Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepythia

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys/grrls

this is my first post so heres a quick intro.. name is amber, i'm 28 years old and i've just moved to the beautiful cairns. i've been fascinated with reptiles for awhile now but coming from NZ i haven't had any experience with them now i'm having the time of my life :D. i currently dont have any herps but ive been spending a lot of time herping and researching as much as i can. i would love to have reptiles one day but for now im quite satisfied, theres nothing better than seeing them in their natural habitat.

anyway i'm not too confident on identifying species so i'll give it a go and please correct me where i am wrong. here's some of the things i've seen and been quick enough to get pics of

GTS this guy was hanging out near the balcony one morning.
6..JPG 3..JPG 1..JPG

larger GTS
resize2.jpg

jungle carpet? found him/her in atherton.
p1.jpg p2.jpg p3.jpg

not too sure about this little guy, i initially thought it was a young RBB but he was pinkish underneath and very active late at night, possible small eyed? he was found atherton tablelands.
p4.jpg

coastal carpet python
2.jpg coast3.jpg 1.jpg

found this spotted python? and 3 brown tree snakes all within 2km stretch of road.
atherton tablelands.
up4.jpg up3.jpg up5.jpg
up2.jpg up1.jpg

RBB
compresize4.jpg DSCF4548.jpg

Scrubbie?
4.jpg sdas.jpg

gecko not sure on the species.
1.jpg

chameleon gecko? found on the atherton tablelands
2.jpg

dragons..
IMG_6299.jpg dragon1.jpg dragon2.jpg liz.jpg dragon4.jpg

boyds forest dragon
3.jpg

monitors.. have about 4 of 5 of them that hang around our house trying to steal the dog food.
99..jpg up7.jpg monitor1.jpg monitor2.jpg
frogs.
white lipped tree frog
frog1.jpg up6.jpg frog4.jpg
green tree frog
frog6.jpg frog3.jpg

please identify this for me? found in davies creek national park atherton tablelands.. he was in a very fast flowing creek under a over hanging rock and he was very shy took awhile to get just one photo.
frog5.jpg
i was hoping it was an armoured mist frog? but considering their status its doubtful?.

barred frog
frog2.jpg

skinks.
skink1.jpg skink2.jpg
biggest skinks i have ever seen
0.jpg 1.jpg

turtles
turt2.jpg

saltie
resize3.jpg

thanks to everyone on this site! spent many hours reading the forums, theres so much great info and a few good laughs too.

Awesome pics Amber. I love the wild Jungle. How many days/nights were these taken over?

welcome fellow kiwi. A few of us here. Some nice photos amongst that lot ,good part of the country for herps.... lucky.

Great variety of reps :) I think the Gecko your not sure of species is a Oedura some one else can confirm the full discription for you. Awesome opening post,,,Cheers

Awesome pics Amber. I love the wild Jungle. How many days/nights were these taken over?
thanks saximus, these were taken over summer from dec to march. theyre from 3 herping trips i did up here. the RBB and coastal were from brisbane area though back in dec.

welcome fellow kiwi. A few of us here. Some nice photos amongst that lot ,good part of the country for herps.... lucky.
thanks i figured there'd be a few of us :D

Great variety of reps :) I think the Gecko your not sure of species is a Oedura some one else can confirm the full discription for you. Awesome opening post,,,Cheers
thanks smithers i thought it was oedura robusta but thought id leave it to the experts.

Last edited:
Pics 2, 3 and 5 of the dragons are Eastern Water Dragons, pic 4 is an Eastern Bearded Dragon. The small eyed is probably a RBB, the belly colour can vary.

The second skink is an Eastern Water Skink, possibly the 4th also.

Last edited:
Pics 2, 3 and 5 of the dragons are Eastern Water Dragons, pic 4 is an Eastern Bearded Dragon. The small eyed is probably a RBB, the belly colour can vary.

The second skink is an Eastern Water Skink, possibly the 4th also.
thank you very much.

