Killing cats and stuff

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darlyn

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Relax everyone the post is called that to attract more viewers. So the people who hate cats can go “Yippee! I’ll check that out” and the cat lovers can be mortified and check it out.
I see on this forum that when cats are discussed there are people from both sides of the fence. I wonder at the guys who steadfastly protect the cats, when they know they decimate our wildlife indiscriminately. I understand that killing any animal is not something most of us would condone but are cats special that they get lined up for killing more than other domesticated animals? Are cats the “snake” of the domestic pet market that people like to hate them? Are they more hated than dogs because dogs don’t kill as randomly as cats? There is the mob that just hate all animal deaths, who presumably feed their snakes rats that have been killed for the purpose of feeding their hobby. Are rats less important in the animal kingdom than cats? I just find it interesting that when cats are mentioned it gets very emotional so was wondering what you guys think.

I immediately thought "what is this scallywag up to" PMSL....
I feel you bring up some very valid points and questions....
In my opinion, I feel no animal is more OR less worthy than the other(including humans)
I detest deliberate cruelty in any form....... I feel cats are more prone to be left to their own
devices by owners than dogs. Thus they use their hunting instincts to survive, dogs seem
more reliant on their human owners but can and do go "wild" if lost in the bush and kill where
ever possible. I think this will be an interesting thread to read the input of the other members

Cats aren't the problem; humans are the problem. People who get cats, knowing they can climb sheer fences, and are either uninformed or uncaring that they can kill upwards of 50 native animals per night's hunt. Cats aren't evil, they're just doing their job, one we bred them for - to whit, hunting things smaller than they are. I have four cats, and they are all indoor/cat run cats only, because I love our native wildlife and hold it sacrosanct. Dogs are almost as destructive, we just don't see it as much because generally they hunt in packs, and escape or roam less because they're not as agile. In my opinion hating cats is just bloody-minded stupidity, blaming the symptom rather than the problem - the problem being humans who buy pets and then don't take any sort of responsibility for them. Feral cats should be humanely culled (or re-homed responsibly if possible), but hating all cats just because some of them are owned by idiots is just as idiotic. The situation gets difficult when the humans who own them are informed of the problem and won't do anything about it, because it's then the animal that ends up wearing the responsibility, and often being destroyed as a result.:(

I wouldn't own a cat personally, but in saying that I don't have a problem with cats that are keep responsible.
The biggest differance between dogs and cat is that I have never shot a dog climbing a tree to get it prey or pleasure item.

Feral cats should be humanely culled (or re-homed responsibly if possible), but hating all cats just because some of them are owned by idiots is just as idiotic. .:(

I'm pretty sure you can't re-home a feral cat, "feral" being the operative word.

Makes me wonder if people in cities actually know what a feral cat is?

I hate cats, but I wouldn't harm one. The people on this site that hate cats advocate torturing them, it's just wrong. Rats are bred for food, and killed humanely. Drowning something, ripping its nails out, or shoving a cracker up it's bum is not humane.

The difference between Cats and Dogs;

You come home, after a hard days work and go to sit in your favorite lounge chair and your dog is in it, you say "Get out of my chair" and the dog jumps up out of your chair and sits in front of you and says "Yes sir, of course sir, can I get your slippers for you sir?".
The next day the same thing but your cat is in your chair, "Get out of my chair!", the cat slowly looks up and says "Who's chair?".

Whereas this is funny, it is a perfect example of different animals reacting in different ways to domestication.

Naga_Kanya spot on!
I used to hate "cats" and to be honest, still do just a little. But as you said, it does come back to stupid owners.
I have a neighbour with a very defencive dog that has ended more cats lives than i can count on my 2 hands (within its yard). And as bad as i feel for the owners of the pets, and for the cats themselves, I think it is fine for the dog to act in such a way. i know that if a cat ever got into my yard and threatened my lizards or my chickens, id want my dog to be onto it straight away.

Heres something to think about....
Do people register their cats as religiously as people with dogs do?
Should people with cats have to follow the same rules? keep cat within property boundaries unless out walking on a leash?
And when you see a cat running around your street, have you ever called animal management to come and take it to the pound?

Naga_Kanya spot on!
I used to hate "cats" and to be honest, still do just a little. But as you said, it does come back to stupid owners.
I have a neighbour with a very defencive dog that has ended more cats lives than i can count on my 2 hands (within its yard). And as bad as i feel for the owners of the pets, and for the cats themselves, I think it is fine for the dog to act in such a way. i know that if a cat ever got into my yard and threatened my lizards or my chickens, id want my dog to be onto it straight away.

Heres something to think about....
Do people register their cats as religiously as people with dogs do?
Should people with cats have to follow the same rules? keep cat within property boundaries unless out walking on a leash?
And when you see a cat running around your street, have you ever called animal management to come and take it to the pound?

What about if a snake got into your yard and killed lizards/chickens?

