Is my Diamond still digesting or could there be something wrong

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmy-Morelia

Reaction score
hi guys im really concerned over my 3yr old diamond he was feed on saturday and his stomach is still quite large he was fed a large adult rat he hasnt had problems in the past with digesting food so why is this feed taking this long to digest he has deficated yesturday even then it didnt look or smell right.maybe over feeding lost track of when he was last fed
does he need vet treatment or am i worring over nothing?HELP:(:(:(:(

Probably worrying over nothing, sat isnt that long ago and probably taking longer due to the temp drops...My diamonds are off there food due to the low night time temps...
What are your enclosure and room temps...day and night?
Most likely its just a bit cold and taking longer to digest...i dont feed much over winter and if i do its only small items so that they are digested faster..

enclosure temp day time is 27 night is 21 room temp around 18 but thats a guess

I agree with Bez, in the wild they have pretty much stopped feeding and are curling up somewhere nice and warm like in the eaves of houses and I think north facing ridges. Maybe try to heat it up a bit to let it digest perhaps.

I would be checking the temperatures of your enclosure and raising it up, even just for a short period while he digests his food. The swelling sounds like gases in the dead rat which is normal but often you won't see it when they are digesting them well. Digestion will slow down when temperatures drop which isn't great for your snake as this gives his food a chance to decay before it is properly digested. Placing a hidebox over or next to the heat source often helps them and small hide boxes that they can coil up tightly into also helps them to retain heat.

Feeding on extreme hot days will have similar effects as feeding them when its too cold. I lost my pair of classic bredli's from food poisoning due to feeding them on too hot a days. Again, the rat rotted faster than the snake's digestive system could work and killed them :( I was devestated. It was a hard lesson to learn but I know to be careful and pick the days over summer, and checking temps over winter.

A 3 year old diamond, should be cooling now

Some will still eat regardless,especially if they have the heat to digest.While others wont go near food for a few months.I would be raising the temperature to 30c until its digested the meal..

:?
Some will still eat regardless,especially if they have the heat to digest.While others wont go near food for a few months.I would be raising the temperature to 30c until its digested the meal..

How does a cooling Diamond eat, when it is not being fed:?

enclosure temp day time is 27 night is 21 room temp around 18 but thats a guess

I didn't see your reply here python_boy73. These temperatures actually sound close to the ideal that a diamond python likes. Is his whole tank 27c or just one spot? Perhaps the cooler weather is not keeping the warm end warm enough. Try putting a hide box over or near the heat so he can curl up in a nice, concentrated warm spot while he is digesting his food, if thats what he wants to do of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back