Who does UV testing?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jact38

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I need to get a couple of tubes A/B'd for what they are outputting. Does anyone know where I can get this done? I dont want a meter, I want a report. Im sure there must be someone but my googling is failing me.

Thanks

Andrew

NATA, They are the official testing authority, government run. They test everything from new imports to accuracy of metering equipment. Another idea is your local University.

If your are near a university you might ask their departments of chemistry and physics. They'll have scanning radiometers that can scan the intensity of UVA and UVB irradiation in their instrumentation inventory and you might be able to get your lamps tested and a report produced for a modest fee.

NATA is also a good option, they should be able to direct you to someone who is equipped to do this kind of testing.

CHOICE magazine is another possible option. Especially if there is a consumer or animal safety issue involved.

The above would be the best bets if you want expert professional reports.

Another option is to hire a scanning UV radiometer / integrating doseometer from a company like TechRentals test them yourself using one of their hired scanners (IL1400). This would probably be the quickest option and probably not all that expensive.

Last edited:
UVB meters are relatively inexpensive and easy to use. I would recommend any agamid keepers obtain one.
I've hundreds of UV tubes in the last couple of years and did quite a bit of testing in that time. In general, zoomed tubes produce the highest amount of UV. Exoterra and NEC blacklights are a little behind. In recent testing, zoomed 10.0 produces approximately double that of zoomed 5.0, which in turn produces about double as much as an NEC blacklight.

My recommendation is if you are going to use tubes, go a 10.0 and don't bother with 2.0 or 5.0 tubes. Even then, always makes sure your dragon can bask within 30cm or so of the tube.

Last edited:
2.0 is only UVA, so that's not sufficient for Agamids (desert, semi-desert animals) anyway. You can use it next to your 10.0 bulb, as reptiles see UVA light and is supposed to be beneficial for them (better feeding, more natural behavior,...)
5.0 is sufficient only for "jungle/rainforest" animals that don't need high UVB rad.
10.0 is meant for desert and semi-desert animals that need high amounts of UVB rad., this is the category where you will find most if not all Agamids.
So like Macca said, don't even bother buying 2.0, 5.0 UVB tubes, b/c 10.0 is what your beardie needs.
ReptiSUN 10.0 tube is THE BEST bulb for agamids, besides some MVB if you have a really big terrarium (I don't recommend coil/compact bulbs, they are not good enough for beardies).
;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back