Are SLR cameras worth the money??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd keep away from a Nikon 3100 (and any other body that doesn't have autofocus motor built into the body itself) as when you go shopping for used or third party lenses you will have to ensure you buy one that has the motor built into the lens to get autofocus. The D90 is a brilliant camera that has it built in (as noted above by kaotikjezta) and also has commander mode function with its inbuilt flash to support wireless flash with the CLS system.

The 3100 is a great entry level camera, but still an entry level camera. A D90 is MUCH better buying as it is much more versatile. You won't be disappointed.

There are some awesome point and shoot cameras out there. I've got a Nikon DSLR and love it, but if I had to lug it around everywhere it might get a bit on the annoying side, especially when traveling.

I'm also a shocker with reading manuals on them and have really learnt with trial and error. I still don't know hat I'm doing :lol:... but it works for me :)

good call but i still think its best for a beginner to have a broad range of focal length to play with.

I use to think this but I noticed many customers with twin kits when they come back into the store they say they hardly used the longer lens in the end. Those cheap little prime lens open up a lot more opportunities to play around with, they're sharper and let more light in. It lets them play around with low light shots, scenes where narrow depth field is useful and can be turned into decent macro lenses with extension tubes.

All you can really do with the telephoto kit lens take a picture of something slightly further away and if any action is involved they struggle to get enough light due to the f5.6 aperture.

that tamron lens is quite good considering the cost. i still use that lens when i shoot weddings!
with the flash have fun experimenting with it, bouncing the light from walls or ceilings as you shoot!

Yeah I LOVE the Tamron, compared to the kit lenses. I'm thinking about buying the 90mm Tamron macro or one of the Nikon prime lens next. I never knew learning and practicing photography is almost as addictive!

After reading the product reviews again this morning (sober this time), I can see how the new Nikons can be a pain with the autofocus. The Older D5000 looks good or the Canon EOS 55D look like the better buy for the money. Im more leaning towards the Nikon D5000, only because it has a swivel on the LCD screan where the Canon 550D seems to be fixed??

After reading the product reviews again this morning (sober this time), I can see how the new Nikons can be a pain with the autofocus. The Older D5000 looks good or the Canon EOS 55D look like the better buy for the money. Im more leaning towards the Nikon D5000, only because it has a swivel on the LCD screan where the Canon 550D seems to be fixed??

Before I bought the D3100, I read a lot of reviews on them and apparently they improved from the D3000 and D5000 and made a better and more compact D3100.

Yeah, thats why i was originally leaning towards the D3100 but not having built in autofocus reduces the range of lenses you can buy and one would assume the lenses with the autofocus built in would be more expensive??

Yeah, thats why i was originally leaning towards the D3100 but not having built in autofocus reduces the range of lenses you can buy and one would assume the lenses with the autofocus built in would be more expensive??

It's not so much of a hassle really. Well for me it doesn't really matter. Most of the lenses nowadays got the autofocus in it anyway.

The 550D has a fixed screen. The only thing is the flip out screen isn't all that useful on the d5000 as it has no way to autofocus properly when using the LCD screen.

If you're planning with take photos with a swivel LCD screen the a33/a55 are the only ones that do it with proper autofocus in live view mode. The others have the same issue with video mode, you can't walk around using them like a normal video camera as they have no hope of focusing. It just depends how you want to use the camera as to which one suits you. DSLRs are a pretty mature product these days so even the cheapest low end ones have better image sensors than professional models did 4-5 years ago.

If you're ok with always using the optical viewfinder the 550D is pretty good value at the moment.

I have the NikonD3100 with the 2 lense kits with a 18-55mm and a 55-255mm lense, and i think it is just awesome as a entry level DSLR but then again go with what you feel like getting, i just got this one because it was within my price range at the time and it has pretty good reviews.

