Major Skin Loss Down to Bone

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longqi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
We have a retic just brought into the shop yesterday

1] Approximately 2m
Very underweight and dehydrated
Covered in ticks and mites
Betadine bath and savlon on some infected bites

2] Has a major injury where a section of skin/meat is missing from about 5mm from nose back to 3mm in front of eyes
Approximately 20mm x 10mm missing
Facial bones are clearly visible but appear to be intact
Skin section is missing so I cannot stitch it back on
Still definitely has power and ability to strike and bite
Bite is comparable to a similar sized snake so I dont think there is too much muscle damage
Is drinking

I have very little first aid equipment/medications
Have applied savlon, honey, betadine paste
Have never used this on an injury that is this bad before but it works very well on cuts etc

Has anyone had to home remedy an injury like this???

Any advice gratefully accepted

Sounds nasty.i can't help but have called a friend interstate who might be able to help with some advice.im dumb as a post with this kinda thing.could it be a bite mark from fighting or escaping from a predator?

Wash with bedadine and water twice a day then apply silverzine cream to the affected area. I have treated a diamond that had been attacked by prey this way It works a treat Antibiotic injections wouldnt hurt either

Not sure exactly what what caused it
But its the only injury involving skin loss on the snake
Appears to be a fairly new injury
Flesh is still flesh coloured with no signs of healing or scabbing

Ty snakelady
Antibiotics are pretty hard to come by up this way
Will try to track down silverzine

I cant offer much in the way of home remedies but since I believe you rehab a lot animals, it would probably be handy to get some chlorhex or neotopic when you are able to. They're both great for keeping wounds clean. I have also noticed that wounds heal much quicker than I have expected them too when I use neotopic

Another suggestion is to pack guaze infused with betadine into the hole.
Cover good skin/ area in savlon or paw paw ointment to protect good skin.
Change the dressing daily and look for signs of granulation. (New growth)

This works well for holes in humans so I assume will work on a snake.

Last edited:
also be careful about retained sheds in that area

How does one attach a bandage to a snakes head and keep it there?

Good question, I was thinking of that white elasticised netting stuff. Can't think what it is called.
Comes in numerous sizes. You used to be able to buy any length you wanted from chemist. Not sure if this is still
the case or has ever been in Bali.
Good luck Longqi

TY TY TY
Am using aloe vera with the savlon, and honey; hadnt thought of pawpaw
Sent girlfriend to look for chlorhex and neotopic now but not holding my breath
Seems florazine is similar to silverzine and may be sometimes available from doctors here if they have any in stock
Its not really a hole so I cant really pack it efficiently
Dont want to stress it out too much by attempting to bind the head which would be the only way to keep a bandage on
Just like something cut out a section of skin and meat with a blunt knife

That's horrible mate. Do you have any pics? I'd say just keep applying creams and obviously not have it in a cage with any loose substrate to get stuck to it.

Just be careful using ointments in tropical areas as it can make
the wound become too moist. You can alternate between ointment/cream and betadine
wash if it becomes too moist.

If you can get hold of cuttle fish bone (like you give to budgies) and mix about the top of a thumbnail worth into it's water or sprinkle on prey item it is an absolutely fantastic natural antibiotic, I have used it on every animal and human I have owned (yes I own humans, lol) since being told about it by indigenous people in NSW and for everything from wounds to abscesses to infected teeth and gums, works very quickly.

It was definitely dehydrated so I rehydrated using powerade/warm water bath
Worked really well
Hydration part looks a lot better now
Have it in a dry tub with drinking water which it has used twice
Paper substrate so pretty dry in there

Will only take a photo if I think it wont freak it out too much when I check it next
But will not be pleasant to look at

plenty of cuttlefish bone here

What type of honey are you using? my brother swears by honey for wounds on his horses and dogs but reckons the difference between regular honey and the +10 unprocessed stuff is amazing. Manuka +10 he reckons is best, he gets it from health food shops here but dont know whats available in your part of the world.
Not sure if thats any help.
Best of luck.

longqi, be very careful if you get chlorhex, avoid getting it the eyes... it can cause permanent damage.

Betadine should not be used once the wound is clean and infection free as it will also affect the new healthy tissue and will actually slow the healing process. Solosite is popular among wildlife carers and may available at your local pharmacy.

Cant get chlorex so that solved that possible problem

Yes used Manuka Honey in Aus, and it is pure magic but cant get it here; found a local brand up here that has a similar if slower effect

Ty about Solosite and info on betadine

I apologise if anyone thinks this is too graphic but this is what I am trying to fixrtic.jpg

Last edited:
Poor thing.... reptiles are tough though and I think you'll be ok so long as you can keep infection at bay. Granulation tissue should begin to close the gap soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back