What's your MD Opinion?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MChaz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have fallen in love with MD's and I just wanted to hear from some of you guys who have experience with them?
Are they great to keep? A pain in the butt? Why would you choose an MD over a different python?
Just general typeof questions I guess! I really hope to get one in the near future and just wanted to hear a bit of first hand experience from those who keep or have kept them and think they're pretty awesome. Oh and this isn't for a first python :)
Cheers

Hey!! I have a 3 and a half month old little female MD and she is great!!! I fell in love with the MD colours and markings n after seeing a friends decided I wanted one for myself!! I did get told they were sooo placid however my little "darling" can be a bitbitey at shedding time and coming up to a feed BUT any other time she is a smoochy little angel!! By far the best decision I made was to get my MD. In fact Im now on the look out for a little boyfriend for her!!!! Hope urs gives u as much love and joy as mine has (E)

My very first python was an MD, i think that they are the most under rated python to keep. not only are they extremely passive, but as they age they get more beautiful with every shed. My MD is also the only one in my collection that has never ever bitten me, even as a hatchie she is simply just an awesome snake. As for choosing them over another snake, well that's depending on what your comparing them too. i personally keep 3 of the most beautiful species including GTP, and DIAMONDS. Now the poor old MD doesn't hold a candle looks wise to my GTP or DIAMONDS, but i still handle her the most and have such a soft spot for her because of her nature. Although my other lot still handle fine, to be honest i still cant read them as well like i can with her. I could give her to a 2 yr old and know that with 99% certainty she wouldn't strike, the others not so much. That's my two cents MD=Awesome :)

MD was my first python too,but they are carpets and all carpets are the same thing really,Morelia spilota no different to owning any other carpet species,the individuals may vary in tempermant and habits but as a species its much of a muchness

MD is the easyly the most underrated snakes in the morelia pool,
greedy feeders who dont bite they love a swim and some sun and love a climb
my girl is mellow as Bob Marley on holidays
i chose my girl for several reasons, they are a fantastic beginner snake easy to keep feeding and can handle the noobs errors
like massive click clacks, erratic feeding and the temps fooled about with every week due to another thing you read
saying yet another different temp to keep it in they have great markings some look like cammo pants others have a wild maroon/red
in the green/brown
also as a weirdo i choose md cause not many people like them and they caught my eye at the right time,
thqanks again pythons1.com.au and kel and julie worley for my stunner MD

Are they great to keep? A pain in the butt? Why would you choose an MD over a different python? Cheers

I bought a Murray as my second snake in late 2009, I'd been reading about them and had heard great things about their temperament, so I decided to get one. My boy was 7 months old when I got him, I'd heard that hatchlings were likely to be snappy, but he wasn't. He was very calm and inquisitive. We'd called Victorian reptiles to see if they had any MDs, I wanted a male that was young, I needed to start off with something that wasn't too big, the other snake I had was a spotted python so I was only used to small snakes. He's 2 years old now.

My MD is my favourite snake, his nature is amazing, and my family and I always make jokes about him not acting like a snake (until there's food). He's happy to be held by other people and isn't afraid of much, fast movements don't scare him, you can wave your hand in front of his face as fast as you like, he comes closer to see what it is and doesn't look the least bit frightened. You can also pat him on the head and under the chin, he doesn't care, and doesn't get cranky while in shed cycle (I still leave him alone though). Very easy to care for, feeds very well, never refused a feed. I don't tend to use a hook when getting him out, I gently touch him to let him know I'm there and pick him up gently, no problems. I think they get passed by because they're not as bright and colourful as other pythons, but people who don't buy them for that reason are missing out on a great snake :D

Tahlia

It sounds like you have my MD there- mine is occasionally a bit skittish when you open up the enclsoure but then settles to be picled up to lift out of the enclosure.

Tahlia

It sounds like you have my MD there- mine is occasionally a bit skittish when you open up the enclsoure but then settles to be picled up to lift out of the enclosure.

