Birds!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaviruthless

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
So, we all love reptiles but how many of us keep birds as pets? I am just starting bird keeping - getting myself a hand-raised Indian Ringneck in the next week or two and I am very, very excited to finally get "him" home.

Please feel free to post pics (and stories) of your feathered kids!

We've got a little green quaker called Ollie, he's just over 1year old now and is very sweet and we have a crazy lorrie called Mr Bigglesworth, a bit younger. They both talk, though our lorrie is definitely crazier and noisier than our quaker. He loves his bath, is a total guts, he rolls around on the floor and throws his ball everywhere keeping himself and everyone else thoroughly amused! Have fun with your Indian Ringneck. They look like beautiful birds.

I keep a male Eclectus - 8 months old and has just started talking.

Awesome pets, but they do require a fair bit of work and commitment.

Never had a bird before. TBH I like owls. They are so cooool :)

I keep a few different birds, some species of cockatoo.. but here is a pic of my favorite girl;
IMG_0284.jpg

I have an IRN called Sookie, that's name has slowly evolved over the time we've had to her "Dookie Bird." She throws tantrums at bed time, and has started making a "But muuuuuuuuuuuuuuum" noise when we ask her to do something. Like all Asiatic species she's a handful, but so worth it. They learn tricks quickly (with the right incentive) and they do require a lot of attention and dedication on your part to keep them tame and happy. The only real problem we had was when I first bought her home, my partner let her escape and chased her around for six hours. Now she won't let him near me when I have her out.

sookie colour.jpg

I keep a male Eclectus - 8 months old and has just started talking.

How much did that cost if I may ask? there is one in the pet store near me which was 10 weeks old and it was $1500.

I used to breed Budgies when I lived at M&Ds.

My dad is really into birds,
We have about 5 pairs of finches (all different breeds) 4 lovebirds, 1 scaly breasted lorikeet, 1 kakariki, 2 quails, 4 cockatiels, 2 hand-raises Indian ring necks :)

One of the ringnecks was a very deep, bright blue colour, but the other week I woke up to get him out a carpet python had gotten in there and eaten him :(

Me and dad were so devoed lol..
We plan to get an electus parrot I think it is soon, and 2 king parrots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a bird crap on my car once, never went out with her again after that..............sorry had to crack that one.

Seriously though, i'd love a Tawny Frog-Mouth.

How much did that cost if I may ask? there is one in the pet store near me which was 10 weeks old and it was $1500.

I used to breed Budgies when I lived at M&Ds.

I definitely would not be buying an Eckie so young - if they are forced to wean early, they can develop permanent issues. I can tell you now, they're enough of a handful as it is, and an Eckie with problems would certainly not be a pleasant thing.

From memory, I paid around $1000 for mine, and from a great breeder that I would recommend. If you want the details, PM me. There are a lot of breeders around that are really average (and that's being nice) so be careful who you purchase off. Do a lot of research before purchasing, and learn what constitutes a good breeder - you'll save yourself a lot of heartache.

Awesome birds!

Crystal - what colour morph is she? My little guy/girl is a pastel lacewing... They are gorgeous birds, can't wait until he talks properly - I have him out at work (where I'm getting him from) and he sort of chirps/ mumbles to me. It's so cute. Lovely photo :)

i have two male eckies both are real chatterboxes as is my yellow crowned amazon who likes to sing and chat .

i definitely would not advise buying a unweaned parrot you can run into lots of problems and only go to a reputable breeder .

Attachments

• 2011-05-19 001 2011-05-19 002 (640x480).jpg
    2011-05-19 001 2011-05-19 002 (640x480).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 79
  • Archie 17 April 2011.jpg
    Archie 17 April 2011.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 73
Awesome birds!

Crystal - what colour morph is she? My little guy/girl is a pastel lacewing... They are gorgeous birds, can't wait until he talks properly - I have him out at work (where I'm getting him from) and he sort of chirps/ mumbles to me. It's so cute. Lovely photo :)

Don't actually know :lol: she was sold to me as a turquoise blue pastel lacewing, but the older she gets the more yellow she develops. I got her home almost a year ago and she was white/blue. Now though...

(she hates tissue boxes, and during the floods, we didn't have much to do... had a go at getting her used to them.)

Derp bird.JPG

If you talk to them enough, I've noticed, they start talking back; little chirps and mumbles that sounds like they're trying to talk but just can't seem to get it right, just like you described. It's so adorable. Mine's only started learning a few words and a few tricks, but she loves and craves the attention.

Attachments

• Ringie Sookuie.jpg
    Ringie Sookuie.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 79
  • ringies 012.JPG
    ringies 012.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I personally own 2 pairs of Cockatiels, 3 budgies, Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure and a cheeky Eastern Rosella. I've also owned Cockatoos finches Ring Necks and love birds but the Ring necks and cockatoo had to be moved to my Nan's place because we wanted to give them a bigger area and to be honest its a much nicer place then the city.

Every few months I get to go to my Nans farm where she keeps and breeds over 150 birds ranging from finches,budgies,cockatiels,princess parrots, love birds, grass parrots, a galah, Ring necks and a very talkative Rainbow Lorikeet.

(Just a few pics of some of my birds)

Zac.

Attachments

• Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 84
well i have a blue princess called cosmo!! he is really quiet a stupid bird but his cool! i am in a bird club but cant keep and besides him!! some of the people i know holy geeeeezzzz they have some awsome birds and a couple of them too haha!!

We have an indian ringneck with a bad attitude! It likes to bite very hard. the only person it likes is my 2 year old. She can walk around with it on her shoulder and play with her. We used to have a green cheek conure. He was the best bird I have ever had. Id love to get another hand reared one eventually.

Reading all of these posts makes me sad :(

I had a Crimson Rosella - she was rescued from the nest of a tree that was cut down. She was so young she didnt even have feathers. I raised her, spoon feeding her porridge etc.

She could say lots of things, wolf whistle, rang like our telephone (confused mum a few times) and was super tame.

Then I moved and couldnt take her with me. So that she wouldnt end up just being caged all the time, I gave her to our local Botanic Gardens and they put her in the aviary with all the other Rosellas. The aviary is huge and she was able to fly properly.

I still visit her lots, but I miss her so much. I often regret giving her away. I want to get another smart bird of some sort in the future when our cat has gone to cat heaven. Such a clever bird.

my birds

I have to say I love keeping reptiles, but birds, especially parrots are my first love. I have kept birds since I was 5 years old. It must be genetic because my dad is a bird freak.
Here are some pics of my parrots.

Attachments

• IMAG0210.jpg
    IMAG0210.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMAG0055.jpg
    IMAG0055.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG0235-1-1.jpg
    IMAG0235-1-1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 55
  • IMAG0214.jpg