snake in water bowl

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tooben

Reaction score
just a stupid question but why do snakes soak in water bowls?

They like to have a bath when they're feeling dirty....

or it could be a few things, mites, coming up for a shed, or just love water.

yes was thinking mites as i do have a problem with them at the moment . but even befor the mites turned up they have been doing it.
just really wanted to fine out why they do it.

One of my Bredlis does it after a feed.

But yeah, there's a few reasons. As long as your enclosures not too hot and it doesn't have mites, should be fine.

If it is mites, check the water once the snake gets out, there will be some tiny black spots in the water, these are the mites.
To see them easier, tip the water into a bucket of water filter by paper towel, this should show them if they have mites.

To get rid of them, get your self some Top of Decent and follow the instructions. Repeat the process after 5-7 days.
Also remove all substrate and put fresh stuff in once the enclosure has been treated. Repeat the process after 5-7 days

Hope that helps.

Edit:
Just re read your post.
They seem to do it because they like it. Some do some dont, I guess like some people like to swim and some people don't.

Last edited:
Hot
Mites
Dirty
Fun
Shed
To freak out and confuse their owner

I had a coastal who every day would seek out water and sit in it most of the day, she'd even climb into the shower or bathtub and wait there for someone to turn the taps on (did some visitors get a surprise). I had to keep the toilet lid down at all times. She'd climb onto the fish aquarium and try to get in. She ended up with mum's best tupperware container taking up a large amount of floor space in her enclosure as a swimming pool.

Her mate on the other hand hated water or anything damp and I quickly gave up trying to help his shed with a bit of water. Different personalities and different likes.

Hot
Mites
Dirty
Fun
Shed
To freak out and confuse their owner

Can add
*Too cold (Sometimes water can be warmer than the surrounding air)
*For comfort especially after a good feed
*For security,especially young snakes.
*Because they can.

most likely shed coming or mites. although as previous posts have stated some snakes like water. my MD likes to sit in her bowl every now and then..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back