Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't understand why people house snakes together indefinitely. I find it pretty irresponsible...

If you can't afford to house them properly or don't have the space, it is not a reason to consider housing snakes together.

Sure there have been plenty of success stories, but there are also a lot of horror stories; and to risk something like that is wrong IMO...

There is always a risk even if they live in harmony for years, there could be one day that you come home to find 2 (or more) dead snakes.

I can't understand why people house snakes together indefinitely. I find it pretty irresponsible...

If you can't afford to house them properly or don't have the space, it is not a reason to consider housing snakes together.

Sure there have been plenty of success stories, but there are also a lot of horror stories; and to risk something like that is wrong IMO...

There is always a risk even if they live in harmony for years, there could be one day that you come home to find 2 (or more) dead snakes.
Perhaps some keepers consider it is best to have animals which are consistantly used to each other rather than introducing them for breeding and finding that they defencively attach the other animal.

Keeping the same species of the snake with similiar sizes are fine as long as they don't go too hungry (in a BHP and woma case). Stimpsons arn't know for eating other snakes as BHPs are. Putting 2 BHPs together is fine, my mate has his 2 womas together and they cant live apart (they seriously become agitated and nervous when they are apart).. its a personal risk imo and something Iv tried (2 diamonds) and has worked well for me.

Keeping snakes together comes down to the individual temperaments and ease of them becoming stimulated into a feeding response. If you have an individual who assumes it is being fed everytime something moves within the room, then its not a good idea to house that animal with others.

It also comes down to time of year, your not going to get a snake on food response during winter if its cycled properly.

Basically it can be done, but care needs to be taken before and after feeding and when moving around the room or near the enclosure. Also individuals need to be carefully selected......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back