Carnivorous plants

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Albanys , Neps, traps and friends :)

hoping to pick up few new ones today :) waiting on the call :) whoooooo

got the new ones home safe and sound :)

Hey Everyone :D

Few Shots of some of the new members of the family :lol:
I think I need sum help ..Im hooked ! hahaha

In love with the Albany Pitcher..the shot is of the newest one i bought

Is there anyone in Adelaide that keeps ? Would love to have a chat and find out some growing tips and tricks for adelaide growing ;)

Hope you enjoy the pics..They are all Iphone Snaps so not the best :)
Cheers !!
Zeke :D

Attachments

• IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Hey Zeke
Nice plants :D soooo jealous of your albany!!! Where did you get it from?
Love the little combo pot.

cheers
Ange

Wish I could grow albany's well up here. I guess that's the price I have to pay for getting to grow the tropicals, lol. And that little combo pot is great. I've done the same with some of my neps, couple of neps and some sundew in the one hanging basket, they don't mind at all.

Hi Zeke,
You have some great looking plants, the Albany pitcher plant is one I'm keen to get but havnt found one for the right price yet....
What type of Sarracenia are they? One looks like umlauftiana?
That maxima should grow well down there. I think Fish head from the fly trap forum lives down your way.....
The Drosera eventually start popping up like weeds, I have several species growing throughout all my nep and sarra pots.

I am an absolute newbie to carnivorous plants, but I've always liked them and I just got given a free Sarracenia Leucophylla today :D its a beautiful plant, a bit over 30cm tall. I had gone to the place I had got a pitcher from previously and asked for advice and told her that my other one hadn't lasted long, and asked why it may have died, and she gave me this one for free!
Sorry, I dont know is a S. leucophylla is a species that anyone finds cool.
I think I've just found a new hobby :) unfortunately all the local nurseries just sell trumpet pitchers, usually half dead and tiny.

Last edited:
I love these plants but cant seem to keep them alive. I have one that is struggling at the moment, grrrh!

I used to struggle, its because I was using tap water. It has chlorine and stuff in it that kills the plants, I now have my new one in rainwater, since we have a rainwater tank. If yours is in tap water, thats probably why its dying.

Does anyone know a carnivorous plant forum I can join?

Just bought a nepenthes today, not sure on the sp. but some say either a maxima or a miranda. Heres a pic of it, and a pic of my other one.
IMG_2549.jpg
IMG_2547.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everyone cheers for the kind words!! :)
Bought a new couple of plants yesterday .. When u guys see
Them and how cheap I got them you will be
Spewing :) I'm so happy with the score !:)
Snakesluver nice plants.. The nep is off the hook !! Where did
U score that beauty from ? How much??
Adelaide anyone?
How cold do u guys let your Neps and traps
Get Down to in winter over dormant time??
Love to c more pics of anything.. :D
Thinking bout joinin flytrapcare.com.. Guys on there
Where at the plant show in Adelaide where I got the
Combo pot for a Score for $25 And the big
Gothica nep for $35 from! Got loads of paper
Work and he was telling me to join.

Cheers
Zeke :)

Snakesluver nice plants.. The nep is off the hook !! Where did
U score that beauty from ? How much??

lol good to hear its not only me who thinks its awesome :) I got it at my local garden centre for just $16 they had some stunning neps but I could only afford one. I was having trouble deciding between a dark red one and this one, but the dark one looked a bit sad and it was tilting to one side... it was a hard choice :)
Unfortunately they didnt have species tags, they were all labeled as Nepenthes sp., the guy told me the species of mine but I forgot.

The guy there said that sarracenia pitchers, VFT's and sundews die in winter, so they only had neps for sale. Is what he said true? Theres a lady at eumundi markets selling some awesome looking VFT's and I want some (she's the one who gave me the free sarracenia)

Last edited:
Traps will die off.. Not all of them thou.. with Sarras sumtimes but they will take low temps with frost and will b fine but sum die off for next seasons growth.. few VFT traps will last but deff most of them will die now ready for new growth august down here...
So so so hard to find any down here..
In the photo I put up off the nep there is only the biggest trap left..
One started dying for winter dormant time and other I dressed for next growth!
Bought a stack of little babys Neps from bunnings under 7cm.. There for trials
All the traps Dyin for winter so got each plant for
3 bucks.. Trimmed up for winter and gave good amount of rainwater
And they are flying along.. Looking much more healthy!
I have only just start keeping carnivorous plants and 120% hooked !!
I love them! Wish I can find more new ones In adel ! Have sum seeds dr no wen to plant them

Last edited:
I'm gunna buy a VFT this weekend and see how it goes. Just spent most of my money buying a pede so no more plants for a few weeks :p I'm hooked on neps!

Last edited:
I got a stunning VFT today, its got a vivid red "mouth"
Uploaders taking too long sorry. Pretty pissed off cos a cricket jumped all over it outside, setting off about 3 traps. I caught it and chucked it in my pitcher plant as revenge :p

sounds like some nice plants guys!
snakeluvver - I think that is a Miranda that you got - nice plant

Mine are slowing down their pitcher production now because it is getting cooler lol. Nowhere near as cool as down south :p

Very nice, do you know what cultivar it is? Is it akai ryu?
I got a nice VFT a few weeks ago with variegated traps called "blotches" but all of mine are now in winter dormancy.

They had the same label for all the VFT's, I'll have to ask them. I think they'll be shocked if I ask, I asked what species of pitcher was hanging up and they simply said "Climbing Pitcher" :rolleyes: They just assume I'm a dumb little kid, hey ;)
Haha just realised thats the first time I used the rolleyes emote for a long time, I guess thats a good thing ;)

Picked this nice ventricosa up at the Queensland Garden expo yesterday for $8. They had some amazing mature Nepenthes for sale but they were a bit costly. I was dissapointed that there was only one Carnivorous Plant stand at the expo. Was hoping to find some Albany Pitchers and the low, compact species of sundew but this little plant was good enough ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2806.jpg
    IMG_2806.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 126
  1. Mine are still pumping along, not putting out as many pitchers in the cooler weather but growing well and still putting out a few.....also....I can't see any of the buttons in the 'reply to thread' window, they are all blank, hence why there is a numbered list here when there shouldn't be....hmmm....

Attachments

• P1030901.JPG
    P1030901.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 140
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back