Another thing to think about is size and weight. I have a Canon 40d and going from a point and shoot to this is like chalk and cheese. The 40d has a metal frame and is therefore heavier than the 550d with its plastic frame. The size difference is another thing, a point and shoot goes in your pocket or on your belt whereas a DSLR is on your shoulder, around your neck or in its own backpack. Best thing to do is go down to your camera shop and pick up the whole range and handle them.
Canon and Nikon are like Ford and Holden, same package, just different gizmos. Don't get too caught up in the gizmos like swivel screen etc. I had a choice between the Canon 40d and the 5d and after researching the differences found that the 40ds superior frame rate and the fact the 5d was more designed for portraits whereas the 40d was more for action/sports. So you will need to look at what you will be photographing and choose the best for you.

Another thing to think about is size and weight. I have a Canon 40d and going from a point and shoot to this is like chalk and cheese. The 40d has a metal frame and is therefore heavier than the 550d with its plastic frame. The size difference is another thing, a point and shoot goes in your pocket or on your belt whereas a DSLR is on your shoulder, around your neck or in its own backpack. Best thing to do is go down to your camera shop and pick up the whole range and handle them.
Canon and Nikon are like Ford and Holden, same package, just different gizmos. Don't get too caught up in the gizmos like swivel screen etc. I had a choice between the Canon 40d and the 5d and after researching the differences found that the 40ds superior frame rate and the fact the 5d was more designed for portraits whereas the 40d was more for action/sports. So you will need to look at what you will be photographing and choose the best for you.
Size is a factor in a DSLR, with all those knobs and dials etc its hard sometimes to know where to put ya fingers when you have big paws like mine. I got a battery grip for the 400d which makes it a whole 1/3 bigger overall, holds an extra battery and makes it look like a Pro model.

I met up with a friend of mine and he had a 1D and it just feels so much better with the metal frame. It feels right in your hands.

I recently bought a Nikon D7000 . . . . . . still learning how to use it hahaha

I ended up getting the Canon EOS 550D. Already taken a few shots. Can't belive the difference. It's amazing. Spewing most of my animals are in shed ATM. Oh well. Guess I'll have to terrorize the poor cats with it!

You'll rarely only own a DSLR, there are times they are not practical so you will always need a point and shoot. If anyone is looking, at the moment in point and shoots the pick of the bunch for price vs features vs quality vs performance is the Panasonic Lumix FH-25. Shop around you can get it about $265.

Yeah I will still use my point and shoot and the mrs point and shoot.

It never ceases to amaze me how often I get on here and see a thread relevant to things that are going on for me.

Tell me to get my own thread if this is a bit of a hijack.

I am in the market for a camera at the moment. I have a trip to NZ booked in the next couple of weeks and want to get some good pics while I'm there. I've been doing heaps of research trying to work out what I need. Although I would love to get into photography more I wont be doing it before I go to NZ and an extra bag for a DSLR on top of the 4 large suit cases, 2 small suit cases, port-a-cot, pram, back pack and nappy bag would send me over the edge (I'm travelling with my wife and 3 kids aged 1 - 5).

I was very close to purchasing the Sony NEX5 with the twin lens kit as it seemed a happy medium between a "proper" or full size DSLR and something more compact. I'm now off the idea because for travelling, something that can go in my pocket is always going to be with me and therefore more useful.

I was thinking about one of the "tough" camera's (Olympus TG-810 or Panasonic FT3) for a while but keep hearing they don't take that good a picture. I also don't think we have ever dropped a camera and have certainly never used one underwater.

I'm happy to spend a bit more for something a bit better and I have narrowed it down to 4 cameras unless you guys have anything to add.

SONY CYBERSHOT HX7V
PANASONIC LUMIX TZ18 (or 20)
CANON POWERSHOT SX230 HS
FUJIFILM FINEPIX F550EXR

These all have better than average zoom and a couple have bigger than average sensors. The pricing I have found before I haggle is for between $404 and $449. I'm actually happy to pay the money but they'll need to throw in quite a few GB of SD card!

Any and all feed back is welcome people.

Cheers,

Steve

Hell, look how much I wrote! I need a beer I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back