ID Please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Peninsular dragon i would think with your location as well as its facial markings

Last edited:
I reckon it's a Tawny Dragon (Ctenophorus decresii).

Was it inhabiting rocks?

Looks like Ctenophorus decresii (Tawny dragon) to me

its a twany i have owned all the 3 diff sub from that area twany grey/blue flank with little pattern...

mate I'm pretty sure it's a tawny dragon because where you are located is slightly out of the penisular dragon's range.

Last edited:
Yep looks like a classic colour for a Tawny. When was the pic taken it is very bright i.e. breeding colours so must have been spring or summer?

87batesy,

The area on the side of the dragon below the dark dorsolateral region would have flushed with blue or bluish grey. Also the lips and sometimes the side of the face will often be flushed bluish. That alone is sufficient to distinguish it as a Tawny Dragon rather than a Penisula Dragon. You will also find pale (whitish) raised scales (tubercles) on the sides. These are evident in the photo. In fionna [and vadnappa] all the scales on the sides are similar (homogeneous) i.e. normal flat scales.

In my experience breeding males do not develop that degree of yellow colour, especially in the tail. For some reason your photograph appears excessively yellow. Is that correct?

a male peninsula dragon as i have four of them
It would be worth checking the above diagnostic features against your dragons as they may have been misidentified prior to being sold to you.

Blue

87batesy,

The area on the side of the dragon below the dark dorsolateral region would have flushed with blue or bluish grey. Also the lips and sometimes the side of the face will often be flushed bluish. That alone is sufficient to distinguish it as a Tawny Dragon rather than a Penisula Dragon. You will also find pale (whitish) raised scales (tubercles) on the sides. These are evident in the photo. In fionna [and vadnappa] all the scales on the sides are similar (homogeneous) i.e. normal flat scales.

In my experience breeding males do not develop that degree of yellow colour, especially in the tail. For some reason your photograph appears excessively yellow. Is that correct?

It would be worth checking the above diagnostic features against your dragons as they may have been misidentified prior to being sold to you.

Blue

No doubt about it. The animal in the picture is a Tawny dragon (C. decresii) These species are not difficult to identify from colouring alone, especially the males. I agree with you Bluetongue 1, assadassa has most likely been sold Tawny dragons in place of Peninsular dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back