Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchw197

Reaction score
hi guys after a year of saving and researching im ready to buy my first python i had my heart set on a black and gold jungle but after reading about them the seem a bit agressive for my first snake. what do you guys think or sugest?

thanks for the great forum its helped me alot

Jungles have a reputation for being a bit snap happy.

However snakes, like humans are individuals. Some are calm and some are not. It is a bit of a lottery, however the parents may give an indication of temperament.

Finally, you are not a real herper if you have not been bitten.

You can't believe everything you read. When I was in your situation I read most Darwins were snappy. I have 4 and all but one never even look like biting. Some breeders will probably have some in a clutch that seem more settled than others. My advice.......I would go to a respected breeder and tell them what you are after you might be surprised...Great you have spent time thinking it over and not rushed in on impulse....If your heart is set on a jungle....go for it.

the breeder and i went thru the entire clutch until i found one that i liked n handled well

I think price wise and temperament wise a Darwin python would be an excellent first snake , they are always easy to handle ,great feeders and have some of the best patterning going around if you ask me!

If you want a jungle get a jungle. It depends on the snake you really have to go and look at some and handle them to see if there are any suitable to your needs. Childreni, Stimsoni, spotted, bredli are a good first snake but again there is no guareentee that you won't get a bit or two from them. Just ask the breeder or person you are buying from if you could try your hand at a few if you are worried about getting bitten then ask them to get the snake out first. That way you can see what it's reaction is like getting picked up.

Spotted pythons also make great first pets , though when they are young they can be quiet bitey

thanks alot guys

ill have a look around the breeders and see what comes up

i dnt mind getting bitten thats no issue

just want a nice python to look at and handle a litte bit

i just cant look past the jungles

Get a jungle :D dont let the reputation put you off, they are great. Sure, some can be aggressive, but this is true of every species :)

Ash.

i think the quality of the keeper is obvious if they want to make sure you go home with the right animal for you. personally my sight sux so if they are to flighty its very hard for me. so we went through and found the most laid back chilled out little guy. some of the others were prettier but i luv my lil guy. because hes right for me. i dont plan to breed so i dont mind if hes a bit duller. to me hes gorgous.

nany jungles r fine...they r really good or like the devil..but if you put in the time and get a few bites they will calm down with time!

My house mate has a jungle snappyest thing when it came home after a month of handling hes the one everyone holds and likes will still snap if you scare him but hes cute

get a jungle.....

i just got one in the last couple of weeks, he was the last of the clutch because he was the most aggressive. the breeder called him "snappy"

snappy = good feeders too

i have held him probably 4/5 times and he is getting used to being held, not that i can wiggle my fingers without a spikey headbutt. little nimrod is quite becoming one of my favourites, it must be because i like the challenge of taming the beast.

you could try and get a tame'ish snake but eventually you will be bitten, i reckon get the jungle but get it when it's little so the bites wont hurt

edit: my wife loves the little guy too (from the other side of the room lol)
she says she'll hold him when he stops biting, she'll probably call him her snake when that happens too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back