Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dihsmaj

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Are there any spots to go herping in outer Melb? If not where's the BEST herping spot in Vic?

Yeah, the Yarra's pretty good. I've been herping there without even intending to - on a short walk during summer we came across dozens of skinks. I think I remember from Waruikazi's Herping Guide that near water is always good for spotting reptiles, so it certainly doesn't have to be the Yarra - just a creek would do.

Westerfolds Park in Templestowe area. Lots of snakes and lizards etc 'in season'.

My favourite spots are around the south western districts (near where I live).
I often go to Tower Hill State Game Reserve, Mt Eccles Nat Park, Floating Islands Nature Reserve, Mt Richmond Nat Park, Bats Ridges Nature Reserve and about anywhere in between!

Westerfolds Park in Templestowe area. Lots of snakes and lizards etc 'in season'.

That's a great park. I've never seen a snake there, but then again I wasn't looking for them at the time. I have seen big Eastern Grey kangaroos there several times. I was on my bicycle once when one hopped crossed the path only a few metres in front of me. That was cool.

yea apparantly theres snakes in victoria,and the best place to look is on the ground :D

Mt Baw Baw, Bennison, Dargo or Bogong High Plains. Only reptile endemic to Vic found in these locales. All other reptile have no need for victoria to exist.

a lil bit off topic but not really... do people meet up to go herping? if so lwt me know im reallly keen.

Yeah people do it just really depends on what your interest is actually in in regards to speices and of course where you live and how far you wNt to travel to go herping

Ah yes, a lovely little Skink.
Well lucky for it Victoria DOES exist!

Hahahahaha true and besides a bunch of other things are more common there so I will have to go down to Victoria eventually. Not to mention some cool frog like Philoria frosti and Pseudophryne semimarmorata.

Hahahahaha true and besides a bunch of other things are more common there so I will have to go down to Victoria eventually. Not to mention some cool frog like Philoria frosti and Pseudophryne semimarmorata.

The very first frog (or Toadlet!) I kept was a P. Semimarmorata which I found at Labertouche. Beautiful little things.
Now that's another great area to go herping in... right through the Bunyip State Forest to Gembrook etc.

good luck finding frosti these days

same here, im pretty keen on going herping, but i havent seen many reptiles in melbourne, apart from garden skinks. but then again i havent really gone out. im pretty new to herping, so where do you guys look for reptiles? do you just look under rocks and under shrubs? and do you reckon there would be many to find during this cold weather we have? cheers guys

same here, im pretty keen on going herping, but i havent seen many reptiles in melbourne, apart from garden skinks. but then again i havent really gone out. im pretty new to herping, so where do you guys look for reptiles? do you just look under rocks and under shrubs? and do you reckon there would be many to find during this cold weather we have? cheers guys

i live in cranbourne on a big preperty.... there are alot of places to find skinks,frogs and snakes..... i most likely hav tigers and coppers and even possibly white lipped or small eyes here.
we see snakes alot in summer and we arnt even looking for them.
i suspect there a few wicked places here to find the lil fellas. but i need some one to help me move the tin and corrugated iron. i cant move the stuff on my own as its got over grown grass etc.

so i was thinking if any one wants to come over and go looking around the property ..would be awesome/ we have a few different types of frogs ..i do not know species.

good luck finding frosti these days
I know what you mean. There are some sites and as far as I am aware .P.frosti are not particularly protected. Not as in whether they are endangered or anything just that for a similarly rare animal as the Corroboree frog there is no where near as much conservation effort into protecting their sites and monitoring numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back