Dodgy Pinky Rats?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kawasakirider

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, it's feeding day today and I was down to two pinkies, so I went down the road just then and grabbed some more.

Usually the pinkies are very clean from where I get them, the pet shop isn't the greatest, but their feed seems fine. This time, the pinkies have lots of substrate and brown stuff on them, I think it may be faeces.

I've heard some horror stories, so I don't want to give them to my snakes if they are dodgy. Here's some pics, what do you guys think?

0aa999e5.jpg

9a565e5d.jpg

Thanks in advance

chuck o ssssss !! hasta la vista pinkies !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OH MY GOSH!

My first thought is what sort of foul freaking conditions are those poor rats being kept in to be in that sort of condition!?!

Second was: no freaking way would I feed those to my snakes!

Third was: Keep the pinkies in the freezer and report the pets shop and keep the pinkies as proof.

There is no reason what so ever to neglect animals like that! Even feeders.

Please note: This isn't a go at you and you did right to question their condition.

Well I don't really have the cash to get more pinkies... Like I DO, but $20 is handy as a uni student, I know it sounds petty, but yeah. ANYWAY, what should I do? My snakes need to be fed?

I'm just gunna go to the better pet shop across town and get some more. Hope they are open :/

Take them back to the shop you bought them from and COMPLAIN NICELY :)

Thanks Michelle, I am just bored and wanted to feed them, but my boredom wouldn't warrant me doing anything to hurt them :)

I went to the good pet store and they have a very knowledgable girl there, she's very nice. The boss is a good bloke, too. They looked at the pinkies and said they had infected scabs, not faeces like I first thought. Apparently if they are kept in cages, the rats can fall through the wire and get sores and things like that. They said it looks like the rats had just been chucked in the freezer, not gassed, as there was substrate everywhere.

Anyway, I told them that the snakes were eating two each, and they said I should just go up to fuzzy rats. I have 3 snakes, and I get 6 in a pack, so that should last a fortnight :) At $16, I can't complain, those pinkies were $20 for 10.

Here they are :)

Here they are, much better presented. I think I have seen this brand advertised on the forum before. I used to buy them, but the convenience of the store I got this last batch from had been great. I'll be steering clear from there in the future, though.

1ecfbc7f.jpg

0680999e.jpg

Take them back to the shop you bought them from and COMPLAIN NICELY :)

I don't know if I'll bother mate. They are nice people in there, I just don't like what they sold me, so I'll just stop going. Depends if I have the time to go.

OH MY GOSH!

My first thought is what sort of foul freaking conditions are those poor rats being kept in to be in that sort of condition!?!

Second was: no freaking way would I feed those to my snakes!

Third was: Keep the pinkies in the freezer and report the pets shop and keep the pinkies as proof.

There is no reason what so ever to neglect animals like that! Even feeders.

Please note: This isn't a go at you and you did right to question their condition.

I think I'd have a hard time proving where they came from, given the fact they aren't in a labelled bag, just am average ziplock.

They look gross as I definitely wouldn't use them

Eww gross pics.. I wouldn't be game to feed those to my pythons.
One pet store I went to said to euthanase rats, they just put them between two buckets and chuck in the freezer.. Horrible :\

I always get Rodent Farm mice & rats (plenty available at pet stores here) and am always extremely impressed.
Always clean and well presented.

That second lot look almost good enough to eat myself!!

Honestly mate I have a friend that almost lost her snake to a bad frozen rat.

when i buy some rats there is some substrate on them it sort of looks like saw dust should this concern me the rats themselves look good but?

The Rodent Farm fuzzies eventually went down a treat. I was worried that the snakes wouldn't eat them. The snappy one came right up to it and just opened her mouth!!! Hahaha. But then, she let go and tried a few different ways for about half an hour before having a proper crack. The male was the same, all in all it was over an hour, but they got them down haha. Here are the pics.

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

That was a HUGE feed, haha.

Unfortunately the non feeder still wouldn't take a pinky (I had two other pinkies left over, I wouldn't try to feed the dodgy ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back