smoke inhalation in corn snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mellymoo

Reaction score
hey guys need some advice...
yesterday my heat mat malfunctioned causing a fire in my vivarium, which made so my corn was exposed to smoke, what do i do? will he be okj?
Thanks

hey guys need some advice...
yesterday my heat mat malfunctioned causing a fire in my vivarium, which made so my corn was exposed to smoke, what do i do? will he be okj?
Thanks

Hmm, a corn snake??? Really???

User could be american mate..

Are you in Australia? If Not?
Surely your joking aren't ya mate...??

Ive had thermostat cabling burn out before and fill an enclosure with smoke luckly i got the snake out before it was really exposed..
But if it did enhale then im not sure what you could really do to help it...might just be a waiting game, Make sure it has water and hope for the best..

No im in England.. Not joking either..

:oops: really sorry mate, hope you understand where we were coming from?!

Does the animal sound like he/she is having difficulty breathing? Making any "raspy" sounds on exhalation? How long was he/she in that environment (smoke) for? If it was only a short time, and not too close to the source, he/she may just be okay. Give him/her fresh tepid water to drink (so it's not a shock for the system if there is any damage to the lungs) and/or bathe in, and keep an eye on him/her over the next 24 hours.

Keep us posted?

Good luck!

Best,
Carolyn

Um, take it to a vet.

Kinda annoys me that someone has come here asking for help in regards to their animal, and just because it may not be allowed to be kept, no one is interested in saying anything other than the obvious that it's not allowed in Aus. Who cares? The snake is already here, why not help it?

The vet I go to will see exotics. I asked her if she reports them, and she said in most cases no, her main priority is the welfare of the animal.

Yeah man take it to the vet and i agree who cares where or what animals they are talking about legal or illegal aslong as the animal gets help who cares,

we cannot publicly condone any exotics on this forum,its part of the forum rules,but this one is legal as it is in England so its all good :)

Kinda annoys me that someone has come here asking for help in regards to their animal, and just because it may not be allowed to be kept, no one is interested in saying anything other than the obvious that it's not allowed in Aus. Who cares? The snake is already here, why not help it?

The vet I go to will see exotics. I asked her if she reports them, and she said in most cases no, her main priority is the welfare of the animal.

Trent you seriously need to read threads before commenting. The owner is in England not here as you have assumed,...Imo if it's here it deserves the zero help. Not every living creature deserves care...if you are for saving animals no matter what,.. would you take an injured cane toad to the vet if you saw one? Come on.

Mate this is a ridiculous response... "The snake is already here, why not help it?" read the site rules mate, firstly as we are not allowed to comment/post regarding anything illegal..

Secondly if this actually was someone in Australia with an exotic then why should I care about the welfare of their illegally kept reptile (pet) when they clearly don't care about the welfare of our native fauna by owning an exotic?

Think before you post mate...

we cannot publicly condone any exotics on this forum,its part of the forum rules,but this one is legal as it is in England so its all good :)

Condoning it and condemning it are very different things. Just because you can't be an advocate for it, doesn't mean you have to grab the pitchforks. Is there really a problem reccommending proper treatment? That isn't condoning an exotic, it's just helping to prevent the suffering of an animal.

Trent you seriously need to read threads before commenting. The owner is in England not here as you have assumed,...Imo if it's here it deserves the zero help. Not every living creature deserves care...if you are for saving animals no matter what,.. would you take an injured cane toad to the vet if you saw one? Come on.

I know it's in England. I was typing from the perspective of the people that thought it was already here, and due to that, didn't want to help it.

Is it really fair that an animal suffers just because it's not allowed? It didn't ask to be imported, or bred here. I don't kill cane toads.

Condoning it and condemning it are very different things. Just because you can't be an advocate for it, doesn't mean you have to grab the pitchforks. Is there really a problem reccommending proper treatment? That isn't condoning an exotic, it's just helping to prevent the suffering of an animal.

I know it's in England. I was typing from the perspective of the people that thought it was already here, and due to that, didn't want to help it.

Is it really fair that an animal suffers just because it's not allowed? It didn't ask to be imported, or bred here. I don't kill cane toads.

Re read my post,.....I asked if you came across an injured cane toad would you take it to the vet?

*Probably* not.

1 - They (cane toads) are extremely detrimental to our wildlife, whereas cornsnakes are here and have been breeding for god knows how long, yet nothing *seems* to be suffering due to them being here. Take this point with a grain of salt, because I'm not sure if they have damaged or threatened anything here. Many have talked of wild populations around Sydney without mentioning the detrimental effect they are having.

2 - I'm much more partial to snakes than cane toads...

3 - If I KNEW for a fact that a toad would be cared for by someone, and I stumbled across one that had an injury, I may *consider* giving it to the aforementioned toad vet. Given the fact that I am 99.9% sure no vet would work on a cane toad, I would more than likely kill it to put it out of its misery.

4 - Seriously man, if the snake was here and the owner was responsible, is it really that much of a problem? I'm not advocating exotics, but if they are here and the owner does their very best to keep it contained and would go to lengths to get it the help it needs, is it really right to deny that help? I can understand the side of things talking about if it escapes, yada, yada, yada, but take that variable away and consider the possibility that the snakes owner is *somewhat* responsible. I say somewhat, because I know people will snap back and say "no owner of exotics is responsible".

A lot of people here are internet heroes and seem to suck up to the law, because it's what they believe the other members want to hear. Lots of forums are like this, if something is the general consensus, people will jump on the bandwagon to fit in.

If things are done in a way that they're not detrimental, is it really worth caring about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back