Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one of my males with his head up :).

Also, here are some photo's of a lacie pit, taken at Symbio wildlife park in Stanwell Tops. Awesome pit. I'd love to have it.

absolutely awesome pit at symbio!!! i took my family there a few months ago, saw the lacie pit & while the rest of the family toured the whole park, i sat & watched the lacies..... such a magnificent species.... definitely my favourite

Your lacies seem to be loving it.
They certainly seem to. I don't have any photos online of them hanging out on the different 'rock' shelves during the day, but I have a few on a hard drive somewhere that I'll have to post one day as it shows how they find a comfortable height that suits their temperature needs and hang out there.

In the meantime, some random shots of them hanging out near the top of the 'cliffs', where the basking spots are (my apologies if any of these are repeat postings from earlier in the thread, as I haven't gone back through all of the pages to see which images I've already posted):
My female, NeLiSh, hanging out near the left hand basking area
116918345.jpg

The male, Alex, hanging out at the same spot on another occasion:
128130593.jpg

The pair hanging out under the right hand basking spot during the mating season, when they are inseparable.
128423943.jpg

NeLiSh's favourite comfort position when starting a cycle or when gravid (she's gravid here)
118119443.jpg

One of the strange sleeping positions I sometimes find them in. This is Alex, the boy. 7+kg of lizard hanging from a few claws.
118963085.jpg

After a bit of a wait i finally got these little guys SOOO happy with them cant thank my mate enough... i got the whole set up and 3 ridge tails YAY

Attachments

• Photo on 2011-04-28 at 09.29.jpg
    Photo on 2011-04-28 at 09.29.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 167
  • Photo on 2011-04-28 at 09.29 #3.jpg
    Photo on 2011-04-28 at 09.29 #3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Photo on 2011-04-28 at 09.29 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2011-04-28 at 09.29 #2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 195
That's very cool Cadwallader. They seem fairly placid and happy to sit there in your hand. I got to see my tristis eat for the first time this weekend. It was so awesome to watch

This is Bazza (name from a trapping trip with the previous owner) i like him:D
P.s still dont know how to tell them apart haven't seen them all together so at this point in time they are all bazza...

Attachments

• Bazza.NEF.jpg
    Bazza.NEF.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 186
I recorded my female Ackie eating a roach in slow motion. Her pupils are interesting towards the end, there's a lot of pinning going on. I'm not sure if she's excited about the meal or annoyed it took so long to swallow.
[video=youtube;8XwGRXKsHjc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XwGRXKsHjc[/video]

That contracted pupil look is usually associated with intense concentration - at least it is with my lace monitors. I see that when they are about to bite something or when the male is repeatedly tongue flicking the female's head in the lead-up to mating.

David, the last few shows I've watched that have shown Lacies talk about them being venomous. Now I know that they have venom glands but are they actually able to inject venom into prey?

I just watched a video of a guy who catches a wild Lacie, gets it to bite down on some plastic tube so he could extract venom from it. Just wanted to hear a bit more about this as any/all information I have found indicates that they do have venom glands, but do not inject...

YouTube Link: Lace Monitor Venom

Cheers

Afew Wild Varanid's in S/W QLD

V.Panoptes (Quilpie area)
zzz308.jpg

V.Gouldii Flavirufus (Windorah area)
VGouldii2i527-1.jpg

V.G.Gouldii (Glenmorgan area)
goulds432.jpg

Shane

Nice shots, Shane. Sam, apparently they have a mild venom but can't inject. It seeps into the wounds (their teeth are incredibly sharp). Why an animal with teeth like that which gulps down its prey so quickly needs venom is anyone's guess and I imagine it doesn't play much of a role in subduing prey.

Nice shots, Shane. Sam, apparently they have a mild venom but can't inject. It seeps into the wounds (their teeth are incredibly sharp). Why an animal with teeth like that which gulps down its prey so quickly needs venom is anyone's guess and I imagine it doesn't play much of a role in subduing prey.

Thanks for clearing that up David, very interesting.

And when's your next YouTube video getting uploaded? :) You have a stunning collection mate

my ackie
he's still got a bit of growing to do.

Attachments

• P4293649.jpg
    P4293649.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 112
  • P4293671.jpg
    P4293671.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 113
  • P4293631.jpg
    P4293631.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Having been bitten by accies (only a few times) I can tell you that their bite has quite a sting which is nothing. When a python bites however there is no sting at all.

It is also worth noting that I have never had even the slightest hint of infection from python or monitor bites. The myth that their mouths are laden with bacteria is in my opinion totally incorrect!

Back