Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so many stunning animals come out of the pilbara area that rock monitors blends in with his surroundings soo well cheer for posting even though you got us all so jealous haha:)

I Just when through all the pictures i took of the animal and yes seems to be a V.Panoptes sorry i made a mistake. BTW it was very young monitor.

Shane

so many stunning animals come out of the pilbara area that rock monitors blends in with his surroundings soo well cheer for posting even though you got us all so jealous haha:)

That was the plan ;)

Here is a photo of the place we went to, they were just sunning themselves on the right side of the waterfall in the morning and I was surprised that I could get closer than a meter away from them without them moving away, its my Favourite Monitor of all times!

Will be good to see what I find when im back up in September.
pilbara2 062.jpg

these have been posted in another thread but what the hell...

Attachments

• DSC_0202.jpg
    DSC_0202.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0206.jpg
    DSC_0206.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 158
Some. Excuse the crap under his tail. He's obviously walked through it.

Attachments

• P5080007.jpg
    P5080007.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 333
  • P5080011.jpg
    P5080011.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 359
  • P5080014.jpg
    P5080014.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 262
  • PB280632.jpg
    PB280632.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 232
  • PB280635.jpg
    PB280635.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 209
  • PB280642.jpg
    PB280642.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Wow serp.... that lizard is possibly the most beautiful thing I have ever seen..... :shock:

Love that fourth pic! What an awesome looking animal.

The enclosure looks really good too. Any pics of that?
Looks like an add on to the house?

Very nice ST. I agree the enclosure looks interesting. More pics please :p.
Is he puffing his throat up because he's cranky or is he just like that?

He was a bit cranky. He puffed his throat because I pulled him from his hide early in the morning, so he was cold and slow. He was hissing a little bit, but I only had him for a minute or two and then put him back, then he immediately started basking and forgot all about it :)

Wow serp.... that lizard is possibly the most beautiful thing I have ever seen..... :shock:

I'll tell him you said that ;)

Very nice, Serp! How old is this fella and is he the father?

He's about 6-7 years old now. But I acquired him when he was about 4.

No, this isn't the father, although he has mated with a female each summer since I've had him, producing eggs, except the female has never laid in the nest box. Damn it!

...except the female has never laid in the nest box. Damn it!
Excuse my ignorance but why does she have to lay in a nest box? Do you not want to take them out and incubate them yourself? Or are you not able to unless they lay in a specific place first?

Love that fourth pic! What an awesome looking animal.

The enclosure looks really good too. Any pics of that?
Looks like an add on to the house?

The aviary is nothing special. Just a quick bang up job, really, and not attached to the house. The window was added for better viewing and to make feeding easier and safer, since I no longer need to open the door to feed him (and thus not have him come flying out the aviary at me!).

Excuse my ignorance but why does she have to lay in a nest box? Do you not want to take them out and incubate them yourself? Or are you not able to unless they lay in a specific place first?

Female lacies are fussy about where they lay there eggs. They choose somewhere that holds constant warmth and humidity. Wild females lay in termite mounds that are humid and warm (the termites work to keep the mound at around 30'c). This is important because lacie eggs will be incubating for about 9 months! In captivity females need to be provided with a nesting box that has that same warmth and humidity for her to lay her eggs in. If captive females can't find a place suitable enough then they tend to hold onto their eggs for too long and then lay them randomly on the enclosure floor over the course of a day or 2. These eggs will be no good for 2 reasons: 1) She has held them in for too long instead of laying them when they were ready to come out, and 2) She has laid them on open ground with the sun beating down on them and overheating them quickly.

I have lost about 8 clutches (5 from one female, 2 from another) because
they didn't find my nest boxes to be satisfactory for them to lay their eggs in. When they do lay in the nest box, the eggs are removed for artificial incubation.

Last edited:
Back