Just a heads up for newbies and probes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MChaz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

A couple of weeks ago I was contemplating buying a heatmat but thought (based on what I've read here) that the cons outweigh the pros so decided against it. My temperature at the hot end was struggling to get above about 24.5 and today while changing the water for my spotted I realized that it was really quite warm in there and checked the temperature... only at 24.8. So I moved the probe (it was, I admit, in an awkward spot), changed the water, was back in 5 minutes and the temperature was reading 31.2. where it should be. Um wow.

Don't flame me about 'oh well you shouldve had a timed thermo or dimming or whatever'. It was the probe, that my dad set up, that was in a bad spot. So newbies, re-adjust your probe when you think somethings fishy, before thinking about buying a heatmat/cord/turning the heat off. Lucky its not Summer.:|

edit; and I dont mean buying a heatmat/cord or whatever in the first place, I mean before considering this as extra heat source.

Last edited:
yer id have to agree in my coastals old tank i use to get so many crazy readings from different positions, i chucked a analog temp gauge right next to the probe and readings were still different, you definatly need to play alot to find a accurate temp

First and foremost, do not trust the temperature readings on a probe or thermostat setting. Get yourself a decent mercury thermometer for taking temperatures. Alcohol thermometers are cheaper but they are often several degrees out. If you can calibrate one against a mercury one, then it would be fine to use. Alternatively, a quality infra-red gun thermometer will do the trick.

You should be measuring the air temperatures just above the given surface.

The critical area to measure the temperature is in the middle of the enclosure. The temperature here should be equal to the preferred body temperature for that species. One side of that will be cooler, the other side warmer = your thermal gradient.

Place a hide at both ends and the snake can move between the two to thermoregulate as it would in nature.

Blue

Yeah I know I need to get a decent thermo but haven't got the funds at the moment.

The probe is in the middle of the enclosure now, just above the surface, but I do check the other ends of course. As soon as I realized how out of whack the initial temperature was I moved it around and everything is good now. I have 3 different hides; one on cool end, one in middle, one on hot and a rock that he basks on in the hot end (not a heated rock, just a normal rock).

Cheers for that Blue, def keep that in mind :)

A simple babies mercury filled thermometer is usually exactly on the mark
They have to be calibrated +- 0.4C to be sold as babies thermometers
They are cheap as chips and have no electrical or moving parts so cannot break down
They are the only therms we use now

Just watch the snake!
If the snake is always "on the heat" the tank is too cold.
If the snake is always trying to escape the heat , then the tank is too warm.
The animals should thermoregulate by moving between the hot and cold end.

Just watch the snake!
If the snake is always "on the heat" the tank is too cold.
If the snake is always trying to escape the heat , then the tank is too warm.
The animals should thermoregulate by moving between the hot and cold end.

that was so simple yet no-one else has put it that simply ! good advice and puts the mind at ease :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back