Hello everyone! *Price questions inside*

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MSD Reptiles

Reaction score
Gday folks!

29yr old Bendigo (VIC) bloke here.... any other Bendigonians?

After many many years of 'thinking' about getting my first snake (and the fact my exd wouldnt let me) the time is finally here!

My application for licence has been posted, so eagerly awaiting that to return. In the mean time ive been looking at a local pet store for pricing and im curious as to what the best way to go about it is. Ive read that a smaller enclosure to start with is best so the snake feels more secure. The pet store has quoted around $500 for a 2ft enclosure with everything required. How does this price stack up?

The other thing i was curious on was their pricing on snakes:
Proserpine - $299
Spotted - $299
Diamond - $450
Im not 100% sure what they are classed as i.e. hatchling or juvenille, but they are fairly smallish. Forgive my ignorance, i am a complete newbie lol I understand that a breeder is sometimes the better way to go? The girl in the shop i spoke to seemed very knowledgable and looked as though she had a genuine interest.

Im really looking forward to learning more and more about the little creatures and everything that goes with them and from what ive seen, this is the right place to do it. Looks like a great bunch of girls and guys!!

Look forward to your replies!!

Cheers!

Matthew

about the snakes...it really depends on quality of the animal...

I'd suggest shopping around more at those prices, as breeders will give you much nicer animals and better prices. Even if you have to freight them they may still be cheaper.
e.g. I have a beautiful lil diamond hatchie who will be bright yellow, was $280 including freight and the permit to freight...

perhaps go look at the for sale section and compare the price and quality of those animals to the ones you're looking at :)

so do the snakes. You would be better off checking out some breeders on this site and they will give you advice and ongoing help if needed. Pet shops will also try and sell you things you don't really need, so just be careful. I recommend going with a breeder.

so do the snakes. You would be better off checking out some breeders on this site and they will give you advice and ongoing help if needed. Pet shops will also try and sell you things you don't really need, so just be careful. I recommend going with a breeder.

Out of curiousity, what sort of things are not needed that they might try sell me? And what will i require?

if the snake is only small, you only need a click clack, heat mat, thermometer and a thermostat to start off with which isn't very expensive at all, and as above breeders are the way to go (y)

Out of curiousity, what sort of things are not needed that they might try sell me? And what will i require?

They'll try and sell you everything under the sun XD. All you need is a basic enclosure, a heat source, a thermostat, a thermometer. Everything else, such as hides and water bowl, you can use common household items for rather than paying an arm and leg.

And the heat source, thermostat and thermometer you can get online via one of the sponsors a lot cheaper than the pet shop too. Try out Herpshop they have always been wonderful to deal with.

My advice is to contact breeders in your state, the breeders found on here will be willing to help you get started and have a wealth of info, by the sounds of it the pet shop is very overpriced, When I was looking for a Stimsons python the pet shop wanted $495 for a hatchling I contacted a breeder from here and bought one for $150 and he had been handled and is the placided little snake on the planet!!!! Try eBay also they have some stuff fairly cheap for sale!!!! Good luck let us know how you get on.....

There are a couple of breeders close to your area (myself being one) contact us if you are interested(via PM) and we can fill you in with what we have available and the best way to set up.

Last edited:
Welcome to the fun factory, keeping snakes is a wonderfull hobby/pet, I am new to keeping my own(legal)snake and am
kicking myself I didnt get involved sooner :)
Kind regards
Crystal

Mat, depends on what u are looking for in a snake !
there are alot of members on here from melbourne who are always selling top quality stock and will be cheaper than pet shops as they dont commercial rent on there business.
i live in Nsw but fly to melbourne each year to go and see breeders and i do get stock from pet shops but rarely but i do vist there petshops to see what stock and supplies they are selling.
i would recommend saving your money until the next melbourne reptile expo (state or local )event and purchasing from there that way you can see all the different breeders , what stock they have , network with breeders get there name and numbers and pick the best quality python you can !

Many thanks for the info so far!!! :)

Is anyone able to tell me when the next expo in Victoria would be?

What would be a good budget to get the complete setup including snake? Obviously depends on which snake i end up with, but roughly what would be a good price starting from scratch as a guide?

Last edited:
if your starting with a click clack - all you really need is a heatmat, thermostat and feeding tongs, id say $150? if your going with a basic thermostat. plus a supply of food which is about $20 for 10 fuzzies. You can just use household things for hides and water bowls =] plus snake - so say $200ish? so less then $400

Im getting excited!!! :D Thanks heaps guys and girls! Lots of useful information!!

Happy to hear from more people who may be able to assist ;)

Many thanks for the info so far!!! :)

Is anyone able to tell me when the next expo in Victoria would be?

Looking like the third week of Feb 2012......

What would be a good budget to get the complete setup including snake? Obviously depends on which snake i end up with, but roughly what would be a good price starting from scratch as a guide?

$500...

$200 for the snake (species dependant) + $200 for the set up + $25 food + $50 for Mike Swann's Keeping and breedeing of Australian Pythons + $25 for some beers so you can watch it happily when it's all done.

There are a couple of breeders close to your area (myself being one) contact us if you are interested(via PM) and we can fill you in with what we have available and the best way to set up.
highly recomend seeing a local breeder, they breed there own pythons, you will get ongoing help & alot cheaper than petshops. the stuff petshops will try top sell you is- UV light,expensive enclosures,hides,water bowls & very overpriced rodents... talk with your local breeder & see how he cares for his hatchies/yearlings see what he recomends, they should be able to recomend a rodent surplier to.. good luck....

really worthwhile getting the thermostat online too... Habistat pulse proportional is awesome.. And heat cord is cheap for 4m for under a tub

Keep it simple to begin with
Heat pads and heat cords can and do cause problems with cooking snakes
How many threads are there about either the thermostat failing or a heater catching fire???

If I was starting again nothing would change from my present optimum designs

St Vinnies for an old aquarium or china cabinet to suit snake at adult size
Mesh top for aquarium or vents in china cabinet
Place 40w lightbulb inside at one end
Measure temperature after one hour at both ends of viv
Too hot =smaller W bulb
Too cold = larger W bulb

If you really need a heat pad make one from a terracotta or slate tile with a small bulb underneath and ventilation on the sides
Place babies thermometer on tile after one hour
Too hot =smaller bulb etc etc

Unless your room has huge temperature swings this system has every advantage over any other system
Because it is simple nothing can go wrong
It is cheap as chips
It will never cook your slitherer
Most of what you need is probably sitting in your garage right now

If you decide you need a click clack just get a large ice-cream tub
Bung a few holes in it
Grab a small cardboard box and make a couple of holes for a hide
Small terracotta pot plant holder is an excellent water dish
Put tub inside the viv either just on or right beside the heat pad
Measure temp after one hour and adjust position accordingly

So far you might have spent $50 -$70??? and your setup will last the slitherer forever
Simplicity is sweet

forget the pet shop. buy from a local breeder. PM beeman, highly recommend him as a breeder and an honest guy to deal with

Have been in contact with beeman (actually he was kind enough to PM some info). Im very keen on a Spotted or Stimmi and will be heading to see him the weekend after next (hopefully) to check a few out. With any luck my licence will have returned so i'll be able to take my first snake home with me :D

Also thinking about a Jungle as well (as a 2nd snake).... will most likely be checking some out on the same weekend.

IM EXCITED!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back