheap rack.

I think this is the website of the supplier (not sure if this is against the rules):

[ no links please ]

These retail for around $25 each, come in a range of colours and are strong enough to stack several high so could be a cheap option if done properly. Does anyone else use these?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's the same thing just a different colour. I'm thinking it would be ideal for geckoes. Does anyone else use them?

You could make the rack any shape you want to fit it into unused space. I'm not really seeing any drawbacks.

Hehehe, I use these things in my pantry! Perfect for deep cupboards and lots of jars etc! :)

I wouldn't risk a heat mat in case it fails but they would be fine with heat chords. I use chords on tubs with thinner plastic than these without any issues.

They come in different sizes and with multiple drawers too. You could have 8 450x170x200 tubs for $100. With single drawers you could have 4 450x350x200 tubs for the same price. Not bad.

It seals well on the outside, but what about in the actual draw? Can the inhabitant get between the draw and the surround? You might just pull out the draw only to find you've just crushed your pet, especially when you can't see into it.
Just looked at the first pic, you can see where the sides and back drop down on the draw, any small snake or lizard could easily be crushed in them.

Good Point. I was thinking of using it for terrestrial geckos so that wouldn't be so much of an issue with the tubs being 20cm tall. I guess that would rule it out for hatcling pythons though.

It seals well on the outside, but what about in the actual draw? Can the inhabitant get between the draw and the surround? You might just pull out the draw only to find you've just crushed your pet, especially when you can't see into it.
Just looked at the first pic, you can see where the sides and back drop down on the draw, any small snake or lizard could easily be crushed in them.

I've been using them for years for climbing geckos. OK for big adults but not smaller ones. Sometimes one gets inbetween the draw and the outside casing but I've never squashed one. I've got heat mats under a third of the floor.
I use a similar system but different brand for knob tails with heat cord.

What brand do you use for knobtails? Where do you buy them?

Hi Spogebob,

Do u totally seal the heat cord with liquid nails along the sides to stop the friction/wear and tear of the heat cord? Does it actually stop this from happening?

Cheers,

Dan

sorry just to clarify so say if i have a 30L tub bought from big W.. i have it all ventilated and set up etc just need to sort out the heating.. if i sit this on a set of draws.. do i put the heat cord between the bottom of the tub and the draws or under the sand on the inside of the tub.. just not too sure.. thank you mate =] no risk of melting at all.. im so nervous as i use a heat mat in a glass tank right now but my little gecko needs a smaller enclosure =]

sorry just to clarify so say if i have a 30L tub bought from big W.. i have it all ventilated and set up etc just need to sort out the heating.. if i sit this on a set of draws.. do i put the heat cord between the bottom of the tub and the draws or under the sand on the inside of the tub.. just not too sure.. thank you mate =] no risk of melting at all.. im so nervous as i use a heat mat in a glass tank right now but my little gecko needs a smaller enclosure =]

Hey Nikola, run the heat cord underneath the tub -- on top of the set of draws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back