Obsession with keeping exotics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're not allowed exotic invertebrates or reptiles, so why are we allowed to keep exotic fish and birds? Surely a macaw on the loose would be catastrophic.

ohh and dont forget the plants ecspecialy the ones that have already became plague numbers yet still get imported to Australia LEGALY

Last edited:
*sigh* This seems to be a topic that will be never ending and
Always cause arguments and rifts between the herp world. I myself cannot fathom owning a exotic and i would prefer any Australian animal. But there are Australian animals already overseas that I would appreciate such as an albino Nephrurus Pilb. I know of a few people that legally own exotics. But have owned them before laws became so strict. There are specific rules and regulations regard these situations. Animals have to be houses individually and never paired off. No breeding is aloud. Security has to be at maximum. Any movement of the animal has to be done with the permission and supervised by the department. The animal cannot be sold, given away, displayed and other such rules. I'm am in no way an expert on these
Rules, so please do not quote nor take this as the be all end all of owning exotics.

Cheers Barf

i blame the cane toads! if it wasn't for them and the problems they have caused then i am sure the restrictions for exotic reps would be lower! release an exotic venomous fish or bird into the wildlife that takes over habbitat from native species and proves to be extremely difficult to eradicate and the same regulations would soon apply to birds and fish too!

hrafna.......The sheer numbers of feral birds and fishes around australia, damaging the environment and taking over habitat is astronomical.

Koi carp, trout, gambusia, teliqua etc, etc. Birds....Indian mynahs, pidgeons, doves, the list just goes on.

Last edited:
We don't need more crap clogging up out already fragile eco system. A gravid Burmese getting out would be disastrous for the local wildlife, and guaranteed some moron would let one loose (either on purpose or accidentally.) If people want to breed mongrels, then by all means, move to the US, but Australian natives shouldn't have to compete with imports as well as us.

Funny , cause I feel that in this day and age , No Snake should be able to escape ! I mean really ! They make escape proof enclosures so why are peoples snakes still escaping?? And if they do escape I believe you should be fined heavily etc.

hrafna.......The sheer numbers of feral birds and fishes around australia, damaging the environment and taking over habitat is astronomical.

Koi carp, trout, gambusia, teliqua etc, etc. Birds....Indian mynahs, pidgeons, doves, the list just goes on.
i realize that, but how widely known is this? how many of the general public know this? if you took the koi for example, made it poisonous and it had the ability to invade anywhere (not just waterways) it would be widely known for the pest it is! if an indian mynah was deadly to cats and people then more people would be up in arms about them.

That may be a great film project for a budding young documentary maker. Hmmmmmm!!!:);)

Every time I come up with something like this, my mind expands and expands the idea. Soooo annoying. Maybe get a bunch of aussie and international doco makers to do individual episodes for a series.

How much does a producer make?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back