That's actually a northern tree snake not a green tree snake.
thanks, do you mean the smaller one or the larger one? or both, i thought i was wrong with the smaller one.

heey wow a kiwi not scared of snakes,looks like youve had some great success herping

im looking at heading up cairns soon

indeed the 1st common tree is infact a northern tree snake...
2nd looks like a common tree snake, have you got anymore pictures of it?
unknown snake appears to be a small eyed not a red belly
First skink is Carlia longipes

You have found some very nice animals, esp the chameleon gecko,

Hi, love your pics, looks like you have had a ball over the summer. Mind you North QLD is amazing for herping or any kind of wildlife spotting actually.

indeed the 1st common tree is infact a northern tree snake...
2nd looks like a common tree snake, have you got anymore pictures of it?
unknown snake appears to be a small eyed not a red belly
First skink is Carlia longipes

You have found some very nice animals, esp the chameleon gecko,

thanks, i was happy to find the cham gecko with his original tail. i have another photo, its a slightly closer shot

resize1c.jpg

Hi, love your pics, looks like you have had a ball over the summer. Mind you North QLD is amazing for herping or any kind of wildlife spotting actually.

thanks :) yeah NQ definitely is, spend alot of time wildlife spotting and camping, amazing place.

heey wow a kiwi not scared of snakes,looks like youve had some great success herping

im looking at heading up cairns soon

ha definitely not scared, to say i love snakes is probably an understatement. i came to cairns for a holiday two years back and saw a couple of snakes in the wild was hooked after that and ended up moving here.

Gorgeous shots; Cairns is a wonderful place, paradise for wildlife-lovers. I hope you'll keep posting photos!

Some great finds Amber! The unknown is definitely a Small-eyed, characterised by the head shape, greyish colour and there's no colour visible on the flanks. Smaller tree snake is a Northern. I've recently moved to NQ for study and can't wait to get up to the Tablelands and Cairns and see some wild Jungles and Scrubbies. Great photos!

Definately a small eyed snake
your gecko i would think is an oedura castelnaui, though it is a bit strange looking
your first dragon depending on where you are is likely to be D. australis
your frog is not lorica but litoria nannotis
Your large skink is Bellatorias frerei as is the one next to the longipes
your turtle looks like a krefts

your gecko i would think is an oedura castelnaui, though it is a bit strange looking

thank you for that. im sorry but i should have mentioned that the gecko was spotted in moogerah peaks national park west of brisbane. my camera didnt really do the colours any justice it was alot brighter purply blue. and thank you for the id on the frog i was hoping for an amoured mist frog but had my suspicions it was a waterfall frog happy with the find though.

Some great finds Amber! The unknown is definitely a Small-eyed, characterised by the head shape, greyish colour and there's no colour visible on the flanks. Smaller tree snake is a Northern. I've recently moved to NQ for study and can't wait to get up to the Tablelands and Cairns and see some wild Jungles and Scrubbies. Great photos!

im quite happy about it being a small eyed ive seen plenty of RBBS in the wild but never a small eyed. the tablelands are great! ive got a few spots that ive never failed to see snakes.

sorry picture doesnt work for me.

sorry im still new to using a forum i uploaded it on image shack and it doesnt seem to be working will suss it out and re post, thanks.

thank you for that. im sorry but i should have mentioned that the gecko was spotted in moogerah peaks national park west of brisbane. my camera didnt really do the colours any justice it was alot brighter purply blue. and thank you for the id on the frog i was hoping for an amoured mist frog but had my suspicions it was a waterfall frog happy with the find though.

im quite happy about it being a small eyed ive seen plenty of RBBS in the wild but never a small eyed. the tablelands are great! ive got a few spots that ive never failed to see snakes.

sorry picture doesnt work for me.

sorry im still new to using a forum i uploaded it on image shack and it doesnt seem to be working will suss it out and re post, thanks.

here's a closer view of the larger tree snake..
cts.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back