Sydney AAE freight regulations

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Craft boxes are around $10 -Bunnings sells them and so do craft shops.They are wooden and about as study as a plastic tub. Get the bigger ones so they can get the labels attached. They are light too -similar to cigar boxes for those that remember them.

I read somewhere the box had to be made from 1/2 inch plywood. These craft boxes would only be MDF wouldnt they?

I read somewhere the box had to be made from 1/2 inch plywood. These craft boxes would only be MDF wouldnt they?

The regulations on the AAE website give no specifications.....just the need for wood and for plastic.

check out - Choose the right container- Wooden Containers- on the AAE site.

I guess it depends how pedantic the AAE are on the day. I got the wooden box spiel about 6 months ago, AAE Sydney.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up for me Spongebob. Man, Ive got to learn how to set up links!

This isn't to do with wooden boxes but interesting none the less:

Last time I was at the Brisbane office was a Saturday and I was getting a shipment that afternoon. I arrived at the office at 3:30pm to collect my new babies only to find the office shut (prior to this it had been open until 10pm on Saturdays, I was told nothing of the new closing times when I called to confirm my babies had landed)! Luckily there was a lady to let me in; she told me that the office would be closing at 3pm on weekends regardless of when something was coming in or what was being shipped and that all of the animals would go into care until they were collected, upon which the new owners would be charged for the fees to accommodate said pet for the duration!

I was fairly disgusted at this, what happens if you are traveling with your pet (say dog), landed at 3:30pm on a Saturday and couldn't get them on the same day? Then you had the added charge of a petsitter! What happens if the people that look after the animals don't know how to take care of reptiles or have the facilities to do so and the animal(s) died? Would AAE pay compensation? Or even say that they were sorry?

I had the same experience yesterday, only it wasnt AAE but some quarantine officer for the airport that had something to say about the parcel when it arrived at the other end, he even went as far as opening the package to check on the animals. Small very hard plastic lunch box container, cable tied, with vents, inside a carboard box. I try and pack everything as small, leight, and strong as I can to avoid paying heavy freight chargers, this time it didnt work they stung me $74.50 for the small 400gram parcel. AAE did not worry about the packaging on my end, but this quarantine officer did at the other.. They must all be in a plywood box. This was a next flight service, same state.

The person picking up the parcel was told that I was going to be reported to DECCW & someone else I can't remember. Long story short, DECCW have nothing to do with freighting reptiles, its AAE that are to blame for excepting my parcel in the first place. I have since spoken with DECCW and cleared the matter up. In my opinion once they except it, label it and take my money, its all over and they have excepted reponsability.

Abit of excitement for the day, (thats what the airport officer was probably thinking).

Your not alone Colin.

wow what a bad experience..
do "quarantine officers" have authority to open packages? and on what grounds did he open it up?

Last edited:
I've got no idea, on the grounds that it was not packaged correctly & wanted to take photographs of the packaging and animals..It was the first time ever that I have had any problems with freighting. Not to mention that the parcel arrived an hour and a half late, without so much as a phone call. No AAE staff could track the parcel or even find out when the flight was due in. Sounds like a well oiled machine..

If these new rules come into effect 1st May 2011 how can they say its not packaged correctly before the rules officially start and open it?

I thought I would share a positive AAE experience I had today
Sent two consignments through AAE from Sydney today.Both were bagged and goosenecked, placed in a plastic cable tied containers then into 1/2" plywood boxes, approx.250mm x 300mm x 100mm. $55 each . No dramas. I expected to pay more with the extra weight of the ply box but Ive paid more to send plastic boxes in the past. thanks

Thanks dozerman. I will keep those dimensions in mind when packing my baby ...

re Sydney

Ime not surprised colin,i was told a few weeks back at the AAE counter that reptiles will have to be shipped in wooden boxs and that they are going to follow international rules.
They were a bit shirty about it,the manager there is no reptile lover,he said the wood must be on the outside of the package.

These are certianly not new rules & have been around for a long time. It just seems that whenever there is a mishap or perhaps new boss that the rules are revisited & ENFORCED.

I have at times received reptiles & wondered how in the world did they get away sending them in that.

We all have to work together on this one as A.A.E are the only company that will frieght reptiles. If we don't it can be a long way to travel to get the special reptile that you want.

If it works out as an extra cost to the sender THEN pass the cost on & if recipiants don't like it, tell them to come pick it up.

For US that live in Remote areas the frieght is very cheap & on many ocassions have even offered to pay extra to cover the trip to the airport.

If we don't get this right !!!! we might not be able to frieght at all IF UNIONS & the likes get involved.

WE are snakelovers not everyone else is.

Cheers
Ian.

Just confirming that AAE Sydney are enforcing the IATA regulations for shipping reptiles from tomorrow onwards.

This means hatchling snakes (under 60 cm) must be shipped in rigid containers capable of supporting the weight of all the other parcels stacked on top. Plastic is allowable as long as it is sufficiently rigid to meet the packing requirement. The staff wouldn't elaborate (the guy I spoke to was a jerk) on how much weight that equates to, but the trusty old sistema tub wont be accepted any more.

For larger snakes (> 60 cm) plastic tubs are no longer acceptable. Plywood containers are expected to be used.

The full regulations are can be found here -> Live Animals Regulations (LAR)
I asked for a copy of the relevant pages (section 44 - container requirements) but was told to "go and look it up" by the ever so helpful turd behind the AAE counter.

Just to rub salt into the wound the shipping prices are also going up.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will apply to all major AaE ports, some of the smaller ones are yet to catch up! Go to the AaE website for the facts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back