Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing a quick scale count and looking carefully at the patterning and taking into account the general habitat I've gotta say........It's a snake!!!!

Plenty of natural intergrades in the Newcastle North area but not as many on the South side
lots in particular around Bobs Farm and through the scrub past Fishermans Bay out to the Headland
Pure diamonds ie very dark with perfect patterns are on the other side of Port Stevens mostly and in the Swan Bay area
Yaccabba had a nice healthy population only a few years ago
Zero yellow in those babies
Simply gorgeous

Plenty of natural intergrades in the Newcastle North area but not as many on the South sidelots in particular around Bobs Farm and through the scrub past Fishermans Bay out to the HeadlandPure diamonds ie very dark with perfect patterns are on the other side of Port Stevens mostly and in the Swan Bay areaYaccabba had a nice healthy population only a few years agoZero yellow in those babiesSimply gorgeous
Those who should know maintain the start of the Coastal Carpet’s distribution is the northern rivers region of NSW. Coff’s is at the southern end of that region. How then can you have intergrades further south when one of the subspecies is not supposed to occur there? I am not familiar with the populations you mentioned but I wonder if they are a natural and localised variant of Diamond colour/pattern. Alternatively, has someone released carpets in these areas, accidentally or deliberately, and this is what you are seeing?

Perplexed,
Blue

Those who should know maintain the start of the Coastal Carpet’s distribution is the northern rivers region of NSW. Coff’s is at the southern end of that region. How then can you have intergrades further south when one of the subspecies is not supposed to occur there? I am not familiar with the populations you mentioned but I wonder if they are a natural and localised variant of Diamond colour/pattern. Alternatively, has someone released carpets in these areas, accidentally or deliberately, and this is what you are seeing?Perplexed,
Blue

You are quite possibly correct with both assumptions although what we call intergrades are usually much larger that the local diamonds and have few diamonds
I have never seen what I would call a typical coastal colour or pattern there
The probability of of coastals having been there is actually a lot higher than you may think
That is mainly because the climate on that peninsula is very very different to anywhere else in that whole region in regards to temperature rainfall wind etc etc and is a lot closer to typical coastal country, similar to Coffs in many ways
While that is true of the peninsula the other side of Port Stevens reverts back to normal weather even though its only a few miles apart

Cant be a Diamond Python, cos they are yellow and Black, and that one is Brown...I reckon its an escaped corn x royal.

IMO its a diamond because I beleive that maybe diamonds from different locals look different to each other, just like other morelia. I`ve seen a wild diamond recently from North Arm Cove area of Port Stephens and it looks very much like what some people would call an intergrade.

Just say its a Morelia Spilota and leave it at that, I beg you.

Not to sound picky, but you did post over a month after this had stopped with "Its a diamond. The babies have that kind of patterning." so I don't know why you would open up this thread/discussion then ask for it to stop..

It's a coastal carpet, no doubt in my mind. I've had coastals for years and I can see the distinctive patterns on the head and along the back that I'm familiar with.

The ones at the southern most of it's range may have a diamond cross somewhere back in their hertitage which can cause slightly differing in coloring with some individuals I have seen in the wild. A 1st generation diamond x coastal will retain a fair amount of marking from both so is easy to identify as a cross.

Here’s a link to show that shows adults and hatchling Diamonds. Initially the young Diamonds have much more of a Carpet colour and pattern about them…

Interesting you say that. The Diamond I got recently, which turned out to be only a few months old, had that colouring and so made me think it was a X. So now I am happier to know it might just be a full diamond.

Yet the hatchy I got from SR a couple of years ago didn't look anything like that, it was full on black with white diamonds from the start.

looks like a young diamond did'nt even need to enlarge pic to see that is a diamond

Not to sound picky, but you did post over a month after this had stopped with "Its a diamond. The babies have that kind of patterning." so I don't know why you would open up this thread/discussion then ask for it to stop..

lol Oops, yep it was an old thread. I was just scanning though stuff and didnt see that it had ended :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back