Australain Reptile Breeders Alliance

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, is it kind of like the AFDA - Australian Funeral Directors Association...? Who would be the "governing body" to decide on the breeder's integrity and reputation? Is there a time frame (like, you have to have been breeding the specific animals for "x" amount of years)?We will use a peer based selection, we have some great people on board and a vast knowledge of the hobby. We will also conduct phone interviews if need be.

It sounds good... but call me cynical, I have reservations... I know a 'few' "reputable" breeders who 'shouldn't' make it to the list...We will make sure our decisions will have a positive effect on the users

Just curious!

Best,
Carolyn
PS - The flyer looks damn awesome! :) Thank you

So, with respect D3pro, what if you have an "altercation" with a really good, well-known and highly respected breeder who has a great deal of integrity, you take a "dislike" to the person (not saying you would, just putting it out there...), and you and the mods decide "nup, black-ball this person, not going on the list"... What happens then? Would there be anything in place for this to be avoided?

No that won't be the case. In matters of expulsion, proper evidence has to be bought to the table and made to the members attention.
Hope this helps!

As far as I understand the decisions are made by the members as a group. All members carry the same weight in decision making. Emails are sent out to the members and the majority vote of the members decide what happens. I don't think an alliance like this can work if it's biased! I can't wait to see the website Denuel. With you in charge it should look good!

It's about time that something like this is established so that newbies have a pleasant first time experience when it comes to reptile keeping! We cant afford to lose people from the hobby because their first snake died because they were not given the necessary help by the breeder.

So is this going to be similar to that 'breeders registry' thing that was recently proposed?...

I personally think that if a breeder on this site recieves bad feedback, they shouldn't be allowed to sell anymore until it get's sorted. As Fay has said, further damage can be done in the mean time while it's getting sorted. There will be a fast response to the matter. It will all be in the sites terms and condition

Great Idea though, I will be keeping an eye out for when it's to go live.

I just thought it was a place with contacts.
What's the difference is someone is dogey on that, then on here or any other form of advertising?
I don't see how it's ARBA responsibility at all.

It's ARBA's responsibility because we want to help build trust in the hobby. ARBA will work with the Users and the members in order to achieve this.

customer follow up and customer feedback go hand in hand .... its not how the problem occurs , its how its delt with that builds a reputation

Exactly.

This has the potential to become a legal mine field!
If you exclude someone your opening up to a legal challenge, the same can be applied to expelling of someone.

in the real world this would be good for the hobby, but do you really think its going to work? just look at how some breeders have been bad mouthed on this site by buyers that later change their mind about their purchase. also look at the bodies that register pedigree cats and dogs, but more cats and dogs are purchased from petshops and puppy farms than registed breeders. dose it also say that the first time breeder or the breeder that only breeds 3 or 4 pairs and isnt a member dosent breed and offer the same quality animal as a member that breeds 20 pairs? sorry for my negitivity

So is this going to be similar to that 'breeders registry' thing that was recently proposed?...

I don't think it's a registry but rather a place to find a breeder that will give buyers the right advice and be willing to help, within reason of course. That's our understanding of it.

If you exclude someone your opening up to a legal challenge, the same can be applied to expelling of someone.

Care to explain?

We have it covered. By members accepting the terms and conditions, expulsions done within in those terms and conditions cannot be challenged.

So can anyone join just to bignote themselves and claim to be a 'big name breeder'? What's to stop people from badmouthing others purely out of jealousy that is so common in this hobby? What happens when someone is given a bad reputation?...are they blacklisted and is the reason that they are black listed added next to their name? What if someone wants to join that is disliked by the moderators? Are they treated as fair as friends of the moderators?

