48 hours to stop uganda's gay death penalty

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
some piece of paper which gives you legal power of attorney to your partner and their estate? oh right, that means nothing at all, silly me.
(not to mention several other legal rights not currently given to gay couples)
but it's all ok right? you of all people should know and understand these things.

you may not want or need such, but others do, and they should have those equal rights.

No Recharge, I never said we shouldn't have the equivilent of marriage, or the rights it intales. I just said I don't believe in gay marriage, never have never will. Marriage by definition and by christian religion of which I am is between a man and a woman. Not two men.

Think what you want, that's my opinion and I'm gay. Stick with civil unions or whatever you want to call them but marriage is between a man and a woman.. Simple definition.

the Christians didn't invented marriage, laws change over time as society evolves.
the definition of marriage it's self has changed since the Christians (and the Australian laws) founded their versions of it.
there is no logical nor rational reason why marriage as a definition or construct should stay the same.
Civil unions still don't hold the same legal strengths nor depths as legal marriage, nor are they even fully legally recognised in some states, so things still have a way to go.

just because you may not want equality (yet), many do and they should have it, it's quite frankly disgraceful that there is still such a gulf in rights allocations simply based on sexuality of couples.

I'm sure you'd be totally horrified if your life partner was in hospital and you had no legal recourse to even see them, or make any decisions on their behalf, and then there's the matter of their estate and end of life wishes, only a couple of states will allow you to adopt (with a much harder time of it I might add), no there's still along way to go and you're severely limited simply due to an (archaic) definition and lack of equality based simply on your sexuality.

you might disagree with the word it's self, but a rose is a rose by any other word, except in Australian law.

Here's a little update on the cause.

In 24 hours, the Ugandan Parliament may vote on a brutal new law that carries the death penalty for homosexuality. Thousands of Ugandans could face execution -- just for being gay.

We've helped stop this bill before, and we can do it again. After a massive global outcry last year, Ugandan President Museveni blocked the bill's progress. But political unrest is mounting in Uganda, and religious extremists in Parliament are hoping confusion and violence in the streets will distract the international community from a second push to pass this hate-filled law. We can show them that the world is still watching. If we block the vote for one more day until Parliament closes, the bill will expire forever.

since you alerted us to this matter, i have researched via a lot of media. i have concluded two things : well before the 'petition', the death penalty was removed from the bill, and it was always the case that it was not likely to be passed before parliament closed. there never was a death penalty proposed just for being gay. ever.

subsequently, both conclusions i made, proved correct. i am astounded that the petition request contains "If we block the vote for one more day until Parliament closes" insinuating that this petition was being tabled in the parliament of uganda.

is the cause really about, for want of a better word, homophobia, rather than the death penalty for the crime of homosexuality? the 'crime' of homosexuality was proposed to carry a prison sentence, not the death penalty as purported.

my view is that if someone pleads their case to entice me to support their cause, they should be honest, not dramatise the possibilities. i am sure that a lot of folk now believe that they have helped stop the execution of gays in uganda, which by all reputable accounts, was never going to happen.

Last edited:
since you alerted us to this matter, i have researched via a lot of media. i have concluded two things : well before the 'petition', the death penalty was removed from the bill, and it was always the case that it was not likely to be passed before parliament closed. there never was a death penalty proposed just for being gay. ever.

subsequently, both conclusions i made, proved correct. i am astounded that the petition request contains "If we block the vote for one more day until Parliament closes" insinuating that this petition was being tabled in the parliament of uganda.

is the cause really about, for want of a better word, homophobia, rather than the death penalty for the crime of homosexuality? the 'crime' of homosexuality was proposed to carry a prison sentence, not the death penalty as purported.

my view is that if someone pleads their case to entice me to support their cause, they should be honest, not dramatise the possibilities. i am sure that a lot of folk now believe that they have helped stop the execution of gays in uganda, which by all reputable accounts, was never going to happen.

Whether Ugandan politicians are proposing a law that allows for people who are not heterosexual to be exectuted or a law that says all gay people in Uganda must wear a purple tunic really isn't the point. This is about discrimination, discrimination is not ok in any form.

You are right, the clause allowing for execution was removed. But from what i can see it was not removed 'long before the petition' infact from what i can read it was removed during the petitioni. Either way, don't see that as the point. The bill is/was calling for gay people to be thrown into jail for a long time. I can't do much about what Uganda does, but i did what i could. Which honestly wasn't that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back