Can anyone identify this please?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeannine

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
came across this lizard months ago, printed out the photo and took it to our local National Parks people and they 'thought' it might have been a lace monitor? though have never seen one themselves so close to town, felt very lucky to have come across it while out and about

rats, sorry about the size and the full version is on another CD somewhere

4781_1124153757796_1645686743_32172.jpg

looks most like a Sand Monitor, Varanus gouldii

thanks for the quick answers

eipper that name does sound familiar and i think that may have been what they said, found it looking for photo's of something else

99% certain it is a Gould’s Monitor (Varanus gouldii). It is has a similar appearance to specimens from coastal NSW into southern Qld.

It is a good idea to provide a location when asking for an ID. In this particular case it wouldn’t necessarily be much help as the Gould’s Monitor is one of the most widespread of all Australia’s reptiles.

Blue

sorry i thought my location would show up, i am from Broken Hill and that lizard was found out near our tip and yes i know the size is small however the original one is on a CD somewhere and with dozens of CD's for back up i am unsure which one it is on

These are really common around Kinchega Nat Pk, Jeannine, and can range in colour from quiet dark to really yellow (almost like Flavis). Was this taken anywhere near there?

Lacies can be found along the river there, also!

I found a Sand Goanna at a national park just outside broken hill when I was there in xmas 2009.
They're definitely in the area.

jewyy i would but i have no idea which CD its burnt onto and that was the only one in PB, i realise it is hard to see properly but i think those saying sand monitor might be right

no where near the parks, it was found near our tip which is a few minutes out of town near the Syd - Perth rail line

I myself own a sand goanna, and that picture sure looks like him! i think its a safe bet that picture you got there is of one =)

Given the locality you can make 100% certain it is Varanus gouldii.

Blue

thank you all

we were told we were lucky to see it as most in the office havent seen any the whole time they have been here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back