woma questions...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nagini-baby

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
ok so got myself a darling 16 month old woma. hes just perfect except for one thing. hes not eating . ive had him a little over 4 weeks and in that time hes shed and pooped weekly. in good condition but would like him a bit plumper as hes dropping condition due to not eating. previous owner fed every 3 weeks. i have offered every week since he shed and he is quite interested in the food. and will come and have a spiff n check it out but then just slithers off like he cant be bothered. considering all the talk i keep hearing about how food orientated these guys are its not normal.. he was eating larger than what im offering at his previous home however if he doesnt eat it i dont have anything else that will and i dont really want to waste money/rodents. so i was going to give him two until he was eatiing consistently. temps are same as previous home and has never refused a feed with the old owner. having talked to him i was told to hold it or him or he wont take it.. tried that .. didnt work .. considering quail.. any ideas.. dont really want to brain a rat.. and my partner would kill me for getting rat guts everywhere.. also could it be caused by the change in weather? hes only 16 months but as im new to womas im not sure from what age they brumate from..

sorry for the mass of text if you read to the end thanks and please give me info?

one of my womas as a hatchie refused food for about 6 months, tried everything. i was told to try a day old chicken leg (with a bit of flesh and feather on it). went nuts for it, tail wiggling and head bobbing, just followed it up with a rat (just dropped near the snake and close the tub, always went for it) and after a month or so she's never looked back.

the cooler weather can put them off their food, no surprise with a 16 month old. i tend to keep my womas a bit warmer than other pythons too- about 34-36C basking spot.

as far as the feeding response i have only just started to see it after about 3 years, and love it :)

thats about the temp we have him at. as he was a little sluggish so i bumped it up a few degrees and now hes alot more active and seems alot happier. im considering getting either chicken or quail just wanting to know peoples opinions so thanks for the info

What temps do you have him at? And I'm pretty sure I've told you to leave him for 3-4 weeks and not try every week. That's what I did last winter. I think he only ate twice last winter. Just leave it alone, don't bring it out to play or whatever. Don't feed quail, last time I did it took me 2 or 3 tries until it wants to take it again. You don't need to feed quails. It's winter, unless you can get the cooler temps up to at least 24-26 then I doubt he'll try to take a feed.

Is this your first woma? When getting my first snake all I wanted to do was feed them too! And yes they didn't eat either, for awhile. They need time to ajust to their new home and surroundings. But there is no need to panic because as you would know snakes can go quite sometime without food before they will die and 4 weeks is not long enough.:). So enjoy your snake and wait for awhile, as the previous owner fed him well there is nothing to worry about just get him comfortable at your place.

Last edited:
basking spot is around 34/36 the room the tank is in stays warmer than the rest of the house aswell. so at night his cool end wouldnt get below 20. yes this is my first woma but ive kept snakes for a few years and never had an issue.. also snakelove what you told me was that you fed him every 3 weeks and that he was due for a feed when i picked him up. i waited until after he had shed and offered food.as you suggested. after talking to you i left him for a week and offered again. as my snakes eat every week as the majority are still growing i give him the option every week as that way i dont have to thaw out extra until i no hes going to take it. he is in no way brumating hes out every day most of the day cruising around checking everything out. and the same for the early evening. if he was brumating hed likely be curled up in his hide sleeping as my other snakes do. its a little sad that when you ask for advice all you get is belittlement. im not a complete novice ive kept reps for over 7 years. and althought im not as experienced as some i have some clue as to what im doing.

Is the food wet or dry? One of my new womas will eat wet rodents, but the other likes her rodent dried off and fluffed. I hold it still with the forceps and they have a good sniff before politely taking it. Sometimes they will eat if it is left on the floor of the cage, but better if I can get them to take it from the forceps. When they are finishing one, they are quick to follow with another.

Is the food wet or dry? One of my new womas will eat wet rodents, but the other likes her rodent dried off and fluffed. I hold it still with the forceps and they have a good sniff before politely taking it. Sometimes they will eat if it is left on the floor of the cage, but better if I can get them to take it from the forceps. When they are finishing one, they are quick to follow with another.

i had been told this before and have tried it. ive had wet/ totally dry. held and left. im glad you had something helpful to say though as not everyone would think of that. if you have any other ideas im all ears! :) he seems very interested in it and always comes over for a sniff and a lick but thats it..

Where do you get your rats? I'm not joking about this btw, my woma refused a feed when I fed it a rat bought from a pet shop. Then I tried again on the same day, a rat that I bought from a member on here and it took it with no hesitation. You should try that if you buy pet shop rats.

The only other thing I'd say is that quail is very messy coming out the other end ;) Birds seem to lead to very messy, wet droppings, but if you are trying to get a reluctant snake to eat, it's worth a try.

i get my rodents from baden. and some mice i breed myself. but the rats are from baden and im had no issues with them they are all good

and yea i no all about quail.. my beardie gassed the house after eating one of them .. but if it kickstarts the appetite.. i wont complain

Just try to leave it alone for 3-4 weeks. I feel sorry for the woma that it's not eating, coz it was fine with me and never refused a feed. So don't think I'm belittling you what so ever. I just mentioned that I think I'm pretty sure that I told you to feed it after 3-4 weeks.

he may have naturally stopped feeding & he may not resume feeding until September...... when it warms up....... I won't feed any of my adult snakes now until Sept.... if he wont eat after the winter then you have a prob...... I'd just leave him alone warmth in the day & natural temps at night & don't offer him food until September 1st....... he will be fine. I know its hard to get your head around not feeding for the duration of winter but he will be fine........

A few of the snakes I have bought will not eat when I first get them home, others will eat straight away. Your new woma might just need a little time to get used to it's new surroundings.

i think because ive mostly kept anteresia im so used to them being babies until they are a few yrs old so to me 16months seems so young lol my old spotty didnt brumate and go off food in winter until he was nearly four!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back