Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weeks approximately since his last feed. He didn't like the rats to begin with, he's used to mice. But he's settled down into the nicest little snake, considering the hell we put the poor thing through when I first got him.

I use the kritters krumble , fine for my stimi coarse for my coastal, looks good and they seem to like it, I can put you onto a guy who imports it and is fairly cheap compared to the stores I have been to. :)

I actually used crushed olive pip... its a lot like the crushed walnut shell. I haven't had any problems with it at all and it hasn't caused any feeding/shedding problems and pretty cheap... I think I paid around $14 for a bag? Couldn't tell ya how many kilos it was. It's great for spot cleaning and all that, and I'm using it for my spotted.

Aspen Snake Bedding is available in Perth if at any stage you want to try it.
I concur with Bucky, Breeder’s Choice Kitty Litter is not dusty and most certainly doesn’t encourage moisture to sit there.
You should not have a problem with moisture, given the Summer / Autumn we have had here. Are you filling the water bowl to the brim? If so, don’t as the Stimmie will occasionally sit in it. Allow for that. If you are located near the coast it could be related to moisture condensation on the glass if the glass is allowed to get cold over night. Moisture would primarily condense on the outside but may be able to make its way inside via the vents. This would only occur if the viv is exposed to a lot of outside air – easily solved by putting it indoors. I can’t think of another logical reason why you might get moisture build up.

If you are worried about impaction when feeding at any stage, just throw a folded sheet of newspaper down first and feed the snake on that. Easy fixed!

Blue

For those of you who use aspen like me, do you feed outside of the enclosure to avoid ingestion?
Also, is it okay to move the python after it's just eaten back into the enclosure? (I'm also worried about doing this for my Woma due to the strong feeding response).

At the moment, I use Aspen for my Stimson and Jungle pythons. The Stimson python has tiles below the heat lamp which I feed on, and I feed the jungle on her perch/shelf, so there's never really been much of an issue with ingestion..

honestly it doesnt really matter depending on the size of the snake as it will pass with its food. larger the better on of my diamonds (4ft) ate a bit of the kitty crumble stuff and had passed when it deficated. i found the aspen molds.

yah newspaper , but I too know about wanting to make their enclosures also look nice . I bought this "Play Sand" thats what its called from Bunnings , most of my pythons dont mind it ( only had one refusal , which involved my female darwin sticking herself to the walls of her enclosure looking very awkward till she found a branch to retreat away from the sand and onto..lol) So Ive taken the sand out of her enclosure and just kept her on newspaper . It was a little wet for afew days but dried out no probs... But I still wouldnt be feeding in the enclosure with this as my substrate !

all my snakes seem happy with the feel of ozpet litter (compressed wood pellets)
theyre more than happy to lie on it when theyre not in the branches.

large pees do stay damp for a while, but its my job to scoop out the wet bits, so once thats done its all back to nice and clean and dry.

this stuff is so awesome its even removed all teh pong from the shingleback enclosure, and if youve ever smelt an enclosure with 4 shingles living in it it can be pretty damn rank,....

I use Aspen or Newspaper in the enclosures (no problems), I feed in a separate tub that has newspaper - Aspen looks good, newspaper is the cheapest and easiest.

I agree with blue1 if you are in the Perth area it's odd you would be having moisture probs.
Just keep in mind if you decide to try soil, DEC say in their caresheets not to use it and some people have been grilled upon inspection.

Also I recomend newspaper.

Just building my snake house now read somwhere marine carpet is the go, i'll be buying 3x what I need and i'll rotate them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back