Not that I care if a dog kills a cat, but I don't see how a dog killing a snake that ventures into its yard is as bad as everyone here makes out. It's unfortunate, that's all.

if a snake got into my yard i think my dog would pass out ahha. He freaks out when he see's my blue tongues.
Thinking about it, i wouldnt feel anywhere near as bad about an australian native snake in my yard picking off my chickens over a cat. Atleast in my head i can tell myself the snake is allowed to be there, if a cat took any, i would be door knocking untill i found the bugger.
good point though.

I used to hate cats, till we got one. They've really help my home life as my mom has something to mother now. Which leads to many interesting conversation between her and the cats.

We keep our inside during the night mostly because mom will think they will get lost or get too cold and that I'm real annoying about it.

I have two cats that act like dogs. They follow me around everywhere I go sleep with me meow when I leave greet me when I come home and play fetch. Cats are awesome.
P.S. they have never gone outside.

When I was complaining about people wanting to kill cats on the other thread, I wasn't talking about feral cats I was talking about peoples pets. As stated it is not the cats fault they have irresponsible owners and some people seem to take delight in the idea of killing any cat. Why don't we start killing humans for decimating the native fauna, we may as well all off ourselves if that's the case as anyone that lives in a house, drives a car, catches a bus or train, buys things from supermarkets and other shops etc is contributing to much higher decimation of wildlife and habitat than any other species on the planet but humans don't want to hear that. We like to take the moral high ground and blame something else. All feral animals were introduced to the country by humans it is therefore indirectly yet another way we as a species decimate the wildlife of the planet we live on. I dont have a problem with the humane killing of feral species but really, we are the biggest feral species.

Personally if i saw a cat in my yard its fair game. I put my snakes out to sunbake and its always native animals first weather there mine or wild. Im not here to jusge what other people do but we have rules for our pets that are strict, why cant the same rules apply to other "pets"

When I was complaining about people wanting to kill cats on the other thread, I wasn't talking about feral cats I was talking about peoples pets. As stated it is not the cats fault they have irresponsible owners and some people seem to take delight in the idea of killing any cat. Why don't we start killing humans for decimating the native fauna, we may as well all off ourselves if that's the case as anyone that lives in a house, drives a car, catches a bus or train, buys things from supermarkets and other shops etc is contributing to much higher decimation of wildlife and habitat than any other species on the planet but humans don't want to hear that. We like to take the moral high ground and blame something else. All feral animals were introduced to the country by humans it is therefore indirectly yet another way we as a species decimate the wildlife of the planet we live on. I dont have a problem with the humane killing of feral species but really, we are the biggest feral species.

I work with Gold coast wildlife and natural areas everyday of the week, and ill tell you what mate. I dream at night about going back to certain properties to put my message accross that humans are animals too. I'm sure this is gonna come back and bite me one day as evidence ahha. E.g was out on a certain hill on the gold coast yesterday, doing some pre bushfire fuel monitoring. walked down through parklands to the bush behind some rather expensive houses. noticed probably 30 dump truck loads of tree waste covering the area approx 40meters from fenceline to downhill over 12 houses. first thing i thought, illegal dumping of rubish into parklands, grabbed my phone, started to dial the number for local law, whilst i was waving the phone above my head looking for reception, i notice something quite disturbing. every second tree in the area has its head cut off. Big trees, spotted gums that u cant put your arms around, grey gums of about 200 years old, EVERYTHING that was of any significance was be-headed. stood there with steam coming out of my ears, trying to make sense of it. They have come into natural area and cut 15meters from the base of every tree, so they could have a better view of the town below and ocean! They have ruined hundreds of years of growth just for a better view!!! and killed everything on the ground and everything that where living in it!
Some people need a good old fashion scare. whats the bet that they think nothing of it all.

Makes me wonder if people in cities actually know what a feral cat is?

Sometimes I think the same thing. A feral cat isnt a cat thats run away from home, thats a stray cat. Feral cats are the offspring of stray cats that have bred in the wild.

3 simple words:
Responsible Pet Ownership

If you cannot keep your pet within the confines of your property then you don't deserve it, pet ownership should not be seen as a right, but a privilege and as such, we need to take responsibility for them.

We have a cat, she is 18 yrs old & has always been an indoor only cat, love her to bits but hate irresponsible cat owners, same with dogs they are just as much of a problem out here. People need to be educated to become responsible & the message is slowly getting across, cat runs are becoming more popular, yrs ago they not heard of.
All the stray & feral animals that come thru our place, both cats & dogs, is either taken to the pound or the vet which is 120km away. Some have been rehomed while other are euthed. Being a wildlife carer I have seen the damage that feral animals can do but we are to blame so we need to fix it, if the animal needs killing, do it humanly. No excuse for cruelty to any animal.

Carnelian, I agree 100%, if you truly love your animals then you care for them, whether a cat dog or any other animal. We have been doing demonstrations around Victoria, and parts of Queensland teaching a very simple message, if you own a pet, you need to look after it at your property, not letting it wander around, a pet cannot get run over if it is where it belongs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back