AAE Have NOT changed their regulations.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I propose an alternative title for this thread.. "AAE Have NOT changed their inconsistencies"

Haha sponge. They are planning on a reptile fact sheet but have to finish cats and dogs first, then birds then us.

She has been forwarded this thread as well, they will har a representative on soon.

Did you pre book just with AAE?

We get turned away at Gladstone now if you just rock up with the parcel, but if you ring them at least a day early it's all fine. We don't need to book through a pet carrier company.
I thinks it is rediculous to expect to "just rock up with a live animal and dispatch it". It is common courtesy to check that the system is in place such that the trip will be as troublefree as possible.Flights get cancelled , some receiving offices are not always open, there are lots of reasons why advanced notice is needed.I admire AAE for putting up with novice users for minimal return.Whilst reptile keeping may be a hobby ,AAE is a business and needs to have proceedures in place based upon its vast experience and the prevailing regulations.

AAE have no changed any regulations as of 1st of May. They were related to Cats and Dogs.

AAE is now going to organise a representative to be on APS like DECCW does. Clarification will come in the new few days.

I have spoken with the National Manager - Operational Systems and Planning.

This includes booking them in.

Thats great news gillsy, but maybe they should communicate that to their desk staff at the Sydney office.

A detailed fact sheet on their website would be SO helpful! For example, which (if any) plastic containers are considered suitable for shipping hatchlings?

I agree, some more detail as to which plastic containers are suitable for hatchies. The switch to plywood boxes increases the weight and could tip the parcel over the 1kg mark with a resultant increase in shipping cost.

Last edited:
The Melbourne centre is using the new system and are refusing to accept reptile shipments unless they are pre booked. The other thing we have noted is the cost has risen, containers we have been shipping in all along are now being charged out at nearly double the old rate.
As of a few weeks ago our shipping prices are the same (from Melbourne...)
I guess I will find out this week when I drop off another package....;)

As of a few weeks ago our shipping prices are the same (from Melbourne...)
I guess I will find out this week when I drop off another package....;)

We shipped a reptile package 2 weeks ago, we rang up and booked it in, they were given the package size and weight, destination to send to etc.

The quote given was the same amount as usual for a package of the dementions given (26Lx23Wx18H) and weight of the package ( was well under 1kg) at $51, When we arrived
to drop it off we were told it was going to cost $81 as the package size was in the range for a 2kg package.

Now what is the point when all the details were given at the time of pre booking of giving a price for shipment when its going to be nothing like what you are going to be charged when the package is dropped off.
They have in the last couple of months become even more inconsistant that ever before.

Last edited:
Packaging suitable for hatchlings up to medium size snakes.

Eski from Coles ($4.-), sturdy plastic box from Howards Storage ($12.-), shredded paper ($0.-)
The eski is glued to the bottom of the box (using a hot glue gun), so it can't move, air holes on the sides of both - eski and the box, the lid is secured with 4 screws, total weight 640 grams (without the contents), size 370x240x225mm.

View attachment 198557

View attachment 198558View attachment 198559
AaE never complained about this packaging.

Last edited:

Eski from Coles ($4.-), sturdy plastic box from Howards Storage ($12.-), shredded paper ($0.-)
The eski is glued to the bottom of the box (using a hot glue gun), so it can't move, air holes on the sides of both - eski and the box, the lid is secured with 4 screws, total weight 64 grams. (without the contents).

That "sturdy" plastic box is the same one I used on the weekend and was told it wasnt strong enough to support the weight of the parcels on top so isnt suitable !!!

However a few weeks back I used the same box (again) and was served by a different person. They commended me on how the reptiles were packaged.

AAE's inconsistency is the problem here

I have just been on the phone to AaE National Business Development Manager, Airport to Airport Services, there are changes, but not as significant as some AaE front counter staff are claiming. The major thing that needs to be done in MAJOR centers is that you need to call to book, soon there will be a central number that will take all animal freight bookings, the individual AaE offices will only lodge the animals on the day (not yet implemented). No booking no flight...now this has happened to some people already!

Also when it comes to packaging, the regulations have been in place for years, its just that front counter staff have not enforced them. You need to remember when packaging that you need to have enough space for:
Consignment note from AaE
Senders Details
Receivers Details
Clear description of contents
Area to place live animal transport sticker

It is best to have this on top so it is easy to read, although the live animal stickers can go on the sides. The price will depend on which is greater, the actual weight of the item, or the cubed weight of the container. Prices have gone up recently, however this is not unexpected given the rising cost of freight generally. Even Australia Post have again put up prices in the last 6 months.

Speaking to AaE today I requested that they take note of what is being said, but as APS does not cater to the entire reptile community that they should not only provide a voice here, but also put in writing on their website what is required including the IATA regulations for freighting reptiles. The lady I spoke with beleives that this is a great idea as they have also been getting complaints from people with birds and other unusual animals (not cats and dogs).

The shippers statement and acknowledgement form is not required for reptile transport and was never designed for it, so it should not be required. Again this will come down to consistency within AaE.....

The eski is glued to the bottom of the box (using a hot glue gun), so it can't move, air holes on the sides of both - eski and the box, the lid is secured with 4 screws, total weight 640 grams (without the contents), size 370x240x225mm.

View attachment 198557

View attachment 198558View attachment 198559

The problem with using plastic containers as crush proof is that many plastics are brittle and shatter under point loads. I like Daves idea of using PVC pipe whcich is cheap and structurally strong.

Here's how I pack my herps for freight, the box is big enough to hold a snake up to the size of an adult Antaresia.
I can stand on it not a problem without it buckling, I weight 97 kg and it could handle much more weight.

Attachments

• IMGP0681.JPG
    IMGP0681.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMGP0682.JPG
    IMGP0682.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGP0683.JPG
    IMGP0683.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGP0684.JPG
    IMGP0684.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 49
As there seems to be inconsistency on the front counter at each major depot (a theme running through this thread) depending on who serves you on the day. I think it would be beneficial if the AaE representative that goes on here can draft a letter that we could all follow with instructions to give to the front counter staff. No confusion on their end and no confusion on ours when shipping. Do you guys think this is a feasable thing to do? It's just a quick print for us and additional information/assurance for the front counter staff that we have followed their guidelines.

How not to pack. This is a package from one of the well known big breeders after my 6 year old daughter (22kg) stood on it

Attachments

• IMGP0723.JPG
    IMGP0723.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMGP0724.JPG
    IMGP0724.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 56
Red-Ink, they are looking at this and many other AaE related threads, but as I mentioned APS does not service the entire reptile community, so they are putting togther a document that will be placed on their webpage to detail what is required, this will also then be readily available to AaE counter staff (which will be phased out of the booking of reptiles over the next few months once a national call center is established, again reducing confusion), AaE counter staff will soon only be required to lodge the animals on the day once it has been booked in through the system which is being established. Once the document is uploaded I am sure that it will be posted here a number of times!

Nice work Gillsy , will be much better having one of them on here to tell us what is actually happening..

f,wt? how does it follow that when someone who works there is a member that they can give you correct info....mmm......let's take DECCW for example.

f,wt? how does it follow that when someone who works there is a member that they can give you correct info....mmm......let's take DECCW for example.

HUH? They aren't a member, they are joining because of my suggestion to join to answer our questions and concerns.

Well as Gillsy suggested , they will have a representative join up to pass on relevant /correct information , I would have thought that was a good thing ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back