Noobie with diamond python -help?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matty_e888

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm brand new to the forum and also new owner of my first python, a beautiful female diamond hatchling.
The reptile supplier which I got her from said she is approx 6 months old.
I bought her home and after about 4 days she started to go really shy .... not letting it worry me I left her for a few days and then started to notice her eyes getting the milky glaze. Upon searching this forum I quickly understood that she is just coming up for a shed.
This was over 2 weeks ago ... and her eyes are still so milky I cant see the pupil at all.
So im starting to stress a bit .... is 2 weeks too long for the milkiness to still be quite apparant?
All advice is hugely appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

don't be alarmed just yet, it can take 2 to 3 weeks for the whole process....if her whole appearance is dull in general and her eyes are milky i wouldn't be surprised to come out one morning soon and see a skin lying around the enclosure. if nothing has still happened in a week or so she may need a little help getting it off. is there anything in her enclosure she can rub against to get the actual shedding started?(a stick/branch or rock hide)

Thanks for the quick reply.
Yea she has heaps of branches,a hide rock and one of those water bowls shaped like a rock.
Her skin looks really wrinkly and has been that way for about a week now but i was just beginning to worry cause her eyes have been the same milkiness for nearly 2 and a half weeks.

you usually won't see them do much with any of the stuff in their enclosures....they do it all at night while we're sleeping:) don't fret, give her a couple more days and see how she goes. do a little research while you're waiting to put your mind at ease....you'll find out more about the sloughing process and what you can do if it does happen to be that she's having a little difficulty.

yeah mate dont worry my female diamond has been in shed for the last 3 weeks haha im waiting for her to shed! haha i check the her cage every morning and no shed yet :p

And just another thing... should I spray her with a fine mist? when i did it before she completely freaked out and wriggled straight up to her heat lamp.

Is this common for snakes to take 3 weeks to shed from the time their eyes go milky?!? It's the first I've heard of it taking that long?

With mine, they go milky for a day or two, then shed within 4 days of the eyes going clear again. Total timeless than a week.

Ive just had 3 of mine in shed , one took 2 days , one took 4 and the other still hasnt shed and were on day 7 now ... Theyre all different each time they shed .

ive found that they seam to take a bit longer to shed in the cooler winter months,
but its nothing to worry about.

Just letting you know she finally shed for the first time in my care last night.
Woke up and the skin was in one marvelous long length inc eye caps and all.
I was starting to get a bit worried but strangely enough her eyes were still as milky as ever before i went to sleep last night.
I guess its different from python to python!
Thanks for all the help though guys ........ at least i will now know what to look for next time!
Ill get some nice shots of her after work this arvo and make sure to post
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back