Rat Study....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

solar 17

l along with 3 other breeders have just completed a 6 month intensive study of rats with their food intake versus production (for a large company) and imo two points in the study "may" help some rat and mouse breeders: 1/ suppying two diverse dry foods instead of one for eg. Bio Mare & and a meat and bone or meal based kibble for eg Pal kibble or something similar. 2/ And this is not for everyone but to feed fresh corn (in the morning) as a supplement,to their diet, the results of this addition were really right out there as to the size of the babies (pinkies)
......solar 17 (Baden)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats interesting about the corn because that is what you see in every rat cage at the markets here

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Can you explain the reason behind using corn for bigger pinkies?

Oh and is there anywhere we can see the report for the study?

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Can you explain the reason behind using corn for bigger pinkies?

Oh and is there anywhere we can see the report for the study?
I don't even see the other official results or the final conclusion myself its just my own results (and you have to do heaps of weighing and measuring) and of the others in the the study through emails.
This is the 4th study l have taken part in for different companies and anybody can join up to do them most of the big feed companies do them from time to time and while taking part in all the ones l have done all the feed required/needed is provided free of charge, but there is a considerable amount of weighing and measuring involved but if you dont mind that everything is free.
l got started with this when my local stock feed supplier put my name down and l enjoy doing it but its not for everyone....solar 17 (Baden)

When you say supply with Bio Mare and a meat and bone...What do you mean exactly?
For the protein?

Baden when you say it requires alot of weighing and measuring, roughly how many hours a week would you have spent on it? And did any of the study include any brands of rat cube? When i got my last lot of cummins rat cubes i was thinking about getting a few bags of biomare, might have to get some and give it a go

Baden when you say it requires alot of weighing and measuring, roughly how many hours a week would you have spent on it? And did any of the study include any brands of rat cube? When i got my last lot of cummins rat cubes i was thinking about getting a few bags of biomare, might have to get some and give it a go
Approx.3/4-1hr. per day extra....Baden

Definetely gonna grab some corn & give it a try....... sounds like a winner.....

Baden do you think there would be any difference between feeding frozen corn kernels and fresh?

I know my ratties love their frozen peas and corn and keeping both in the freezer is just an easier way of storing them.

What effect does the larger pinkies have on numbers in litter if any, also what effect does it have on feeding by the mother trying to supply enough milk for larger pinkies?
When you say larger do you mean larger by dimension or by weight?Do the pinkies appear to be 'chubby'(more fat content)or about the same proportion of fat to body weight ratio as the pilot group.
Thanks

From my experience in breeding rodents,fresh vegies atleast a few times a week does increase bigger litters also.I was averaging 10-12 every litter with only feeding cubes-occasional vegie scraps,however since i get alot of vegies from the green crocery,ive been feeding them atleast 4-5days in a week and the size of the litters are now averaging 14-16.DEFIANTLY worth feeding them corn-vegies...Especially for production..

I've always being intrigued as to why rodent breeders have such difficulty with food. I've bred my fair share of rodents in the day, as well as assisting with probably one of the most professional "food" rodent production facilities and have never bothered with things like Bio-Mare or supplements etc. Simply feeding them a high-quality complete diet pellet is all that is necessary - something like Ausorganics or Cummins. The facility that I assisted with was averaging approximately 12 weaners per month, per female on this.

I've always being intrigued as to why rodent breeders have such difficulty with food. I've bred my fair share of rodents in the day, as well as assisting with probably one of the most professional "food" rodent production facilities and have never bothered with things like Bio-Mare or supplements etc. Simply feeding them a high-quality complete diet pellet is all that is necessary - something like Ausorganics or Cummins. The facility that I assisted with was averaging approximately 12 weaners per month, per female on this.

Agreed, Our litters size is an average of 15, We feed only Cummins cubes.

Baden your rats are always such a great size. The pinkies are bigger than anything we sell at work. The ones we have are barely a mouthful even for a baby snake. Keep up the great work!

I may be wrong but other factors may be taken into consideration.

Living conditions, etc, housing, bedding, temperature and access to a variety of food. Not overcrowding and plenty of nesting material help.

My ratties always over acheive so that must say something. I beleive it is the above combination that produces large healthy litters - Not diet alone

Cheers
Sandee :)

I may be wrong but other factors may be taken into consideration.

Living conditions, etc, housing, bedding, temperature and access to a variety of food. Not overcrowding and plenty of nesting material help.

My ratties always over acheive so that must say something. I beleive it is the above combination that produces large healthy litters - Not diet alone

Cheers
Sandee :)

Definitely. A lot of breeders have the very simple idea that the more females they have, the more babies they'll produce, which is simply not true. There's some very important factors, such as air quality, humidity, temperature, photoperiod etc. We would regularly produce just over 3500 young in a single month from 274 females.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back