Please HELP!! Whats wrong with my snakes tail??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking retained shed but in the op it does state it shed with a healthy full shed 1-2 weeks ago.

Its definately not a retained shed he had a full healthy shed 1-2 weeks ago. There is fluid buildup underneath his skin which is weeping, If you look at the attached pictures you can see the blisters.

Im going to take him to the vet first thing tomorrow.

Really appreciate everyones help and input tho. :)

Last edited:
Not to give another opinion, but it 'looks' similar to scale rot without actually being there to see it, especially if it appears to be blistery with fluid. Check for redness in the affected area too. Too much humidity or unclean cage conditions can cause such diseases.

I had changed to a new substrate for a diamond once, which seemed to hold moisture for a while and the diamond soon got mild scale rot, (near the tail). I bathed it daily in water with a teaspoon of Reptihand antibacterial hand gel. Over a few days to a week, the blistering subsided and no further problems. Food for thought.

Your photos definately appear much more serious than my case, and scale rot itself can become fatal quickly. Finally my opinion......whatever it is, vet recommended when possible.

Last edited:
Please let us know what the problem was with your snake Nazrat, it would be good to know the outcome and that everthing is ok.

Very interested also looks similar to a snake I saw that had a metabolic disorder, kept putting its oil between new layers of skin in different areas over its body

I don't get how people keep saying it's retained shed. You don't have to be an experienced herp person to know if the snake had a complete shed or not. She said it was complete, so why do you guys have to keep questioning it and saying otherwise?

I took Tarzan to the vet on Wednesday.

Vet was unsure to exactly what it was, definately not a sheding problem and not due to humidity or scale rot, quite unusual actually probably a burn of some type not from direct contact with the heat light more like sunburn or something??

Anyways I was instructed to soke him in water (30*c) for a few hours to try and to get him to shed again. He stressed out a bit being in the water even with a stick to climb on so i took him out after about half hour.

When i got home from work last night he was shedding :) he needed some help from me to get the last of his tail off but his scales are brand new and completely undamaged after the shed :) Im so glad!!

He seems happy enough again, im going to get him a new enclosure built so that i can regulate the temperature better for him in future :)

Big thanks to everyones input and interest :)

So definatly not a shedding problem??
If you had left him in the water, you wouldn't have needed to help him shed!
Glad hes ok lol!

Hey Nazrat, which vet did you take him to, just out of curiousity?
Just so I have an idea what vet I should see if I ever have a problem with my snake *touch wood*
I don't know of any vets that go beyond a dog or cat around my area...

I took Tarzan to the vet on Wednesday.

Vet was unsure to exactly what it was, definately not a sheding problem and not due to humidity or scale rot, quite unusual actually probably a burn of some type not from direct contact with the heat light more like sunburn or something??

Anyways I was instructed to soke him in water (30*c) for a few hours to try and to get him to shed again. He stressed out a bit being in the water even with a stick to climb on so i took him out after about half hour.

When i got home from work last night he was shedding :) he needed some help from me to get the last of his tail off but his scales are brand new and completely undamaged after the shed :) Im so glad!!

He seems happy enough again, im going to get him a new enclosure built so that i can regulate the temperature better for him in future :)

Big thanks to everyones input and interest :)

Glad everything worked out ok.It isn't that unusual for a snake to shed more than once in a very short space of time.
Soaking a snake in water will not make it shed unless it is already in the process of doing so or it has a retained shed.The fact that soaking it made it shed confirms that it was a retained shed.Sounds like the vet specializes in dogs and cats.

I don't get how people keep saying it's retained shed. You don't have to be an experienced herp person to know if the snake had a complete shed or not. She said it was complete, so why do you guys have to keep questioning it and saying otherwise?
I replied the way I did because to me it looks to me like a dried old retained shed.The fact that it shed recently means nothing especially when you look at the pic closely and see how dull the animal is looking.Much much too dull for a snake in new skin.

Last edited:
Glad everything worked out ok.It isn't that unusual for a snake to shed more than once in a very short space of time.
Soaking a snake in water will not make it shed unless it is already in the process of doing so or it has a retained shed.The fact that soaking it made it shed confirms that it was a retained shed.Sounds like the vet specializes in dogs and cats.

+1 That is exactly what I was thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back