Camera

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redlittlejim

Reaction score
Hey everyone, im not that flash with cameras and was wondering what i should get my wife as a gift. she wants to take up photography of reptiles. from home and when we go herping.
i got her a 300-400 dollar one that is just a Nikon Coolpix L110 which is just basic. now im only looking to spend around $1200. any suggestions?
cheers Jared

i had a nikon d3000 paid about $1000 for it not too sure bout price now and i think there is a new model out now or will be out soon
worked good too i just didnt know how to use it properly

ok thanks, i have to make it by end of next month so will see how many others can give an idea

Get a base model camera body, either canon or nikon but don't get the lens kit that are offered with them. You will be better off spending the bulk of your cash on a good quality zoom lens.

Get a base model camera body, either canon or nikon but don't get the lens kit that are offered with them. You will be better off spending the bulk of your cash on a good quality zoom lens.

Good advice. Go for Canon, all Canon equipment is easy to get, I believe some Nikon gear has to be ordered, etc..

you can get a canon 550D with a twin lens kit from DD Photo graphics for $1245

you can get a canon 550D with a twin lens kit from DD Photo graphics for $1245

That's true but the lenses are rubbish. Anyone seriously interested in photography will discard these lenses within 6 months. It's like everything else, you get what you pay for.

i agree that kit lenses are rubbish for pro shooting, but if someone is working with a budget i think the kit lenses will do fine, atleast for the period of them getting familiar with the camera. but yes, better lenses eventually is a MUST!

I've just recently bought a D3100. I only bought the body and went with a third party brand (Tamron) and it's an awesome lens. It's always better to just buy a standard body and spend your money on a proper lens. It's worth it. My friend uses a D90 and the kit lens and I take better pics then her because of the lens. It's worth it.

i agree that kit lenses are rubbish for pro shooting, but if someone is working with a budget i think the kit lenses will do fine, atleast for the period of them getting familiar with the camera. but yes, better lenses eventually is a MUST!

I know, budget is always a limiting factor. If Jim's wife wants to do reptile photography, none of the two lenses offered in the kit are any good for that. If your finances allow you, buy the Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM macro lens. She will be using ti and be very happy with for the next 10 years.

I know, budget is always a limiting factor. If Jim's wife wants to do reptile photography, none of the two lenses offered in the kit are any good for that. If your finances allow you, buy the Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM macro lens. She will be using ti and be very happy with for the next 10 years.
true, i am just saying that if there is a budget issue the lens kit is fine for a few months (get used to the camera functions and capabilities) while they get together the cash to get a good macro. while tamron and sigma are not quite in the nikon or canon range with lenses, they can still get a good macro lens that has a nice price tag attached. (also picking up ex-police lenses at auction can be good, i currently use a 60mm f2.8 nikon macro that i picked up for $15 because it had a slight chip in it!)

Go on ebay, i bought a Cannon 500D body and lens kit for $1000 about a year and a half ago, and since then upgraded the lens to a nice zoom lens but the 18-55 lens is still a good lens for close up shots. You can get body only cannons for cheap now. and lens are dropping with the strong Aus $$$ now is the time to spend up big.
But def go Cannon, ease to use and product quality are great. Id hit a 550D for a first DSLR, easy to use and you wont want to upgrade in the next year, it will last a lifetime.
Hope it helps Matt.

I purchased a Canon 500d with the twin lens kit just over 12 months but I was still using my Olympus point and shoot because the canon kit lenses were not suitable for reptile photography. I've only just started using it now that I purchased a canon 100mm f2.8 USM macro lens, well worth every cent.

Thanks guys! Will be looking tonight on eBay to start. Sadly cash is a limit. 1200 this year and maybe in 6-12 months I spend another 1200 on lens

I have also been looking into new camera, can anyone tell me the differance between the cannon EOS 550D and the EOS kiss X4 550D

That's true but the lenses are rubbish. Anyone seriously interested in photography will discard these lenses within 6 months. It's like everything else, you get what you pay for.

I agree...but he said he only had about $1200 to spend..the 100mm F2.8L would cost him that alone.
At least the kit will get them out there taking some photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back