Australain Reptile Breeders Alliance

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly Matt!

I will probably never use this. It's just personall preference and am sharing my opinion, as Matt pointed out I dont think it will work.
Good breeders dont need to advertise with this kind of stuff, they already have the reputation from the quality animals they have sold in the past and good service they have offered, word of mouth has done the rest for them, they are the ones I'll stick with. Plus I'm not a fan of those carrying on with this commercial bullshit for many reasons.
I am sure none of the breeders I know would advertise on this, as I said, they don't need to. Again, as Matt said, this is for breeders trying to bignote themselves and bring themselves some self satisfaction.

Is it just me, but the name says it all, its an Alliance, which is a pretty much a team, a side, an opposition.....
So how can this venture not be bias?

Im happy for something like this to be out there, but if its what cp.com.au thinks it is, a directory of breeders, why call it an Alliance? Why not call it a Directory?

Fair point! Do you really think a word will change people's perceptions on something like this? I am sure it can be changed but I don't think people would change their mind about it. I would think that all breeders would want to be part of something like this.

It's funny that you mention it is not a chore to provide customer service , if this is the case then why do so many not have a freaking clue

There is no way you can guarantee that there won't be favouritism. My original question was 'can ANYONE join?' What makes someone a trustworthy snake dealer/breeder? Can you be breeding a couple of spotteds each year or do you need to be pumping out weird looking expensive snakes?
I doubt I will be impressed because I highly doubt that this will run smoothly. It is also not a chore or a challenge to provide quality service, it should be expected of everyone, not just folks that have bothered to join the ARBA. You do not have to spend long in this hobby to learn who you can or can't trust..

It almost sounds like that this is being set up to get 'breeders' names out there more, and to ultimately sell more animals as a result of that. So is this meant to be benefiting the buyer or the seller?

It's funny that you mention it is not a chore to provide customer service , if this is the case then why do so many not have a freaking clue

The majority do provide exceptional customer service, it's only a chore for the dodgey folks which this 'alliance' will attract...

Why can't it benefit both?

At $30 a year for anybody to join and get your name out there you would have to be stupid not to consider it!

I may have missed it somewhere but where does the $30 from each registered member go?

It's for the sellers, I fail to see how this could benefit buyers. If someone is after a certain animal, its not hard to find someone with the animal of interest available. At the moment, I am after a few animals that I doubt would be advertised, the rarity fact has a play in it, but the main one is they don't need to advertise, the waiting list is as long as your arm.
For new comers to the hobby this could be great, or for anyone wanting a carpet python.

Embrace it or reject it , that will be up to the individual .

I sold out of 85 geckos this year with minimal advertising and forward orders until well into next season , other than my personal beliefs of this being a good idea there is no benefit to me other than to provide the same thing that I strive for day in day out in my 9-5 profession

I think ultimately it is to benefit both the buyer and the seller. For those already established in the hobby we are all well aware of the 'bad apples' as word spreads fast!

This would most benefit the newbies, the ones just venturing into the hobby who do not have the contacts or the knowledge of who is reputable.

so you offer no benefits to buyers at all? and not alot for breeders apart from a type of cartel or self appointed board and advertising?
whats it going to cost to be a reputable dealer? once someone is in the group, can they stop someone becoming a reputable breeder
by joining this group? will not being a member make you a dodgie lemon seller?
who selects the members what makes them reputable apart from having friends as members or being members?

For those already established in the hobby we are all well aware of the 'bad apples' as word spreads fast!

You are right in saying that those of us that have been in the hobby for a while know who the bad apples are Jay, but what's to stop those bad apples from joing the ARBA and big noting themselves to newbies that don't know that they are bad? You can still offer good customer service but be a bad apple for other reasons....

I am reputable, here is $30 to make me more so. I also want my own website done and you can have a snake for it.

You are right in saying that those of us that have been in the hobby for a while know who the bad apples are Jay, but what's to stop those bad apples from joing the ARBA and big noting themselves to newbies that don't know that they are bad? You can still offer good customer service but be a bad apple for other reasons....

Exactly!

if i was to join who decides im reputable? my customers over the years or a bunch of blokes that dont know me, wont ever be allowed at my place and dont even know what i keep?

Embrace it or reject it , that will be up to the individual .

I sold out of 85 geckos this year with minimal advertising and forward orders until well into next season , other than my personal beliefs of this being a good idea there is no benefit to me other than to provide the same thing that I strive for day in day out in my 9-5 profession

Is your business still up for sale this week? 30K wasn't it?

Gird

Why can't it benefit both?

At $30 a year for anybody to join and get your name out there you would have to be stupid not to consider it!

The flyer says that its open for all breeders small and large with "demonstrated integrity when distrubuting and selling reptiles and respected by the reptile community"
Who and how is this measured? Does somebody follow up a number of sales the breeder has completed to see how the held themselves throughout the transaction?
What about the new breeder? If they haven't sold anything before, how can they demonstrate the requirements and become "respected by the reptile community"

Pet Pages has a breeders directory, the difference between that and the ARBA is that the ARBA (from the way it comes across to me) moderates who gets to join.

I guess the only way this can be cleared up is once the website launches and the terms and conditions are shown.

I would hope there is some sort of screening process to weed them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back