I just can't see how this can't be bias....

in the real world this would be good for the hobby, but do you really think its going to work? just look at how some breeders have been bad mouthed on this site by buyers that later change their mind about their purchase. also look at the bodies that register pedigree cats and dogs, but more cats and dogs are purchased from petshops and puppy farms than registed breeders. dose it also say that the first time breeder or the breeder that only breeds 3 or 4 pairs and isnt a member dosent breed and offer the same quality animal as a member that breeds 20 pairs? sorry for my negitivity

These were our concerns as well! As far as we understand this will merely be a resource for people who would like to find a breeder that will look after them for the long hall, along with specific animals. It is not a registered association, club etc. Everybody gets a fair go and both sides of the story will be considered. There is no elitist group running it either. It's for anybody who is up to the challenge of providing their customers with after service and care. We would not be interested otherwise!

Is this ARBA being run as an association?( legally registered entity)

So can anyone join just to bignote themselves and claim to be a 'big name breeder'? What's to stop people from badmouthing others purely out of jealousy that is so common in this hobby? What happens when someone is given a bad reputation?...are they blacklisted and is the reason that they are black listed added next to their name? What if someone wants to join that is disliked by the moderators? Are they treated as fair as friends of the moderators?

I just can't see how this can't be bias....

The terms and conditions aren't bias. It will be on the site when it goes live. I'm sure if you have a read of it you will be impressed.

Is this ARBA being run as an association?( legally registered entity)

I think Denuel said that it would cost $30 a year for a page on the site. That's to maintain the site for the year. He is offering the service and time to build it.

as a consumer what will you offer us? when it comes to reputation we have to go on others exp, sellers feedback at aps and luck,
what protection do you offer for buyers if any and apart from a nice logo a breeder can offer what will ARBA actually be?
if i buy an animal off a "reputable" ARBA registered breeder will you back a consumer, if ,a member is proved to be a risk either in disease or husbandry etc etc will the board support the consumer over the breeder?
will this be a "good old boys club" of a circle of friends cornering the market by "blacklisting" anyone not on it?
just some things im wondering not sure what i think about this but as a consumer im interested in where it can go and where it might go.....

The terms and conditions aren't bias. It will be on the site when it goes live. I'm sure if you have a read of it you will be impressed.

There is no way you can guarantee that there won't be favouritism. My original question was 'can ANYONE join?' What makes someone a trustworthy snake dealer/breeder? Can you be breeding a couple of spotteds each year or do you need to be pumping out weird looking expensive snakes?
I doubt I will be impressed because I highly doubt that this will run smoothly. It is also not a chore or a challenge to provide quality service, it should be expected of everyone, not just folks that have bothered to join the ARBA. You do not have to spend long in this hobby to learn who you can or can't trust..

im pretty sure its an olive and not a mac. looks like olive to me!

nahh I think it's one of the albino macs that are out there. the head shape is different to an Olive. Gorgeous snake either way. Definitely on my dream list.

That's a great idea! When will the site be up? Will be a lot easier to find what we're looking for now and from a reputable breeder :)

as a consumer what will you offer us? when it comes to reputation we have to go on others exp, sellers feedback at aps and luck,
what protection do you offer for buyers if any and apart from a nice logo a breeder can offer what will ARBA actually be?
if i buy an animal off a "reputable" ARBA registered breeder will you back a consumer, if ,a member is proved to be a risk either in disease or husbandry etc etc will the board support the consumer over the breeder?
will this be a "good old boys club" of a circle of friends cornering the market by "blacklisting" anyone not on it?
just some things im wondering not sure what i think about this but as a consumer im interested in where it can go and where it might go.....

I think there will always be unsurity when it comes to something like this! We are still unsure but we will give it a go if it means that we can keep people in the hobby. It really is a double edged sword as there is always two sides to a story. Unfortunately consumers are not always right and this will be considered. I also don't think there is a black list.

Not being Bias

Is it just me, but the name says it all, its an Alliance, which is a pretty much a team, a side, an opposition.....
So how can this venture not be bias?

Im happy for something like this to be out there, but if its what cp.com.au thinks it is, a directory of breeders, why call it an Alliance? Why not call it a Directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back