Mine sometimes puts on a bluff when I go to get him out. He hasn't bitten many times, and all the times were my fault. It was funny when he bit me because of a feeding response, when I give him food he's very enthusiastic, vicious strike and coil, but he bit me a few months ago because he could smell ferrets on my hand (my fault) He bit, but realised immediately that he didn't have food so he let go. There was no striking or coiling, he hasn't ever coiled me when giving a feeding response bite... maybe he's a wimp :)

I got and love my 10month old md from the worley's , she is so placid and absolutly stunning if you ask me but i could be bias lol :)

I got and love my 10month old md from the worley's , she is so placid and absolutly stunning if you ask me but i could be bias lol :)
kel and julie have amazing animals, especially MD's and kels high yellow diamonds
their MD's have great color and head patterns and a temperament you cant beat,
personally i always advise people who want MD's to go to them not only do they have good animals but they are great people
they give great advice and after sale care and are a pleasure to deal with.
but im bias too lol

Okay, thought I'd add to this MD thread too...

I have a pair - male 3.0kg and 9 years old, female 3.188kg and 7 years old (both weighed today, just for curiosity's sake!) and are pussycats with no legs or fluff! (my male is the one BnEGlidz is referring to here: "Hey!! I have a 3 and a half month old little female MD and she is great!!! I fell in love with the MD colours and markings n after seeing a friends decided I wanted one for myself!!")

They are, by far, the most underrated python, but in my opinion, the best. I 'use' my male for displays/conquering fears etc as he is reliably placid with anyone, even noisy kids! If he doesn't "like" someone, he won't go to them - otherwise, he's such a people person, most walk out with him around their shoulders!

MD's are a Must Have!

Best,
Carolyn
PS Thanks for the kind words Em! :)

I have a MD I got him when he was 8 months when I got him and he is now 2 years old. He is so easy to handle, never bitten, easy to feed and he has a wonderful little personality. He hides away while he is shedding but if I wanted to I could easily handle him and he still feeds. He got stuck in a sub woofer the other day. He sticks his nose in everything. He also got stuck in the washing basket in the little holes and still didnt bite even though he had obvious cuts up his body. Overall a great little snake and would definitely get another. I also have a Cape York (thats what she was sold to us as) although the permits office said she was a Coastal carpet.... either way another great snake and even as a baby still not even snappy. Plus she has beautiful colours and patterns. Another I would recommend.

See,this is why the whole reptile thing can be bad,for your wallet.im on order for an albino next year,meantime im hoping to get a diamond in a month or two and now add to that collection of wishes im gonna have to add an amazing MD,bugger,im gonna need a part time weekend job too.

Hahaha Sookie, the banks going to think your into some crazy ******!

Thanks for all the input guys, they seem like a really wicked python to keep. I'm definitely looking forward to getting one (when I get some cash in the bank). Feel free to keep adding your input, or even pictures of your lovely MDs :)

Cheers

Yea i'm keen on picking up a yearling MD soon.. just still waitin on DECC to renew my license!!!

ohhhhhh pics eh lol ooook then here ya go, this is my year old md Anika
10413322.3f2e4a39.1024.jpg

10262029.e79c9117.1024.jpg

10262041.569d0090.1024.jpg

10413308.85eddd7d.1024.jpg

forgetting the whole "they make a great first snake", i love the colours and patterning. the temperment is awesome, my girl has never tried to strike once! at the end of the day though i think mds are not given as much credit as they deserve!

Yeah oshakoor I think I will get a yearling aswell... I don't have to cash to keep relocating as it grows from a hatchie to a yearling so I'd rather put it straight into an enclosure that it will stay in :)

Oh and NatoRey; Anika looks beautiful :)
I don't really agree with the whole "oh they look too plain" statement that a lot of people make, I think they look wicked!

i agree they look awesome, and how can anyone think their plain? their a cammo snake! who dosnt love cammo shorts lol
the gammon ranges type of md are amazing too their are some pics of gammon ranges MD's at the SXR site but i wont link them
here as im not sure if thats ok to do that or not lol

and MChaz, you cant afford to get a larger sistema tub here and there?? their like 10 bucks lol
get the hatchie you know u wanna :p

I have some pics for you :)

These were taken after he shed recently:

Attachments

• 2yr.jpg
    2yr.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Prince Cute.jpg
    Prince Cute.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 2yr4.jpg
    2yr4.jpg