Gunmen blaze away at snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moosenoose

Legendary
Reaction score
This was brought to my attention by Kpalmer.

Found this news article while reading the first one, bloody disgusting!Gunmen blaze away at snakes | Courier Mail

GRAPHIC footage obtained by The Courier-Mail shows snake hunters killing clusters of reptiles stranded in trees by floodwaters.

And officials have warned that the group may yet face prosecution with a community deeply divided over the "indiscriminate" killings.

The footage shows a boatload of men, armed with a shotgun, stalking snakes on a tiny island refuge on the flooded Brisbane River near Lowood before New Year's Eve.

One gunman can be seen blazing away into a tree with one of two volleys from the shotgun before felling a one-metre long snake.

I'll be filling out one of these forms and sending it in, and would encourage anyone else who finds either killing native wildlife stranded in trees, or rednecks using shotguns in public to despatch these animals, offensive! The Queensland Department of Environment (not failing to mention the RSPCA) has a duty of care to protect native wildlife. It'd be nice if they knew people are watching this sort of thing and wish to have it acted on.

This is the form: http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/register/p02087aa.doc

Published On: -
Source: Courier Mail News

Go to Original Article

I've got a shotgun we can use. Will fill that form in now.

I've sent mine in. Easy enough to fill the form out, then PDF it to your inbox then forward it to: [email protected]

To whom it may concern,

Please see attached Complaint Report Form in regards to breach of Australian Wildlife protection act and/or firearms act.

Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss.

However you will naturally, and understandbly recieve the following message: Thank you for contacting the Department of Environment and Resource Management. Due to the floods and evacuations, this office is closed until further notice.

I've just fired off another letter to the EPA about this to see what had been done regarding my initial complaint dated on 14th Jan 2011 (as I've heard nothing). It just gets to me rope-able that these government bodies do absolutely nothing when it comes to reptiles...but down here (or anywhere for that matter) they go nuts with police, all forms of media, the RSPCA and every other authoritarian figure over a couple of kids stoning a black swan to death (as disgusting as that was too).

I can't bring myself to watch the footage,sorry.will something happen to these hillbillys?if they know who they are surely charges will be laid,like that makes any difference.

After a long wait I received this. I'm wondering however, that if it was a Swan (like what happened here in Victoria with kids stoning a female Black Swan to death) if anything more would have happened if these animals had feathers instead of scales??? Anyway, the response is as follows:

Dear Luke,

Regarding your below enquiry, this matter was investigated by the Queensland Police Stock and Rural Crime Squad. On 21 April 2011, Queensland Police advised that upon conclusion of the investigation the offender has been given a formal adult caution by Queensland Police in respect to the discharge of a firearm in a public place and taking a protected animal.

Your effort to bring this matter to the department’s attention is appreciated.

Regards

michael

Michael Devery
Manager Wildlife Operations
Department of Environment and Resource Management

A formal adult caution about discharging a firearm in a public place,?
That should be immediate loss of license if nothing else. Gutless rubbish. Pretty sure if I went out the back right now, with one of the 3 rifles sitting beside me (going hunting on the long weekend...) and fired off a few shots I wouldn't get off so lightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morons like that should never be allowed to breed, nor hold anything more offensive than a feather pillow.

Who the heck gave them a gun license? They should be certified!!!!!!

So this means that I can come up to QLD with a shotgun, get in a boat, float down the river blowing away any and all animals I see like koalas, echidnas, maybe a platypus or two and due to the pressident set by these guys I can only expect to get a stern talking to by the police............I'm heading up, gun in hand........woohoo pardner, yeehaa.
I'll bet I get the maximum punishment........

sue their asses and make them pay....by volunteering

They are doing alot of illegal things, one there shooting wildlife, two there shooting in a public place and three there shooting from a boat!!!!
And to what end...to protect people i didnt see any people living in those trees....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys

I am in Victoria so not familiar with the QLD departments but I do know that all Govt organisations have a regulatory body they must answer to. I am at work at the moment...sneeking a peek...Ill have a look over the weekend or tonight if Hubby doesnt whisk me off on a date and see what I can find.

There is a right of reply we just need to find it...

Regards

Elizabeth

It will be interesting to see what happens here.

When I wrote the complaint I focused more on the firearm offense than the wildlife offense (even though I'm quite fond of guns). I thought out of anything they'd come down hard on the firearms breach. Sadly it appears they didn't. What the hell is an "adult caution" anyway? As opposed to a 'naughty little kid caution" I gather? :? I can't find the definition of it anywhere?

Obviously just a smack on the wrist and another failed opportunistic moment to send a message regarding protected Aussie wildlife.....

This is something i really hate about our country. :(

its the whole mentaility behind killing the snakes,just because some of them are venomous
if you think snakes are pests and vermin,you should go live in new zealand if its that bad

"The locals watching were saying it was a good opportunity to get rid of the snakes. They see them as pests, vermin and a threat to humans."

No, they are indeed the pests/vermin that are a threat to wildlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back