electricity bills

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mines around $300-$400/quarter thats one adult and the reptile room.. i use cheap forms of heating as in low wattage bulbs , heat cords, ive never used anything with a higher wattage then 60w in the 10 years ive been keeping....thick curtains on the windows to retain heat.. its a small room filled wall to wall enclosures etc.
Prob the biggest power drain in an average day is my computer as it on most of the day/night lol.

we cut down our power useage by about 1/3 and we are still paying more then last year. i think power should be caped at one price

capped? so people earning 20-30K pay the same amount as people earning 100K even tho the people earning more probably have bigger houses, bigger TV's more appliances and generally use more electricity......

mines about $150ish goes up and down, i have been changing out old lights for more efficient ones etc

Our last quarter was about $800. That for me, my brother+mum n dad.
Got only one enclosure, but think most of the charges come from all the computer equipment, hehe
We have 3 pc's, 2 which practically run 24/7, and another 2 laptops, one of those running nearly 24/7 (it goes to sleep when I do or when I go out if its not downloading, haha)
I think its about time the planet went solar, even just partially. Save our money while saving our planet. There's an indian family up the road with solar panels on their roof. I wonder how much they are saving compared to our bill?

I look forward to moving out again. Power was all you can burn included in my $190pw rent, haha
Why is it that people renting don't pay the power bills?
Downside is the food is never as good as mums cooking :p

Last edited:
Power was all you can burn included in my $190pw rent, haha
Why is it that people renting don't pay the power bills?

I rent and we pay for our electricity. Did you live in a share house for your last place? Most places include utilities (gas/electricity etc) in the price of the rent :)

yeah, i am not sure what you mean renters dont pay power. we rent and ours is $1200 a quarter, havent had one since i got my snake, so dont know how much different it will be this time...

What's more energy efficient - a regular of a ceramic heat lamp?

The wattage is what determines the power guzzling. If you have a 100W regular heat bulb it will draw the same as a 100W ceramic. You have to look at unconventional ways of heating to change the amount of draw on your power bill. I personally like the heat cords. Puts the heat down low where the snake is instead of heating the air in the enclosure. When heating the air the majority of it will rise before giving any warmth to the snake. I am getting away with a 25W heat cord in a 4ft tank. The cold end is cold (but the snake still uses it) and the hot end is toasty, right where my snakes are.

I rented a one bedroom unit, and I didn't have to pay utilities. That was a while ago though. Same deal with my mate. The utilities bill were paid by the landlord. Back in those days though I was rarely home and the only appliance using power were my TV and PC on the rare occasion I was home other then sleeping time, haha

So you guys are telling me that power and water are no longer paid by your landlord?

1200 ish but thats with a lot of fish tanks. Just bought solar so Im hoping it helps when its installed. I started a thread on it a while ago.

Latest 1/4ly bill $390. FULL ELECTRIC HOME

3 BR hardyplank and tile home - insulated cealings and wall cavities, full blockout blinds on all windows that go down once sun sets .... makes a huge difference.

2 adults.
Lots of baking (pies, roasts).
8kW split reverse cycle inverter aircon runs 24/7 in winter and summer.
Tastic 4 heat lamp in bathroom that runs about 60min before showers or baths.

I guess our power consumption is pretty good compared with some of you others.
We don't go out of our way to turn off stuff or lights when we are not in the room.

Last edited:
1400-1500 a quarter here.
Me, my wife and 2 teenage daughters....that like to stretch their bloody showers to 20 mins :(

I rented a one bedroom unit, and I didn't have to pay utilities. That was a while ago though. Same deal with my mate. The utilities bill were paid by the landlord. Back in those days though I was rarely home and the only appliance using power were my TV and PC on the rare occasion I was home other then sleeping time, haha

So you guys are telling me that power and water are no longer paid by your landlord?

You get the occasional place that advertises it ,usually private rentals, if renting through a real estate hardly ever, and even then you are really still paying for popwer, its just factored into your rent every week. eg, rent total $190, and say $20 a week of that would go towards power. Nothings for free, especially not power...

You get the occasional place that advertises it ,usually private rentals, if renting through a real estate hardly ever, and even then you are really still paying for popwer, its just factored into your rent every week. eg, rent total $190, and say $20 a week of that would go towards power. Nothings for free, especially not power...

True, but if I were a massive power user, say 5 enclosures and a massive hydroponic system running, that $190 rent per week would be great value. Landlords are lucky I wasn't a bastard, even though they were major dirtbags with a capital "F"! That's probably why these rentals are so rare these days? People abusing it to that extent would cause property owners to rent out at a loss. Would be nice with todays prices though, oh wells...

Try keeping a large collection of dragons. My power costs run at $1200 per month and thats a contracted rate with the electricity supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back