Are your reptiles pets?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I consider my reptiles as pets. I can interact with my beardie and watch my geckos till my heart is content.
However i feel that a dog being smarter would be more a "pet" and a mate than just a beardie. lolz. I still love my reptiles though and will get more and more. I live in an apartment so its hard for me to have a dog or a cat. When i get a house i will have a dog for sure though

i like this thread i think all my reptiles are pets and there is no way they could be classed as native fauna IMO, do you see patternless childern pythons out in the bush or an albino carpet python? not very often .
eddie.

I was at the easter show yesterday, volunteering and entering my "pet" in the Wild Expo "Best in Show" comp. It was held in the Companion Animal Pavilion and had a large sign outside saying "companion animal pavilion" with cats, rabbits, mice AND reptiles pictures on it. It wasn't held at the NPWS stand or the DECCW stand or with the pigs, cattle, horses etc. Even the Royal Agricultural Society consider them Pets.

All Reptiles-Mammals-Birds do remain the property of the crown, l know that from what l have been told by wildlife officers employed here in Victoria, within the Department of Sustainability and Environment aswell as other wildlife officers throughout Australia.......

l myself have been keeping and breeding Australians Reptiles on licence since 1983 so l know the rules and regulations listed under the wildlife act since 1975 very well.

absolutely inaccurate information. this forum, like others, should be a medium to disseminate valuable information, not old wives' tales.

All Reptiles-Mammals-Birds do remain the property of the crown, l know that from what l have been told by wildlife officers employed here in Victoria, within the Department of Sustainability and Environment aswell as other wildlife officers throughout Australia.

Tell me one thing if the Reptiles your keeping on licence are your property, why can't you take your pet Pythons with you to say Western Australia, if you decide to relocate to that state for work or any other personal reasons, you instead would have to think very seriously before relocating, whether or not your prepared to depart with what ever Pythons you have on licence.

But you don't have to do that with say a Dog or Cat do you cause not, so for you or anyone to say any Native Reptiles-Mammals-Birds are not the property of the crown, you don't know what your talking about do you cause not. l myself have been keeping and breeding Australians Reptiles on licence since 1983 so l know the rules and regulations listed under the wildlife act since 1975 very well.

absolutely inaccurate information. this forum, like others, should be a medium to disseminate valuable information, not old wives' tales.

Your routinely acquired reptiles are definitely NOT the property of the Crown, they are yours to do with whatever you wish, as long as you act within the constraints of your licence, just as it is with dogs and cats, horse or any other animal. Almost all animals have conditons placed on their keeping, and it has everything to do with public safety and comfort, and the welfare of the animal concerned, and nothing to do with them being 'owned' by the government. They CANNOT be taken from you for any reason other than a breach of your licence conditions, in any state, despite what zealous wildlife officials (or poorly informed members here) may tell you when they are exercising their 'power.'

I have a few snakes, I don't handle them much so I probably get bitten more than most if I'm not paying attention, so I wouldn't call my animals 'pets' in the way my dogs are, but for all intents and purposes they may as well be 'pets' - they are so far removed from being 'fauna' (most are several generations captive bred) that it's absolutely ridiculous to have them classified as 'fauna' and have them licensed as such. With a very few species exceptions, the licensing systems in all states serve no purpose other than collecting revenue and employing staff - and propagating the myth that the various state departments are 'doing something for conservation..."

The exclusion of pythons from import into WA has absolutely nothing to do with them 'belonging to the Crown' (whatever that means...) - it has everything to do with the heavy-handed bureaucracy in that state perpetuating the myth that all snakes from the eastern states are disease ridden risks to the squeaky-clean WA animals. It's a justification that works with many keepers over there, and far easier for DEC to argue than the simple fact that they want keepers in that state to limit their expectations. There are constraints on moving all sorts of animals between states at different times - just talk to your local Ag Departments. It has nothing to do with Crown ownership, it has to do with the many and varied management issues, disease and pest control, nothing more or less.

Jamie

I have to agree with pythoninfinte and silverback here.. and I also consider my reptiles my pets.

Mine are not for conservation...
Their not part of scientific study (apart from me learning about them)...
I keep them simply cause I'm interested...
They certainly are not property of the crown as I PAID FOR THEM and not the queen...
Therefore mine are pets... I would'nt pet my hungry JCP though the beardie and the shingleback no probs....

When my son was 6 yrs.old he entered his blue tongue in the pet parade at school and won 'Champion Pet"....LOL

Yes, all mine are pets ...................... wellllll ............ if I relied on them to make a living from them breeding, I'd be barking up entirely the wrong tree and would be a permanent pauper. I'm considering buying my pythons a heap of snake type playboy pics and worse, if you get my drift, to pin up around them in their enclosure MIGHT just give them a couple of ideas!!

So (sigh) yes, they're pets!! lol

They're pets. If its an animal you're keeping for personal pleasure then what else can it be?

Mine are pets,thru and thru.they nap with me on the bed,come in the car for rides on nice days when the car is warm n toasty inside,all have names,birthdays and special treats for them,im accused of 'molly coddling' them too much.i like to keep them mentally stimulated,they all have their own hidey away places,and all get the special cuddles and loves they want.all my spare cash goes on them,new plants,sub-strate,playnslither toys etc.i spend hrs walking and looking for new logs,branches,rocks etc for their enclosures,hubby says i neglect him for my snakes n lizards.so i would say mine are useless pets like my dogs and son.....hahahahahahaahahahaah...and hubby.........hahahahahahahahahah.

Sookie why, oh why, would you include the bit about taking them for drives in your car?????????????????????????????? You know this is illegal and have been told this numerous times in other posts. Got quite upset about it, if I remember correctly. Yet you still make that statement and in an unrelated thread too. It makes no sense.

Even if you don't take your reptiles out to handle them they are still pets - just like pet fish but without the water.

Blue

come in the car for rides on nice days when the car is warm n toasty inside

Oh dear... she's back... stay off the roads everyone...

What a nutter

Jamie

BEcause now winter is upon me, the 4x4 sits in the sun and warms the inside. i don't take them anywhere anymore thanks to the people on this forum,all the lovely people and their lovely opinions,but i park in the backyard and sit in the warm car instead of running a heater inside,surely thats still on my own property,im only reading my latest author new book.of course tho there will be something im doing against "THE LAW".
like i really care!!!!!

Just as long as you're off the public roads, that's all we care about Sookie...

J

Dont mean to start up a debate but I dont see a problem with driving with them, as long as you dont take them into public places.

With them on your lap... loose in the car... read the rest of the thread sl - this is one seriously irresponsible snake keeper... bad for the snake, bad for other road users, bad for the image of the hobby...

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back