Quick Q? on Wild Carpet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamkiller

Reaction score
Saved possibly the least good looking (no snake is ugly) carpet in the world from a certain meeting with a shovel yesterday, but it is a bit on the skinny side. Just wondering whether it is a good idea to try giving it a feed of thawed rat before releasing it again?

Wild snakes are always skinnier than our captives. They don't get fed every Monday night like ours :p. I'd say it's not a good idea but not a wildlife carer so don't know the rules about it

I wouldn't if it is fine to release, the temps are dropping and may not even want a feed!

I don't see no harm in trying. It will accept or it won't
I feed all browns that I relocate, on the assumption that it is one less thing for them to worry about when placed in a new area.

I'm also assuming that temps are quite warm where you are.

If there's no obvious harm to the animals that is directly caused by humans, then release it without interfering.

Temps are starting to cool off. Thats y a little hesitant. Getting down to 12 - 15 outside at night and mid 20's day time. Is a little sluggish (from cool nights I imagine) but is surprisingly calm. And no . . . there is no obvious signs of any harm at all

Second one to come from exactly same area. very different colouring compared to first a couple months ago. First one found a nice tasty duckling.IMG_0313.jpgP5170977.jpg

Last edited:
The second one doesn't look too skinny to me.

Where in SE Qld do you live? Temps in Ipswich are getting way below ten at night :(

Thought that when i took photo after posting Q whether to feed it or not. Dont think I will bother. Am over Logan way so temps not quite as cold as out there at Ipswich just yet.

hay if your happy if it doesnt take it then id say offer it , Why not ? youve got the perfect opportunity to send him back out with a full belly if he wants it so yah I would say offer him , if he is hungry hell be a very happy chappy :)

what is the second one , I think he's lovely looking !

Most wild snakes are skinnier then captive snakes,unless they come across a good food source.Remember they havent got a constant supply of rodents every week.Torah they are both coastal carpets which vary quiet alot.As long as theres no obvious signs of illness etc just release in nearest bushland..

Thought that when i took photo after posting Q whether to feed it or not. Dont think I will bother. Am over Logan way so temps not quite as cold as out there at Ipswich just yet.

definitely cold enough here (logan) for them to be off their food. if it is the snake in the second pic looks fine. find a nice bit of bush near where you found it and let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back